To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

selling articles

Your place to interact directly with the owners of FaithWriters.

Moderators: mikeedwards, itsjoanne, beaedwards, RedBaron

healinghope
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

selling articles

Postby healinghope » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Hello Mike:

I got an offer from someone to buy an article. I have never done this transaction. Could you please give me some idea of what articles on faithwriters sell for, if you are privy to that information? I realize that the length would make a difference, but I am wondering if it goes by word count or just a flat rate. Also, if I sell it do I have to delete it from faithwriters, or how does this all work? Is there some procedure to follow, or is it totally up to what I work out with the purchaser?

Thanks for your time, John Clark

tomoral
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: selling articles

Postby tomoral » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:53 pm

Wow! Congrats on your article. I have never had anyone want to BUY one from me, only use them on their sites. That is very exciting news! :coolsign

I will leave your answer up to Mike or Bea, or you might want to contact them via email, so they might get to it quicker. Or you could send a message to Deb Porter, the site administrator.

Just had to say Congratulations! :bow
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Generally it is sold per word or sometimes per article. I know some devotional companies will pay $25 per devotion.

As for leaving it on FW, it would depend on which rights you are selling. You definitely would want to look into that. If it's all rights, then you no longer own your article and it would need to be pulled from FaithWriters and any other place.

Hopefully they are just buying a one-time use right and the article still belongs to you. I'd look over the contract carefully and make sure it's what you want and what you're willing to do. I'm excited for you. I hope I answered some preliminary questions for you. If you have any more you should send a PM to Mike or Bea :coolsign
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 pm

John, I also congratulate you on the sale. My curiosity hat is on...Would love to know if this article was listed in your Faithwriter's Author Page.

Blessings,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

healinghope
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby healinghope » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:08 pm

Your comments have been very helpful. One more question. What is a reasonable amount to charge per word?

healinghope
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby healinghope » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:15 pm

No, it was not on my Author's Page.

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:16 pm

It really varies depending on type of work. Here is an excellent article on freelancing
http://www.freelancewriting.com/article ... -rates.php

Also, a must have for all serious writers is Writer's Market. It comes out each year, but an older version will be helpful too. The public library often will have copies. There is also a Christian Writers Market that is great too. According to them, they give a range for magazine articles with a low end being Ten cents a word and the high end being at one dollar a word. That would also depend on whether you are selling one time rights (which a price would be lower or all rights would be a bit higher).

I'd encourage you at the very least to go to library and borrow a copy of Writers Market or buy one.

Also remember, to figure in taxes too. If you get paid for your writing (and live in US) you'll need to report the income to the IRS. Something like Writer's Market would be something you could use as a business expense and be used as a deduction. So keep the receipt. :D

I hope it helps.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Oh you might want to check this thread as wellhttp://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/ ... =35&t=4090

It's about the different types of rights. Many people don't realize that posting an article on the Internet counts as published. This thread has a great summary of the different types of rights.
Shann

Shann's Profile

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:09 am

Oh NO! I unintentionally lied! I sold "Cajun's Money" to Page and Spine for 20.00 just a few weeks ago! My memory is not what it used to be, for sure. :roll:

But I did have to submit it, I mean they didn't just come along and give me an offer. :lol:

They have all rights to it, but I didn't take it off Faithwriters, they didn't tell me to. Maybe I should check into that? :?
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

beaedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby beaedwards » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:26 pm

My appreciation to all you faithful forum-ers. :bow

I seem to be out of loop again so it's marvelous to know you are there!

healinghope
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby healinghope » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks for all your input. Let me ask you folks if my asking price is about right. I am selling the article to be used one time in a magazine for $25. It has about 470 words, which figures out to roughly 4.5 cents a word. Is that reasonable in view of how the article will be used? If it is too high maybe I will come down to $20. Please tell me what you think. I emailed the potential buyer of my price and he seemed interested and said he would call me to discuss this deal, but so far has not done so.

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:43 pm

That sounds reasonable to me. I know the Upper Room pays $25 for a devotion and the word count has to be under 500 (or is it 250) words.

Lynn, if they own all rights, you may want to take it off FW. Technically it's not your property anymore, unless you changed or edited it a great deal.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Return to Mike & Bea's Corner