To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

'Even to them that believe on his name'

For those who like to discuss and debate theology. This is a forum for people who enjoy strong and lively debate with people who may not be likeminded. Participants are requested to always treat other opinions with respect.

Moderators: mikeedwards, cori67, RedBaron

Colswann1
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

'Even to them that believe on his name'

Postby Colswann1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:59 am

A Sunday School child dies and we have no problem in believing that he has gone to be with the Lord. That child knows nothing of deep theology or grown in what we call sanctification. The dying thief on the cross just believed in Jesus and gets a passage to paradise (we've got to believe that). In consequence, we must believe in the death-bed conversions we hear of--again just belief and nothing more.

John chpt 1 verse 12 'But as many as received him, to them gave he the power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: K.J.V.'
Above I have given three examples of people being saved through just belief, without showing the any works that we would normally expect and judge in a person who has been saved and going to heaven. Do you think all persons who have a belief that Jesus is Lord will be accepted, even if like the above child, or the dying thief, they never showed what we Christians would expect them to show in their lives?
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

Paula22466

Re: 'Even to them that believe on his name'

Postby Paula22466 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:43 pm

This question is one I've given a lot of thought too because of family members. They confess belief in Christ yet they have no works. Although James put's it pretty plainly where he says, "faith without works is dead," I also believe God will put some true believers "on the shelf," after a time of disobedience where they remain unused by the Lord and therefore lack the blessings that only come from serving God.
Every thought is a seed. If you plant crab apples don't count on harvesting Golden Delicious. - Author Unknown

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:09 pm

And then there's John 3:16--For whosoever believeth in me, shall not perish but have eternal life."

I believe children RETURN to heaven, because of Matthew 19:14--Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

As far as deathbed conversions, I believe if they are sincere in their beliefs, and are truly remorseful and seek forgiveness, they will go to heaven.

The thief was remorseful and went to heaven, so I have to believe that my mother, who found Christ in the last months of her life, and sought forgiveness for her sins, also went to heaven.

As for the faith without works, I think that applies to people who think their belief in Jesus is a free ticket to heaven, and they can do anything they want without guilt and be forgiven for it.

That's the gospel according to Lynn. :lol:
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:16 pm

Colin wrote:Do you think all persons who have a belief that Jesus is Lord will be accepted, even if like the above child, or the dying thief, they never showed what we Christians would expect them to show in their lives?

A child who dies has had no chance to live long enough to "show" or demonstrate his/her Christian faith. And the dying thief came to Christ just before he died, so his life ended before he could live what he came to believe.

All who believe (thoroughly convinced or fully persuaded) in the Lord Jesus Christ are saved.

As per the assurance by works, etc., Jesus doesn't add any addendum/exceptions.

In His own words:
    "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life (John 6:47 NKJ).

What happens after salvation, and whether one's faith should be on display through his "works" as as a criteria for being "accepted" is another discussion. :D

Blessings,

Lillian
    E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

franabelle
    Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
    Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby franabelle » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:15 pm

I am glad that God is the gatekeeper. I don't think any of us are wise enough to know for sure about another person's salvation. I love every opportunity to share the Gospel and even to urge another person to put his/her trust in Christ; however, I believe only God knows the heart. I have prayed with many people as they made a decision to ask Christ into their heart. It is always a thrill. I have known quite a few people, though, who made a decision and then seemed to fall away.

I used to think of myself as an evangelist, but have come to see myself more as a spiritual mentor. I teach unemployed adults and help them get trained to get back into the work force. When I ask a student about God in his or her life, I often hear a story of hurt and disappointment. "I used to believe that, but now..." or "The people at my church were great until...." Then follows a story of an unwed mother, or a divorce, or a financial need, or maybe a church that kept asking for money, or a preacher who ran away with his secretary.

These are usually people who "made a decision," but for whatever reason became disillusioned. So now, instead of trying to sort out whether this person is truly saved or not, I try to act as a foster mom to this abandoned child and help him/her to read the Bible, pray, get back to church, etc.

I'm so grateful to be in a position to listen and encourage. It is a rare day that I don't have an opportunity to minister to someone. I can't always be sure of the person's spiritual condition. I share a lot of Scripture and a lot of love and give a lot of hugs and leave the outcomes with God.

franabelle

Return to Theology Discussion and Chat