To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Betty, I wanted so much to read your books online but I don't have a thingy, whatcha-ma-call-it. Do you have them in any other format? And now you're completing another one? Oh, shoot. I hope everyone on the Porch has a thingy and they'll read them.

And let's not forget Verna's 2 great coffee table or bedside books of poems. I love reading them over and over! They're still for sale on Amazon.

Ever since Jan mentioned a lemon meringue pie on Facebook, I've craved one. I have all the ingredients, now all I lack is the get-up-and-do-it.

Have any of you ever had a bone infusion for osteoporosis or know anyone who had one? My doctor said my bone scan shows significant osteo and wants me to have the infusion(s). There is a risk, though, however small, and it concerns me. In the area of my jaw and neck where the osteo is bad, there is a chance of the bones there developing necrosis (which means dead), in which case I would have to have surgery to remove dead bones. The thought is very frightening to me but he said if I fall now in the shape I'm in and at my age, I could break some bones very easily. Does any of this ring a bell with you to give me insight about whether to proceed or not with it?

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Mariane, I have a dentist that is very knowledgeable and takes all the time needed to answer questions. When my sister was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer, it was discovered (?) because she broke her collar bone. (My question mark means things didn't add up for me. Rachel only had metastasis to the bone. Even her lymph nodes, when they did the mastectomy, 12 of the 14 nodes had no cancer found.) Anyway, part of her chemo included the sort of intravenous med for bone involvement.

When my dentist heard that, he told me (and I could see the concern in his eyes) that what Rachel was going through was not without risk. The risk was necrosis of the jaw bone. I forget if he ever had a patient he treated as a result.

But, when my physician at the VA told me I have osteoporosis and she wanted me to go on medication for it, I told her what my dentist said. She wouldn't even consider discussing it!

You might guess that I have a lot more confidence in my dentist than my doctor!

My VA doctor did ask me if I'd take vitamin D and calcium, then, since I refused the Rx, and I told her yes (since I was already doing that). From continuing education I've learned that calcium needs magnesium to be properly absorbed, so I'd recommend that, too.

That's my experience, but not a recommendation for your situation, Mariane. Yours isn't the first time I've heard of "what if" prescriptions being offered and accepted. Doctors have reason for concern and would be remiss if they didn't do all they know to do for a patient.

But, weighing the pros and cons can put that patient in a bind, can't it!

If it were me, as you might have guessed, I would decline the offer and see what other alternative your doctor suggests that might have fewer "cons" connected with it. I guess I would rather risk a fracture than necrosis of a jaw bone.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:19 pm

Mariane, I don't have a "thingy, whatcha-ma-call-it" either. I don't even know what it does...so I'm no help in that department.

I've never heard of a bone infusion for osteoporosis either. I have poor bone density (osteopenia) that is a precursor to osteoporosis. My poor bone density is likely a result of radiation therapy for cancer treatments. I have broken several bones over the years - mostly ribs.

I guess I probably shouldn't fall down so often...and also maybe consume more calcium and magnesium.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:30 pm

Mariane, I think Edy gave you great advice. I used to take and oral med for osteoporosis, but quit when it began to give me horrible heart burn; I mean almost unbearable. I do know the oral versions have a lower risk for causing deterioration of the jaw bone, but it is still possible. (And guess what? A DENTIST first told me of this risk). My MD told me the benefits outweighed the risks, and after doing my own research, I did start taking the med. I keep saying "the med", because I can't even remember what it was called, but it's an old one - the original one, if I remember correctly.

If I was told today I needed the infusion, I think I would decline. I do continue to take my calcium with Vit D. I like the idea of the magnesium as well. Gentle exercise, like walking, is beneficial, too. I grab the dog and we walk around the neighborhood. You live on the beach, so you have a perfect and lovely place to walk.

You don't need a whatchamacall it to read my books. They are ebooks, readable only on Kindle, but you can download the app to your computer or other device for FREE. My sisters didn't think they could do it, but both did. They said all they had to do was click, and it was very easy. Here's the link to my first book, if anyone is interested. Look to the right, underneath the purchase option and there is a place to download the Kindle app. I may do them in hard copies at some point, but it wont' be for awhile, if I ever do.

http://www.amazon.com/Faylenes-Biggest- ... gest+catch

And yes, please don't forget about Verna's poetry books. She writes the most thoughtful and delightful poems. Give them a read and see for yourself.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:49 pm

In order to battle against this cold winter day (5 degrees) in MN, I am going to make a Chow Mein Hot Dish and pop-overs for my dinner tonight.

I'll put the hot dish goodies into two smaller casserole dishes, then, freeze one, and put the other in the oven an hour before dinner.

Pop-overs are easy and turn out great if the right pan is used. Yumm!

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Don, are we invited to dinner? It sounds delicious.

The med I used to take was Fosamax. The name just popped into my head. I wanted to post it before I forgot it again. LOL!
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:19 pm

BettyDee wrote:Don, are we invited to dinner? It sounds delicious.

Of course!!!

Dinner will be served at 5:30.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:48 pm

p.s. Another thing my dentist reminded me, of something I learned in nurses' training: our bodies are constantly in repair mode. We have osteoblasts and osteoclasts, one designed to carry away old bone material, the other designed to rebuild with fresh material.

What the dentist told me is that the bone meds do not, as one might suppose, promote new bone density. Rather, they prevent old bone from being recycled, in essence leaving the bone in an older more fragile condition.

Perhaps you've noticed Sally Field advertising some bone med now missing from the tv. I don't know if they took the med off the market or not, but I heard report of a study where women taking the med were suffering more fractures than those who didn't take it.

And, that makes sense to me.

Another thought: astronauts experience loss of bone density because of time spent away from earth's gravity. Their bones aren't stressed enough to keep them healthy. But, it isn't a permanent situation. I suspect I was diagnosed with osteo because my appointment was near the end of winter. I know I don't get as much exercise outdoors when ice threatens to bowl us over! :P In fact, I think I come from peasant stock, more Clydesdale work horse than race horse. So, I was dumbfounded when told of my bone situation.

That prompted me to do a bit of research. You might check amazon for a book titled "The Myth of Osteoporosis." The diagnosis might not be all that it's cracked up to be - or wasn't at the time the book was written.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I prayed for guidance and I believe God sent it through you. I immediately called my doctor's office and told them to cancel any appointments they were making soon for the bone infusion until I go back for my regular appointment in 3 months. But I'm certain from hearing your experiences that I won't agree to it. At my age I don't need anything else to worry about let alone jaw necrosis. Thank you for your quick response. I was put on Vitamin D and 2 kinds of calcium, too. I didn't understand either why I would ever have osteoporosis because I've always loved milk and drink it with meals every day of my life and have since I was a child. I feel so much better after getting your messages on here. I love you all to pieces! :grouphug3 :grouphug :grouphug3 :grouphug :grouphug3 :grouphug :grouphug2
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Since heavier-bodied women stress their bones more than feather-weight women, they are less likely to suffer from osteoporosis. So, you have another incentive to gain back lost weight, Mariane. 8)

I wish that were my problem! While I figure the Lord has reasons for letting me carry extra pounds, I do miss my 23-inch once-upon-a-time waist. :(
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:46 am

I have gained some. I'm up to 107 and my blood work this week was very, very good so I'm happy about that.

I love Will Rogers and I''ll bet you all do, too:

Will Rogers, who died in a 1935 plane crash in Alaska with bush pilot Wiley Post, was one of the greatest political country/cowboy sages this country has ever known. Some of his sayings:

1. Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco.

2. Never kick a cow chip on a hot day.

3. There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.

4. Never miss a good chance to shut up.

5. Always drink upstream from the herd.

6. If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

7. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it and put it back into your pocket.

8. There are three kinds of men:

The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.

9. Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

10. If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.

11. Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back.

12. After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring.
He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
13. And one of my favorites: Be glad we don’t have the government we’re paying for.

ABOUT GROWING OLDER...

First ~ Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.

Second ~ The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.

Third ~ Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

Fourth ~ When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth, think of Algebra.

Fifth ~ You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks.

Sixth ~ I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.

Seventh ~ One of the many things no one tells you about aging is that it's such a nice change from being young.

Eighth ~ One must wait until evening to see how splendid the day has been.

Ninth ~ Being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable and relaxed.

Tenth ~ Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, it was called witchcraft.
Today it's called golf.

And, finally ~ If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:48 am

BeachGrandma wrote:
(singing): "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, sweetest name I know;
Fills my every longing, keeps me singing as I go."

Mariane Holbrook

Here's the rest of that song:

HE KEEPS ME SINGING

There’s within my heart a melody
Jesus whispers sweet and low,
Fear not, I am with thee, peace, be still,
In all of life’s ebb and flow.

Refrain

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus,
Sweetest Name I know,
Fills my every longing,
Keeps me singing as I go.

All my life was wrecked by sin and strife,
Discord filled my heart with pain,
Jesus swept across the broken strings,
Stirred the slumbering chords again.

Refrain

Feasting on the riches of His grace,
Resting ’neath His sheltering wing,
Always looking on His smiling face,
That is why I shout and sing.

Refrain

Though sometimes He leads through waters deep,
Trials fall across the way,
Though sometimes the path seems rough and steep,
See His footprints all the way.

Refrain

Soon He’s coming back to welcome me,
Far beyond the starry sky;
I shall wing my flight to worlds unknown,
I shall reign with Him on high.

Refrain

:superhappy

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:42 pm

I've always been a strong walker most of my life. In school, the other kids would tease me when I walked around the playground instead of playing games. I look younger than my years--who's laughing now? :lol: I've been heavy at least since I was 12, though I've lost and gained weight several times. And I've been a heavy milk drinker since my youth--but today, about the only time I drink milk is in my breakfast cereal. Occasionally I will go out and buy a single serve milk to drink. I buy the tetrapacks of ultrapasteurized milk. The reason I've cut back on milk consumption is because I share a refrigerator with 4 roommates--not much room. If I had my own place, I'd be drinking milk by the gallon, and did when I was a kid. I also used to use lots of antacids for heartburn when I was a teen. and doctors say that's really built up my bones. Mom took Fosamax for osteoporosis, and she had to stay sitting upright for half an hour afterwards. And yes, it bothered her stomach.

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:38 pm

I've had my encouragement (Not one song that I've heard today compares with those beautiful old hymns!) and my smile . Thank, Will! I've even had a good ad by my promotional assistant. :)

My problem is not osteoporosis, but osteoarthritis. (Mariane, I think you have that one--only worse, along with the other! I'm so proud of you for how you do not let it get you down. I'm glad our residnt nurse (dear Edy) and others could give you advice. I had a cortisone infusion in my foot about 13 years ago, and it did the trick to prevent me from having to have surgery--for which I'm thankful. This week I found out that arthritis has been busy working on one of my hips. I don't know how bad it is yet. After the xray, all the doctor said was, "Your hip is talking to you. I'll line you up with a hip doctor.

Can't wait to see our great grands soon! One will be a year old Monday and the other, next month. They have brought such joy.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

rtodd5011
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby rtodd5011 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:11 am

Hi folks,

My name is Richard and I am originally from Arkansas. I moved in 2010 when my wife and I got married, and reside in Mississippi. I am in need of some friendships. I have been at Faithwriters for a year now. I have learned a lot. I am a bit of a loner, and a introverted extrovert. I guess that means I really desire to come out of my shell and have a life. I am disabled, and my wife is a RN. So when i'm not in group on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, I am at home alone most of the day. Writing has become my way of tapping deep inside me and bringing all my heart out on paper. Its tough but very rewarding. I hope to get to know some of you and hopefully I can break the ICE and make some lasting friendships. Usually when I make a friend I do my best to stay in their life. I recently had a really good internet friend pass away that I knew since 1999. He was only 43 and had a severe stroke and went into a coma. I know he is in heaven rejoicing but I miss our chats and prayers and just being there for each other. Looking forward to hearing from you,

Rich
God Bless,
Rtodd (Rich)

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler