To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby Shann » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:35 pm

Come out and play Shari!!! :clown
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Toni Hammer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby Toni Hammer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:45 am

Awww. Thanks for the shout out, Shann. The past two weeks retroactively make up for the thing I wrote this week. I'm scared to throw a brick when the time comes. :shock:

And I second the kudos to Rachel. She's inspired me to write a story without a conclusive ending. Maybe not this week, but soon.
Praise be to the Lord my Rock,
who trains my hands for war,
my fingers for battle.

--Psalm 144:1

http://www.tonihammer.com

RachelM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:27 am

Congratulations, Toni! That is so awesome that you got a first place and an EC!! :thumbs :superhappy

Jan challenged me to write something dark. I think I went too far! It was 1850 words before I started trimming. The story was just too complex to try and cram into 750 words, but it was an interesting experiment, and I've lost my fear of writing about something ugly.

I thought about wrapping the end up all nice, but it just didn't seem real.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:03 am

I'm glad you didn't Rachel, too many people make the mistake of tying stories into a neat little Bow. I used to routinely cut a thousand dollars words or more from my stories. I've gotten better though.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:09 am

!800 is about normal for me. I had one I could not get enough cut off and wound up having to place it in the general submitions instead. I think the hardest one to cut back on mine (besides that one) was 2300. At least I saved the original for later. "Beyond the Mirror" turned in to a rather long piece. :roll:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Toni, I noticed you received a lot of constructive critiques. Did it discourage you or make you think you didn't belong her or did you see it as a genuine desire to help you move from a fantastic writer to an outstanding one. Even if you didn't agree with the points made, did it help you because you needed to process it and decide what was best for you?

Please be honest. If it's easier you could PM if you don't want your answers for all to see.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Toni Hammer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby Toni Hammer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Ya know, it's funny. Lynn sent me a similar message about how much red ink I got this week. You guys are so sweet.

It doesn't bother me. I think about every comment made. If I agree with the feedback I do my best to implement it in future writings. If I think someone was just grasping at straws then I'll just move on. For instannce, you telling me chitchat is one word will stay with for-e-ver. :D I sincrely appreciate anyone willing to read what I write, let alone leave feedback. I've been so overwhelemd the past few weeks by all the positive comments I've received. I didn't think my writing was all that great--just friends and family blowing smoke if you will.

I think if all I received was red ink comments on something, my ego would take a hit, but it's sprinkled it amongst very kind support so I'll take it.
my fingers for battle.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Yeah it is when you get all rave and praise, and then you read it again and find outstanding mistakes that no one said a thing about.. thats when you need to worry. :lol:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:03 pm

That's how I feel. Some people or most people only give fluff, even on horrible pieces (no Pup I'm not talking about you) people will say they love it. Now if I tell you I love something, people tend to believe it. No matter what, there are always positive things to say about each piece and I always start and end with compliments.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Toni Hammer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby Toni Hammer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:15 pm

Yeah, I'd be nervous if all I got was happy compliments. I'm still new to offering feedback and am struggling a bit. I was trying to say something nice about every piece I read, but sometimes an article just doesn't work for me. Now if I really like something I comment with the specific reason(s) why. If I didn't "get it" I just don't comment. If i have some red ink comments, I normally limit those to possible typos and/or punctuation errors. Since I haven't been writing "competitively" for long I don't feel I have the proper ability to critique sentence structure, tone, etc.
my fingers for battle.

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:48 pm

Everyone says that and my answer is you may have been writing for only a bit, but you likely have been reading since you were five. After all that's who we need to please the reader, not other writers. I learned the most when I challenged myself to read and comment on every entry. I can't do it all the time, but it makes a difference when I can. I always start with a positive then a constructive (if I see it and feel God leading me to leave it) Then end on a positive. I'll go through the criteria the judges use: beginning, ending, crafting, on topic, clear message or point, transitions and I'm forgetting one.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:26 am

Shann wrote:Everyone says that and my answer is you may have been writing for only a bit, but you likely have been reading since you were five. After all that's who we need to please the reader, not other writers. I learned the most when I challenged myself to read and comment on every entry. I can't do it all the time, but it makes a difference when I can. I always start with a positive then a constructive (if I see it and feel God leading me to leave it) Then end on a positive. I'll go through the criteria the judges use: beginning, ending, crafting, on topic, clear message or point, transitions and I'm forgetting one.

Actually, you're forgetting two. ;) The other two are flow ,and publishability for its targeted audience.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:33 am

I knew the publishable one, but don't use it for myself and thought flow was part of transitions.

It's nice to see you pop in though. It's been a while :D

I need to go to bed but have so much to do
Shann

Shann's Profile

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:42 am

Shann wrote:I knew the publishable one, but don't use it for myself and thought flow was part of transitions.

It's nice to see you pop in though. It's been a while :D

I need to go to bed but have so much to do

Actually... you're right. I just didn't catch "transitions." To me, though, flow is slightly different from transitions. You can have great transitions and yet have poor "flow" within each section, if that makes sense. And it is technically "flow." So it's pretty much the same, but... not quite? lol

And I need to go to bed too.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Toni Hammer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby Toni Hammer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:46 am

Go to bed, you silly ladies! :) I'm headed there myself after I edit my submission for this week three or four hundred times.
my fingers for battle.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler