To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Free reads for reviews feedback

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, Sparrow, RedBaron, cori67, itsjoanne, beaedwards

Dave Walker
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Free reads for reviews feedback

Postby Dave Walker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:08 am

I'm wondering what other people's experience is with the Free Reads for Reviews program. I have four free reads from August/September which have as yet not produced reviews. (Also two from October and the beginning of November, but I guess that's a bit too early for a result.) I've written to the four and have had a reply from one with an apology -- she had started a new job and my book got put on the back-burner.
Any similar experiences?
I suppose the fact that anyone visiting the site can take advantage of the offer means that we probably should expect some attrition.

beaedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Free reads for reviews feedback

Postby beaedwards » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi Dave,

Playing catch up after the Holy Days :)

Mike and I both posted reviews on your book hmmmm

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:48 pm

I did too Dave. Have you not seen any or are missing some? I only did an Amazon Review because when I first started there wasn't a spot to do FW review so I didn't realize it until I put my kids book up for free reviews.

I've had three I think, but only one person reviewed it. Now your book was a bit longer, so I guess you have to ask what a reasonable time is. My book only takes five minutes to review. I would think 2-3 months is more than long enough.

I worried that the person didn't like the book and preferred to give no review instead of a bad one.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Dave Walker
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Dave Walker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:50 am

Thanks, Shann, Mike and Bea for your generous reviews. They're all up and running.
I think I'll drop the subject. Perhaps I'm being ungracious. There might be good reasons why the others who requested my book have not reviewed.

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mikeedwards » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:32 am

Dave, Keep the faith and remember how long it took me to finish and get my review up. I am reading too many things at once as may probably are. I like your proactive stance in contacting the reviewers though. Everyone who adds a book to the program should do this.

I do know that several of the reviews on Dave's book are from FW members. The ones that have been mentioned plus Abby Kelly and Winnie Kaetzel also reviewed the book since the start of this program. There are 19 reviews on Dave's book and there may be a another one or two that came about from Free Reads.

FYI - We encourage people to review the book on Amazon primarily. I have seen many reviews that were only on Amazon and not on FW from the program. We are building an email list of people that want to be notified of these books as they come into the program. Hope to get it to at least a 1,000. This way every time a new book goes into the program there are immediately 1,000 potential reviewers. It will take time to build to 1,000 though.

:thankssign Mike
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

Dave Walker
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Dave Walker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:27 am

Thanks, Mike for your continued encouragement. Yes, I appreciate that most writers are also avid readers and probably, like me, have about three books on the go at the same time. Also, if you don't have an e-reader it is more of a hassle to pull out your computer every time you want to keep reading, so the paperback gets preference!! :?
I think I should be VERY grateful for the fantastic reviews I have received and also the spontaneous emails that have landed in my inbox from those who have read God in the ICU and been touched. To God be the glory, always.

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mikeedwards » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:08 am

I do not want to be negative here, just realistic. If you want reviews you must be persistent and steadfast. I will use my book for example.

My book http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006XG0ID4/ref=r_soa_w_d has over 40 reviews and has consistently been in the top 5 books on Amazon for the two categories it is under. I have had many emails about the book too. It has been downloaded thousands of times and most of the reviews are from Amazon readers that I do not know. I say this to point out that some people obviously like the book. That said I cannot tell you the number of people who have told me they will review the book and have not. It has been well over 100.

I can honestly say this because I have had close to 300 bulk orders for the book in print to be used in outreach's (they must have liked the book to order books to hand out, some orders were for several hundred books) and only 43 reviews. We gave out 4,000 copies at a Christian concert in Michigan last summer to mainly believers (to read and hand out) and we specifically asked them for a review. To date I do not think any of those people reviewed the book. I know an author who has had 6,000 copies of an excellent book downloaded during a free period on Amazon and only a handful of reviews to show.

You need reviews but getting enough reviews is not always easy. If you want them you need to be bold and ask and follow up. Unfortunately Christians are not always the most reliable as it seems they should be. You need to network and FaithWriters is a great place to do this. I know that Dave's book is being read by another member we referred it to and it will produce another review.

If your book is in the Free Reads for Reviews program http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/readsfor ... tbooks.php you need to be diligent and get the interested party a copy as soon as you can after their request. Prepare and be ready for requests so you do not need to scramble when you get one. When you send them the book let them know just how much you appreciate their offer and how you are looking forward to their review. Follow-up on those who get a copy. Do not look at it as if they owe you something because you gave them a copy of your book for free. Be appreciative and thankful towards the reader. Be an example of Christ.

We are also running an incentive for FaithWriters members to read and review books. The top reader and reviewer will win $150.00 The link can be found on this page http://ebooks.faithwriters.com/readsfor ... tbooks.php

Blessings, Mike

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:43 am

This is a little off topic, but not totally. How do we get people to review it? I've told people I'll review your book if you review mine. Unfortunately, my book literally takes 5 minutes to review while other books take quite a bit longer so it's hard for me to do that for too many people.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

WriterFearNot
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby WriterFearNot » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:52 pm

I thought I'd jump in here just to give Dave a hint of what might be going on in the mind of his potential reviewers:

The battle for use of time is at pitch height. Today it seems there are so many "things to do," so many options for good opportunities that for many, time is limited. I'm interested in the "free reads for review" program, but that interest conflicts with the 20+ unread books I already have in hardcover and on my Kindle. I actually did contact an author for a book I was interested in reading to review, but I never heard back from her. So I moved on, and not to another free read, but to my already-full queue of books!

I may peek back into the free reads/review program sometime later...

Theresa

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mikeedwards » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi Shann,
We have promoted the program to members on the site, on a special FB page, in FB ads and in ads on other sites. I have also posted a message on several other free book FB pages. We also have a list we are building where people sign up to be notified when new books are added.

Since you know so many people on the site I would ask some of the members you critique and review regularly. I would also ask everyone else you know.

There has been issues with authors not responding to requests. I took one person out of the program who I could not even get a hold of. The problem is that like Theresa, these potential reviewers can go away if they are not contacted quickly.

Blessings, Mike

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks Mike, I have started asking a few more people. I appreciate the encouragement. :D
Shann

Shann's Profile

Return to Open Forum