To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:10 pm

The mail delivery person is so irregular with his delivery times that I never know when to expect him. Using my binoculars, I can check 8 or 10 mailboxes down the street for outgoing mail flags, but that doesn't always work.

The neighbors probably think I'm spying on them. :lol:

I have thought about designing an alert system for my mailbox that would send a electronic signal to a receiver in my house when the box door is opened.

After thinking about it, that might not be a good idea. The sight of wires, batteries, and electronic gear mounted inside my mailbox might cause the mail guy to get a bit nervous. :?

I don't want the Department of Homeland Security breathing heavily down my neck...or maybe even locking me up. :shock:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:55 pm

We only get bills in our mailbox so I'd be happy just going to the mailbox once a month, Don. :D

Did you all know these facts about Abraham Lincoln whose birthday is today?

ABE LINCOLN, THE MEASURE OF A MAN
by Mariane Holbrook

With decomposing bodies wilting in the summer heat,
The foul stench was far too much to bear.
The dead were placed in piles on that bloody battlefield
Then buried in mass graves; no time to spare.

They numbered in the thousands, all the wounded and the dead;
At Gettysburg, a place that turned the tide.
To honor those who died at war, some nearby land was bought
To build a cemetery of great pride.

The ceremony speaker was a renowned orator.
Ed Everett was the best the crowd had heard.
Yet after it was over and the guests had all gone home,
Nobody could recall a single word.

The president was asked to give a short speech in response.
He stood erect and didn’t miss a word.
His speech was just two minutes, not two hours that Everett took.
Abe felt his speech was bad and most concurred.

The critics had a field day and they ripped his speech to shreds.
“The speech was flat as dishwater,” they said.
“How could a man so powerful shame everyone this way?
This speech deserves to be destroyed instead.”

“It’s awkward and it’s juvenile,” declared the media.
“The metaphors ridiculous at best.
The speech itself is way too short, insulting our brave men.”
The writing world was vastly unimpressed.

Yet history books are kinder and the Gettysburg Address
Is memorized by children everywhere.
“It’s right up there with Shakespeare and the Bible” people said.
“We’ve never read a speech that can compare.”

Historians have asked where Lincoln got his writing style.
His childhood home had few good books to read.
But Pilgrim’s Progress, Aesop’s fables and the Bible, too
Were all it took to make this man succeed.

His writing was laborious; he rewrote several times.
“A master of the metaphor” some said.
His speeches seemed like prose poems and were brilliantly conceived;
The finest writings many’d ever read.

He wrote a mystery story of a court case that he tried
While he still practiced law in Illinois.
His well-known sense of humor was reflected in his prose.
He wrote quotations that we still enjoy.

The weight of war, his troubled wife, his enemies all served
To fill this writer’s life with great torment.
His moral fiber stood the test and now this humble man
Has proved to be our greatest president.
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Mariane, that is an exquisite piece of epic poetry that leaves me wanting more. I had no idea he'd written a mystery. Can you tell us the title?

How interesting that the "common man" recognizes and appreciates genuine greatness, while the media elite can miss the point.

Thanks so much for sharing your work with us! :thumbs
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:03 am

Thank you, Edy. Abraham Lincoln's murder mystery was titled "The Trailor Murder."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/a ... r-7794088/

Abraham Lincoln, True Crime Writer
While practicing law in Illinois, Abraham Lincoln defended a man in a highly unusual case and later recounted the mystery as a short story.
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:40 pm

How fascinating, BeachGrandma! Thank you for bringing Lincoln's story to the light, or I suppose I'd have never known about it. :?

It reminds me of a story my dad told from his country-school teaching days. While I no longer recall the particular details, a man in a position of respect (a county/school treasurer of some sort?) was charged with murdering his fiancé. But, for some reason, he was acquitted of the charges.

Dad said we might be able to find newspaper accounts of the whole affair, except I don't recall if this happened near his birthplace town of Pelican Rapids, or elsewhere. Anyway, the story goes that the victim in question resided at her brother's home. She and this treasurer (by my dad's description of him, he was no young lady's dream come true!) had been engaged, but she kept putting off setting a wedding date.

The brother had gone upstairs to bed while the engaged couple remained in the parlor. She was occupied in playing the piano/or pump organ, while the treasurer apparently pleaded with her...to the point of threatening her. Now, I don't remember if the brother heard a shot, or a scream, or what. But, when he came running, the suitor blurted out, "I didn't mean to do it!"

I think his claim was that SHE brought out the gun and he tried to get it away from her when it went off, hitting and killing her. So, I guess there was reasonable enough doubt for the jury that found him not guilty.

But, in my recollection, my dad said that the whole town knew he was "guilty as sin" and his story about his fiancé just didn't hold water for the people who knew the characters in this mystery.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Mariane, thank you for sharing that poem. Excellent! Growing up in IL, we had to learn a lot of details about Lincoln in grade school. I remember going to visit my sister's house as a teen. She had just gotten married, and her husband was a student at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston. Right across the road from them was a park. There was some sort of shelter there with a historical marker that said it was the site of many of the Lincoln-Douglas debates. I used to just stand there in awe that I might be standing exactly where Lincoln stood. When his family came to IL from KY, they went right through the county where I lived. The junior college there is called Lincoln Trail College.The story goes his family had a cow that died and they buried it on what is now someone's farm. Isn't that odd? I would think they might want to consume it, but it's said they didn't know why the cow died. Interesting, if true.

Edy, your story also reminded me of something where I'm from. In Crawford, County, IL, there was a death (murder?) in the 1800s. It's said a woman, Betsey Reed, poisoned her husband. She was found guilty, although many to this day question the verdict. She is the only woman ever to be hanged in the state of Illinois. Every year in Palestine, IL, they have a "Betsey Reed Festival" and have coffin races, etc. Seriously. Weird, macabre, and maybe a little bit fun, too. If anyone is interested, the story is told in detail in the book "The Hanging of Betsey Reed." It's quite interesting.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Is there a big red quarantine sign around here? You know...a sign like this: Quarantined!!! I need one of those to keep other folks safe.

It seems that somehow I allowed a nasty bug of some kind to slip through my defenses, and launch an offensive attack on my head...and more. That bug has been attempting to sneak inside over the past several weeks, but without success...until now.

Today is big-time sneezing, nose running, nose blowing, coughing, body aches, head ache...all goin’ on at the same time. That’s a bummer!!! With my already weakened immune system, I must watch such things carefully.

Yep, I’m gonna stay close to the house for the next few days. I’m well stocked up on most things, so I’m good in that department.

Maybe the bug will get bored and leave.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Allison

Postby Allison » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:44 am

Posted from my Facebook page, but in case you aren't on Facebook...

Today marks one year since my hip replacement surgery... Something I never thought I'd have to do before I turned 30, but I'm so glad I had it when I did. I'm doing GREAT, with only minor twinges of pain on occasion. I'm walking better than I have in years, and I've even signed up for an untimed 5K in April, the Color Run. I've been wanting to do a 5K for years now, but never quite had the motivation to actually get out and get moving so I could do it, until now.

I am so thankful for all God has brought me through in my life, and that He has been faithful this past year. I attribute my recovery with NO setbacks to Him, and I'm so grateful.

I Peter 5:7 (NKJV)
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Allison wrote:Posted from my Facebook page, but in case you aren't on Facebook...

Today marks one year since my hip replacement surgery... Something I never thought I'd have to do before I turned 30, but I'm so glad I had it when I did. I'm doing GREAT, with only minor twinges of pain on occasion. I'm walking better than I have in years, and I've even signed up for an untimed 5K in April, the Color Run. I've been wanting to do a 5K for years now, but never quite had the motivation to actually get out and get moving so I could do it, until now.

I am so thankful for all God has brought me through in my life, and that He has been faithful this past year. I attribute my recovery with NO setbacks to Him, and I'm so grateful.

I Peter 5:7 (NKJV)

It's been about 10 months since my daughter (age 46) had her hip replaced. She recovered well with no issues, and her new hip feels absolutely normal with no pain.

At one time she enjoyed running, but has told me she won't do that again.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:42 am

My goodness, Don. Take care of yourself and please don't breathe heavily near your screen and printer where the germs might filter through to all of us. :lol:

Edy and Betty, I love your stories you posted today. Anything about Lincoln or about history fascinates me. Have you all seen the movie "Lincoln" that came out several months ago?

Allison, I'm glad about your good recovery. All healing can be attributed to the merciful hand of God and He deserves praise for it, even though He let surgeons do the cutting and sewing. I'm thankful for every person God has given that knowledge to, every surgeon, everyone in the medical profession.

To everyone else who posted since I was online, give yourself a hug for me! :D

If I've posted the following before, please ignore it. I don't want to search back through all my postings to see if I did or not. :-) I thought it was cute:

STUDENT WHO OBTAINED 0% ON AN EXAM
I would have given him 100% for his wit!!!

Q1. In which battle did Napoleon die?
* his last battle

Q2. Where was the Declaration of Independence signed?
* at the bottom of the page

Q3. River Ravi flows in which state?
* liquid

Q4. What is the main reason for divorce?
* marriage

Q5. What is the main reason for failure?
* exams

Q6. What can you never eat for breakfast?
* Lunch & dinner

Q7. What looks like half an apple?
* The other half

Q8. If you throw a red stone into the blue sea what it will become?
* It will become wet

Q9. How can a man go eight days without sleeping ?
* No problem, he sleeps at night.

Q10. How can you lift an elephant with one hand?
* You will never find an elephant that has only one hand..

Q11. If you had three apples and four oranges in one hand and four apples and three oranges in other hand, what would you have ?
* Very large hands

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:16 am

Oh, oh! Time is running out...make that it ran out...on wishing all the sweethearts around the Porch a happy Valentine's Day on the 14th. Well, with Jesus, the Lover of our souls, every day can be Valentine's Day, can't it!

Too cute to keep to myself, especially today...with apologies to some professors:

Professors Define a Kiss
Prof. of Computer Science: A kiss is a few bits of love compiled into a byte.

Prof. of Algebra: A kiss is two divided by nothing.

Prof. of Geometry: A kiss is the shortest distance between two straight lines.

Prof. of Physics: A kiss is the contraction of the mouth due to the expansion of the heart.

Prof. of Chemistry: A kiss is the reaction of the interaction between two hearts.

Prof. of Zoology: A kiss is the interchange of unisexual salivary bacteria.

Prof. of Physiology: A kiss is the juxtaposition of two orbicularis oris muscles in the state of contraction.

Prof. of Dentistry: A kiss is infectious and antiseptic.

Prof. of Accountancy: A kiss is a credit because it is profitable when returned.

Prof. of Economics: A kiss is that thing for which the demand is higher than the supply.

Prof. of Philosophy: A kiss is the persecution for the child, ecstasy for the youth, and homage for the old.

Prof. of English: A kiss is a noun that is used as a conjunction; it is more common than proper; it is spoken in the plural and it is applicable to all.

Prof. of Engineering: Uh, What? I'm not familiar with that term.
:thumbs :razzberry :oops:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:26 am

ready2go wrote:Is there a big red quarantine sign around here? You know...a sign like this: Quarantined!!! I need one of those to keep other folks safe.

It seems that somehow I allowed a nasty bug of some kind to slip through my defenses, and launch an offensive attack on my head...and more. That bug has been attempting to sneak inside over the past several weeks, but without success...until now.

Today is big-time sneezing, nose running, nose blowing, coughing, body aches, head ache...all goin’ on at the same time. That’s a bummer!!! With my already weakened immune system, I must watch such things carefully.

Yep, I’m gonna stay close to the house for the next few days. I’m well stocked up on most things, so I’m good in that department.

Maybe the bug will get bored and leave.

Don

Howz you feeling, Don?

Bugs are nasty critters but I hear that they hate music. Try playing something that might send them packing. Perhaps "leave me alone" by the veronicas or "I don't care what you say anymore this is my life" by Billy Joel.

Or, take 2 aspirin, followed by a cup of green tea with honey and go to bed.

;)

Get well quick.

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:43 pm

Mariane, Thanks for the great poem about Lincoln, and thanks to you and Edy for the smiles.

Don, Hope you're well soon. You can keep the "bug" in Minnesota, along with the SNOW. We had 10 inches of the white stuff this week with some ice midway through that kept us "buried in" for four days. It was great to get out yesterday and to get to go to church today. We hated to miss our Bible study Wednesday night.

Allison, I'm glad you had a good recovery from your hip surgery.

I'll think of you all still in the snow this week when our weather (according to the weatherman) will be 70 degrees. That's the good thing about living in the South.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm

HAPPY PRESIDENT'S DAY!

Hope everyone is feeling better by now. So far, we have managed to escape illness this winter. Not looking forward to spring allergy season, but I think the fall ones are worse for me.

I've been working in the yard and have most of my flower beds cleaned out. I can't WAIT till time to plant them. I have a few perennials greening up now. Hope to see some blooms in three or four weeks. Anyone else love to garden?
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:47 pm

I wish I had a garden, both vegetable and flower, but there's no real place for one where I live. One of my roomies has flowerboxes on the front porch, but nothing spectacular comes of them.

I'm at church today, using the Wi-Fi because the libraries are closed. My plans on organizing my stuff are coming along okay so far. Yesterday after church I went to 2 different stores to compare prices on under bed boxes, and found a better price at one store. Since I already bought the file box I wanted, along with a 3" binder, I can start organizing after I buy the one under bed box today--if it's not too late when I leave here--or tomorrow after housework and laundry. I plan to buy another under bed box in March, and a third in April. So now I can do my closet, then the nightstand and 5 drawer cart, as well as my file box, and finally the dresser.

Normally I'm online M/W/Sat., but yesterday I went to a baby shower for one of our staff members, who's expecting another boy. This is her second child.

The only problem with being alone at church is you hear all these odd noises--and it's not just me, either.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler