To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:49 am

Don, the ground hog is probably more accurate than the weather bureau. On another weather-related subject, what do hurricane experts do after the hurricane season is over. I mean, they predict the worst hurricane season in a decade and there isn't even one. I know the government (with our taxes) pays these weather experts good salaries but I can't see where they'd have much to do from late September til next June.

And on still another subject - Anybody wanna try this and tell me if it works?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=40 ... =2&theater
Mariane Holbrook

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:38 am

About the groundhog, my Grandpa always said, "If he sees his shadow, 6 more weeks of winter. If he doesn't, it's a month and a half."
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Yesterday using binoculars I was watching a guy preparing to ice fish directly out from my lake shore. He was using a power auger about 3' in length to drill the hole.

I watched to see how far down the auger went before it broke through the ice. When it broke through there was only about 6" of auger visible. That told me the ice is two and a half feet thick. :shock:

Unless we have some unusually warm/hot weather in March, April and early May, the lake won't be ice-free until at least June. That might be a record-breaking late date for the lake ice to melt.

The ground hog's prediction of 6 more weeks of winter was optimistic. Winter (with ice still on the lake) will be another 8-10 weeks beyond that. :?

May 10th is Minnesota's fishing opener date. Lots of fishermen won't be happy. :x

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:28 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:
And on still another subject - Anybody wanna try this and tell me if it works?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=40 ... =2&theater

I will have to see if I can find the video on youtube. For some reason, I can hear the audio but not see the video when people post them to facebook. Only if the link takes me to another website can I see what's going on.

So, I can't answer your question, except to say that egg shells come off easily when I salt the water before boiling them.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:32 pm

I haven't been feeling the best for a few weeks now and in the past 48 hours my throat has closed up. It's not what I call sore or painful only when i cough. The cough is like sharp daggers but then the throat just goes back to being tight. I've been very tired. Too tired to do much of anything.
I pop in from time to time but by the time I catch up on the posts I'm too tired to reply.

Going back to bed.

Chrissy

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:34 am

Sorry you are not feeling well, Chrissy. Praying you are back to normal very soon.

Don, that is a lot of ice. I've never understood the allure of ice fishing, but then, to my husband's dismay, I really don't like any kind of fishing that much.

We are in for a couple of very cold, record setting days tomorrow and Thursday. It is not supposed to get above 30 either day and upper 20s is more like it. This has been a very cold winter for everyone.

I have my second book almost complete. It should ready for Kindle in just a few days. Have been having a lot of fun with the characters. The series is a trilogy. It will be kind of sad when I finish book three, but I plan to go onto other things when I finish it.

It's late here and I'm off to bed. Y'all behave.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 am

BettyDee wrote:

Don, that is a lot of ice. I've never understood the allure of ice fishing, but then, to my husband's dismay, I really don't like any kind of fishing that much.

Minnesotans are born with a natural instinct for fishing. The opening day of fishing each spring is almost a state holiday. That exciting day is hyped weeks in advance for equipment sales, productive lakes, boat sales, latest fish-catching techniques, and for lake resort reservations.

In my pre-Minnesota days I did some fishing with my grandfather, but I could take it or leave it. Then, after I imported into Minnesota 53 years ago, I succumbed to peer pressure and joined the fishing crowds. :roll:

My wife Carol, a natural born Minnesotan, would rather fish than eat or sleep. Imagine that! :lol: Note: That placed a whole different slant on peer pressure!

I haven't done much fishing the past 7-8 years, but that's okay. Before that, plenty of walleyes were caught for many enjoyable fish fries.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Well, that explains it, Don. Even though both of my parents were born in Minnesota, I was born in Wisconsin. I remember going along with friends twice, once ice fishing, another once on a beautiful sunny summer day on a lake, chewed up by mosquitoes. :x What a hugely boring miserable waste of time! - was my conclusion.

And, I don't even have much appetite for fish! :shock: :P :mrgreen:

So, now I know. I'm not a Minnesotan, after all! :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:07 pm

Well, Don, my Don was raised on fishing, too, but it was gulf fishing. They went after things like drum, sea trout, redfish, and red snapper. I try really hard to like fishing, but I just don't. If it's a pretty day, I don't mind hanging around watching the pelicans and seagulls try to steal our bait, though. :lol:

Edy, you and me both!! We are kindred spirits.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:45 pm

Have you ever had "one-of-those-days" when you wished it were possible to turn the day back to 6:00am so you could start it over again?

:roll:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Let me introduce you to the Greatest Woman Fisherman Of All Time: ME.

I am my daddy's girl. He would have fished 24 hours a day in upstate New York when I was a kid, if he could have. John and I have been coming to this beach in NC since we were first married and finally retired here. I often went on the pier and stayed all afternoon, all evening and until about 2 or 3 am. John would bring some lunch or supper to me or I would get a meal on the pier restaurant. I absolutely loved to fish. I made so many friends and even wrote a series of articles for the local newspaper one year about the people I met on the beach and the pier and the crazy things that happened to me during those years. People loved it! The friends I met on the pier would come back to fish year after year and often asked the pier owner, "Where's Mariane?"

One very funny thing happened one night at the end of the pier when I went out to fish. A woman was standing alone there and I stood beside her, cast my line out with my traditional flourish, and struck up a conversation with her. She told me her husband had died in Raleigh that week and she had driven down to the beach alone. I quickly said,"Oh I'm so sorry! That's awful! How are you handling it since it happened so recently? I'm terribly sorry!"

She turned to me and said with a smile, "Oh don't feel sorry for ME !! I'm FREE now that he's gone. I never had a minute's peace when he was alive and now I can do anything I want, go any place I want, do anything I please and no one yells at me. So don't feel sorry for me! I'm having a WONDERFUL TIME !"

I almost fell off the end of the pier, no kidding!

:rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling
Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:39 pm

More fish stories...

Carol loved to fish too. One time we were out in our boat fishing, and Carol cast into a school of nice size crappies. She hauled in one fish right after another.

I didn't get to fish 'cause I was kept busy baiting her hook and unhooking the fish she caught. Neither of us kept track of how many fish were put in the boat's live well, but it looked crowded and was beginning to worry me. Keeping fish over the legal limit would be very expensive if we got caught (could lose fishing licenses, our gear, and maybe the boat).

I convinced Carol to stop fishing until after I counted the ones she had caught. By the way, it's tough to count them when they are swimming around in a live well. The final count was almost double the legal limit.

Much to Carol's dismay I started tossing her fish back into the lake so all would be legal. Then, we would need to head back to shore and home.

She was mad at me for a long time after that because I disrupted her fun by not keeping count of the fish she had caught. :x

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:39 am

It's hard to throw fish back, Don. You can't keep some fish caught in the ocean if they are over a certain size and sometimes it would just about kill me to have to throw them back. But with several fishermen watching me on the pier and teasing me, I knew I had no choice because any one of them would have been delighted to squeal on another fisherman for any violation.

And speaking of fishing, John ran into the editor of the local beach newspaper and he asked if I would send in one of my fishing humor columns to be printed each week. I did it several years ago but he said there is a whole new audience out there and his new readers would love the stories. John told them I probably wouldn't commit myself to writing something new every week because my health isn't all that great, so the guy came up with the idea of printing those from my archives. He said he could dig into his archives but he thought I might want to go over them before printing in case I wanted to make any changes. So I said I would do it, starting soon. I used to get calls nearly every week from people who liked the humor column but one call was from a very irate manager of the Victoria's Secret store in Wilmington who took great issue with a column I wrote about shopping in her store. She threatened to sue the editor if he didn't print a retraction but he laughed at her and said, "Go ahead and sue us! We've had more comments and laughs about that column than any other thing we've ever printed. A judge would laugh you right out of court when he read it, so go ahead and sue us." But she never did. hehe :tongue :tongue :superhappy :superhappy

Last edited by BeachGrandma on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:42 am

On another subject, here's something you all might enjoy. I love these:

Paraprosdokians (Winston Churchill loved them) are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and is frequently humorous.

1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you ... but it's still on my list.
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
5. We never really grow up -- we only learn how to act in public.
6. War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
9. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
10. In filling out an application, where it says, "In case of emergency, notify..." I answered "a doctor."
11. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.
12. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
13. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
14. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
15. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian, any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
16. You're never too old to learn something stupid.
17. I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:36 am

Okay, BeachGrandma, you did it - now you have to post that Victoria Secret story, here, for our edification.

Please don't leave us dangling, wondering what was so funny .... :wink:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler