To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

A Late Bloomer

A place for new members to introduce themselves and to be welcomed to the FaithWriters' Community. Don't be shy. We love meeting new brothers and sisters in Christ.

Moderators: RedBaron, beaedwards, Shann

TheReverendKelly
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

A Late Bloomer

Postby TheReverendKelly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:13 am

[color=#0000FF]Hello, I am new. My name is James Allen Kelly. I might be what you call a late bloomer. Many people begin writing when they are fifteen or maybe earlier. I have epilepsy and bipolar. I feel that I am good at expressing myself through writing.
I feel privileged to be here. But we will find out if I have what it takes to become an accomplished writer. I did well in college as I minored in the field of Christian Journalism while attending school at Johnson Bible College. I also did very well in essay and public speaking contests. But that was a long time ago.

Presently I am an administrative pastor with an emphasis on youth. I developed a growing campus ministry during the last five and a half years. I am looking forward to getting feedback from those who are willing to help an older gentleman to be a better or more accomplished writer. This means a lot to me. I am a missionary, pastor l am married to Edena, A. Kelly and we have one son named Stanley D. Kelly. I have had twenty six years experience as a youth minister. It really is good to find this web site. Thank you very much!!! :thankssign :D :book2 :coolsign

RedBaron

Re: A Late Bloomer

Postby RedBaron » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi and :welcome
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

RachelM
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Welcome! I'm so glad you found you're way here! I hope that FaithWriters will bless you as much as it has blessed me. Try out the weekly writing challenge. It's lots of fun and great motivation for regular writing.
God bless!
~Rachel
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby lish1936 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:00 pm

Welcome, James.

Psst...Let me tell you a little secret. There are more than a few "older" Faithwriters. So jump right in, arthritis and all. :lol: It really doesn't matter how late you bloom, only that you keep blooming.

Blessings,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi and wlcome to FW.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Welcome to Faithwriters, Reverend. From one late blooming, bi polar to another. I only started really writing 2 years ago, and I am 62 now. This is one fine place to land, kind sir. :bow

We bipolars make fine writers, because we have been to the valley and the mountain top, so to speak. Writing comes from the soul, and ours have definitely seen it all and now find peace with Jesus!

You will find the best writers, people, and friends here! :thumbs

Blessings, Lynn
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

TheReverendKelly
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby TheReverendKelly » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:52 am

I want to thank you for welcoming me here. I really love it here. I am finding that each of you are challenging me to write. I have already written two articles today alone. I want your help and your expertise.
One of the greatest quotes from Stephen King was when people came up to him and said, they too had a desire to be a writer, and Stephen King used to be polite. But now he tells people then why don't you! Writing has been in my blood a long time. I just never really took it seriously.
You have challenged me to write and I am going to be doing as much as I can with the silver membership. I would like the gold or platinum, but I cannot afford it. I am a missionary pastor, working in the Philippines. I do thank you for your kindness and look forward to getting to know each of you better. God Bless You All, The Reverend Kelly. :D :coolsign

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Welcome Pastor James. I'm delighted that God led you to this marvelous site. It has totally changed my life and lifted me up during some dark times.

My son is at Duke Divinity School right now pursuing his calling to become an ordained United Methodist minister. He has always had a passion for camping and hopes that some day he can be a camp director. although he still feels the calling to become ordained and possibly be a minister in a church some day.

I did see the one piece you wrote and left some comments there for you. You may want to check out the general submissions section too. I know how scary it can be to share your most intimate thoughts and stories with complete strangers. Luckily most of the people here have a true desire to help others thrive and learn to be better. Even if you get what you might feel is a negative feedback, try to remember that it is truly coming from a place of love and a genuine desire to help others.

If you like the site and decide to upgrade there are even more benefits and opportunities. If you can afford the few dollars a month it is so worth it. We also have a conference coming up this summer that is a wonderful opportunity to connect with other writers and have some great workshops and fun.

I've been a member for 4 years and I can't tell you all the wonderful things that have happened to me because of this site. I think the biggest blessing is the friends I've made. I didn't think it was possible to have such close friends from all over the world. I talk to many on a regular basis. Next is having my stories published or being ready to publish. Seven stories won an Editor's Choice in the challenge and my testimony will be in the soon to be released Triumph Over Trials anthology. I also self-published my first picture book, which because I am a platinum member, the book can be found on the site's store.

FW is an awesome site, but can be a tad overwhelming because it's so big, but here are some tips for you.

People here are of all ages and have experience ranging from virtually none to having published some books. It sounds like this is a perfect fit for you! We also have all kinds of genres. My favorite is children's books, but we have devotions to Biblical fiction to testimonials and how to books to sci-fi and romance.

The biggest draw to FW would be the writing challenge. It's a great opportunity to ask for some honest feedback on your piece. There are four quarters each year with ten topics in each one that are related. The new quarter started on Thursday. The topic is Day's End. One thing the challenge does is encourage me to think outside of the box. One of the best advice I ever received was once you see the topic, jot down the first five things you think of, then throw them away because it's likely what everyone else is thinking of too. If you really feel drawn to that idea, try to tell it from a fresh POV (point of view)

The word count limit has helped me learn to tighten my writing up quite a bit. The deadline has also helped me on my procrastination. I still wait to the last minute, but am writing on a more regular basis. There is also some excellent reading material there. I try to read and comment on every piece, though lately I haven't been able to do that as often as I would like.

Another great perk for platinum members is the Critique Circle. It is a great place for paid members to receive a detailed critique on their work. Just recently, they have allowed members to pay so much a page for detailed feedback. This is for silver members or members who want a critique but don't have the time to critique someone else's work. That's how the circle works. Each time you leave feedback, you receive a credit to allow you to post a piece and to get a constructive critique. I've found that by leaving feedback for others, I also learn a great deal about what works or doesn't work in my own writing.

FW is a great place to meet other Christians and writers. I also think it's awesome because there is people with all kinds of experience here from having published book to having never really written much at all. People here are great encouragers and willing to share their knowledge with others. The Open Forum is a great place to ask questions about writing and publishing.

You also can find a wealth of info and a variety of people on the boards. It's also a great way to make friends. A great place for writing tips can be found at Jan's Writing Basics. It might be a bit overwhelming to post at first, but I'd urge you to bite the bullet and jump in. Jan is wonderful at giving invaluable feedback to everyone who tries her thread and posts their "homework."

Also The Water Cooler is a great place to meet people. They have topics that range from regional areas to just popping in to say hi. Another great place to go is Prayer Requests. It's wonderful to be able to request prayer and to lift others up in need.

Fw is much like a family. There is something for everyone. The people encourage, support, and love each other. Welcome to the family!

I hope I gave you some places to start. The site is huge and there are so many wonderful things here. You may want to check out the FAQ thread as that may answer many of your questions.

Have fun exploring, jump into conversations and don't be afraid to ask any questions. :welcome
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

buckspub
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby buckspub » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi James. I'm a newbie here myself. It's a pleasure to meet you.

Buck

Return to Newbie Nook