To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Verna
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Verna » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:06 am

Rich, you are very welcome on the southern porch. The welcome mat is always out, and we'll put a chair out just for you. We leave virtual cookies or other treats sometimes, but our resident pet, Ole Blue, will grab them if you don't move quickly :). We try to encourage each other, share prayer requests, and just have some fun. I hope you'll find this a good place to come often.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:10 am

Good morning, Rich! I'm so delighted that you found the "Porch!" I have been here ever since our "Minnesota Nice" thread disappeared in a computer "crash," or whatever it was, at FaithWriters. Our Porch hostess, BeachGrandma (a.k.a. Mariane) had been such a jolly member of our Nice bunch, I was only too happy to follow her here.

This is the friendliest bunch of new friends. I think you'll enjoy being "home" with us, here. By the way, in case you're wondering how a bunch of northerners are part of the Southern Porch, well, BeachGrandma includes anyone south of the north pole. :lol:

Thanks so much for introducing yourself. I'm a retired RN (which now stands for "Retired Nurse"), a Vietnam veteran, where I served as an army nurse, and also went back as a civilian to work with orphans. Several of us are also preacher's kids (PKs).

Well, that's probably enough for now. We'll have to have a virtual tea party on the porch, as soon as all the sleepy heads get here. We also have an old virtual pet dog named Blue that hangs around here, getting into the virtual treats when our backs are turned. So watch out for him. He can be a bit of a stinker. :P
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

rtodd5011
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby rtodd5011 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:08 pm

Verna wrote:Rich, you are very welcome on the southern porch. The welcome mat is always out, and we'll put a chair out just for you. We leave virtual cookies or other treats sometimes, but our resident pet, Ole Blue, will grab them if you don't move quickly :). We try to encourage each other, share prayer requests, and just have some fun. I hope you'll find this a good place to come often.

Hi Verna! Sounds like a great place I will look forward in getting to know everyone. I even joined in on the PacificCoast thread. So I cant lose either way. Looking forward to getting to know you all.
God Bless,
Rtodd (Rich)

rtodd5011
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby rtodd5011 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Edy wrote:Good morning, Rich! I'm so delighted that you found the "Porch!" I have been here ever since our "Minnesota Nice" thread disappeared in a computer "crash," or whatever it was, at FaithWriters. Our Porch hostess, BeachGrandma (a.k.a. Mariane) had been such a jolly member of our Nice bunch, I was only too happy to follow her here.

This is the friendliest bunch of new friends. I think you'll enjoy being "home" with us, here. By the way, in case you're wondering how a bunch of northerners are part of the Southern Porch, well, BeachGrandma includes anyone south of the north pole. :lol:

Thanks so much for introducing yourself. I'm a retired RN (which now stands for "Retired Nurse"), a Vietnam veteran, where I served as an army nurse, and also went back as a civilian to work with orphans. Several of us are also preacher's kids (PKs).

Well, that's probably enough for now. We'll have to have a virtual tea party on the porch, as soon as all the sleepy heads get here. We also have an old virtual pet dog named Blue that hangs around here, getting into the virtual treats when our backs are turned. So watch out for him. He can be a bit of a stinker. :P

Okay, a party sounds nice. Its the weekend. I will be going to Pinebluff Arkansas tomorrow for my wifes aunt's funeral. But other than that, a front porch party sounds nifty.
God Bless,
Rtodd (Rich)

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Welcome, Rich! We've stenciled your name on one of the rocking chairs on the Porch so feel right at home. If you want to make friend with our cyber dog, Ole Blue, the best way is to bring him some blueberry or raspberry Danish pastries. (You might bring a few extra for me and hide them in the back of the refrigerator of this virtual house we rent for our get-togethers. Hide them well because we have some sticky fingers who always try to get there first. I don't want to name names but his initials are D.O.N.)

Have a nice weekend and we'll look forward to seeing you again soon. You're always welcome here. Please know that! God bless.
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:14 pm

Mariane...there ya go again...accusing me (D.O.N.) of digging around in the frig for your hidden Danish pastries. If Ole Blue told you I did that...well, ya just can't believe him. Ole Blue is probably the one guilty of pastry theft.

Welcome to the porch, Rich!!!

I'm mighty glad to see ya. As you probably can see, the porch is occupied and ruled by women folk. That is not good.

Male survival around here is tough to say the least. Many a good man has come here and left. Them controlling women folk keep tryin' to sweep me out the door and run me off. The scratch marks you see by the door aren't from Ole Blue. They are from me tryin' to hang on by my finger nails.

My name isn't etched onto a rocking chair. It is penciled there, and the women have lots of erasers. I need male team support so we can defend our position by the pan of Danish pastries instead of hiding out here.

:sofa

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Me thinks thou dost protest too much, Don. :lol: Just because Ole Blue pulled the wool over BeachGrandma's eyes doesn't mean he's fooled the rest of us women folk.

You know how much we enjoy your mouth-watering menus that you dangle in front of us. We'd never ever drag you off the porch.

But, I am glad you have another Porch brother to see things from the male perspective with you. :thumbs
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:26 am

Hello, Rich! I post here and on the rest stop one also. :)
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:30 am

Hey, Rich. Nice to meet you. Pull up one of those big wicker chairs over there and make yourself at home. Most folks here like the chairs, but I prefer the swing. Ole Blue joins me and lays his head in my lap. I can't imagine him stealing any Danish pastries. He's so laid back, I'm not sure he'd make the effort to get up to get them. That's how bloodhounds are, you know. Someone else must be responsible for them disappearing. I hate to say it, but I do think I've seen Don with sticky looking red blobs on his chin.

I'm a retired RN as well. My husband Don (no, not THAT one), was a farmer until this year. He has leased out his land and is taking it easy for a few months before he decides if he wants to work part time or not. We live in Texas with our dog and three parrots. Life is good.

Please feel free to share with us anytime, and welcome! :welcome
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:30 am

Verna wrote:
Can't wait to see our great grands soon! One will be a year old Monday and the other, next month. They have brought such joy.

Our youngest grandchild turned one 2 weeks ago and tomorrow she'll be dedicated to the Lord. Norm, her dear Pa, will be doing the ceremony. It will be a special day for both her mother's family and ours. Just prayer the rain eases a little because the chapel won't fit us all in.

Take care everyone and have a wonderful weekend.

Chrissy

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:54 am

Today is March 1, 2014...

March 1, 2013 was a day that will be etched in my memory for the rest of my days. As I think back on that day, a flood of emotions overwhelm me like a tsunami washing over my heart and soul. A year has passed by, but it seems like it happened only yesterday. A full year - it hardly seems possible.

My bride...the love of my life...went on ahead of us that day, and is at rest and peace in a much better place with her Savior and Lord. However, the roses of love we shared together for almost 50 years are still very much alive, and will never fade away from the depths of my mind.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:18 pm

My dad passed away four years ago today. I wish he had told us the family stories from his side of the family, but he didn't talk a lot about his family that I recall, and when he did, he was prone to self-aggrandisment. (sp?) All that's left of his family is one sister in Florida; I wrote her asking about the family stories, but have yet to receive a reply. Parents, please keep your family oral history alive for the following generations. My mom hated writing, as well as using a tape recorder, and we are struggling to remember her family stories, though she has 2 brothers and a sister who are still alive.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Good advice, Deejay. When my mother became bedridden years ago, we provided her with a cassette recorder and 8 cassettes. She filled every one of them with family stories. They are priceless! I wish so much we had done that with my dad but he became too ill too quickly and died 3 months after first being diagnosed with cancer. If you all haven't done it with your parents or haven't done it yourself for your own children and grandchildren, please give it some thought. They'll always be grateful.

Don, I know it's been a difficult year but you've shown us it can be done and that God is your constant companion in times like these. God bless you, dear friend.

I wish I had some chocolate covered pecans. I'm so hungry! Night all.
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Don and Edy---Are you snowed under again? Winter has been vicious this year, for sure for much of our nation. Hope all is well with you.

Don, your life this year through your grieving is evidence that God is with you.

Deejay, I have several cassette tapes of my mom singing hymns and telling me her stories. I have written things for our children, and our daughter has asked me to put my poetry books on tape--and if I ever figure out the tricks that go with the tiny voice recorder I got for my birthday four months ago, I'll do just that!

Betty, I did order your dessert cookbook!

Happy Birthday, Chrissy--Hope it's a great one. We attended our "greats', dedications on Mother's Day.

We had a wonderful time with the family for the little princess's birthday. I saw more babies in one place than I have seen for awhile. Ella was not impressed with her bite of cake.

Rich, I believe you've moved to the other coast and stayed. Honest, we're glad you stopped in, and you're welcome to visit often.

Mariane, I'll have a brownie and a cup of caramel coffee with you --via heart links!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 pm

No more snow on top of the hedge-high drifts, Verna. We're just soaking up more sub-zero weather to tide us over any summer heat waves we may have heading our way...hopefully! :brrr :roll: :P
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler