To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

If you were the only........

For those who like to discuss and debate theology. This is a forum for people who enjoy strong and lively debate with people who may not be likeminded. Participants are requested to always treat other opinions with respect.

Moderators: mikeedwards, cori67, RedBaron

Paula22466
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: If you were the only........

Postby Paula22466 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:56 am

Thank you Colin and Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Every thought is a seed. If you plant crab apples don't count on harvesting Golden Delicious. - Author Unknown

david_ian

Postby david_ian » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:07 am

I think humans were the one who came in with the concept that something has more validity to it if more numbers are involved, and the less numbers involved, the less significant it is. Love is qualified, it is not quantified, and God is love.

He endured the Cross for the joy set before Him (Heb 12.2) and here's one more thing to think about with this whole transaction here; since you're the only sinner, that also means that you personally would be tacking Him to that Cross-- make it a little harder to look Him in the eye when it was all said and done. And yet Jesus would still endure this.

David_Ian 8)
Pick for The Week Link: FOR FUN Hero and Nemesis Have "The Talk" <--Click Here

David's Writings, Musings & FOR FUN

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein '

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:03 am

Supposing Jesus died for me, the sole sinner, and I spurned his gift of salvation?

In the bigger picture there are some saved and some lost (cost effective), but no result in the sacrifice for one, would be a waste, and you who believe in favoured election would have to concede a mistake had been made.
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Mon May 19, 2014 8:01 am

Just seeing this now, and interestingly enough, it's something that has been on my mind a lot lately. I am somewhat bothered by slogans like "If God had a fridge, your picture would be on it," or "When He died on the cross, your face was in front of Him". And don't get me started on songs like "Just for Me," with lyrics like:

Just for me, just for me
Jesus came and did it just for me
Just for me, just for me
Jesus came and did it just for me

Hello! Self-absorbed, much. Our "me" generation may like to think this, but I don't believe so. The problem with the word "just" in that context is that it is an adverb meaning "only," and that doesn't sit right at all. Sin entered the world through one man, but it spread through everyone after that. The sacrifice was for everyone, but He did not do it "just for me."

Now I know that's not what Colin asked originally, but it got me up on my soap box. It was a great, thought-provoking question he raised, and I stopped and wondered, again, if Jesus would have come and died for one sinner, and I honestly don't believe so. All creation needed to be reconciled back with the Father, and that required an enormous, perfect, once only blood offering (something God implied at the time of the Fall).

And that's where the wheels come off the question. There was never going to be only one sinner. That barn door has been open for a very long time, and the sin horse has well and truly bolted. What Colin's question does is actually point to the fact that some Christians today have a need to point everything back to themselves. By doing so, they are, perhaps, taking the focus off Christ and His sacrifice. Instead of Christ-centered, the Gospel becomes me-centered.

Just my two cents worth. Getting off soap box now and going to bed. :D

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

jo555

Postby jo555 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:28 am

Chiming in . . .

Love what Deb said. I feel the same way when believers seem to talk about the law :cop as if it is a bad thing. I think at times part of the problem is that we are so focused at extending grace to the offender, that we tend to miss the serious damage our offenses can cause to the recipient.

That said, I believe Jesus would have died just for me because I do believe He has chosen me to spend eternity with Him and He loves me more than I can comprehend.

It may be man's way of personalizing the experience, but in doing so we have to be careful because we can go to the opposite extreme of my personal issues with "It's not about me" motto. I wrote a piece once entitled "Is it really not about me?" Basically I stated that it is also about me and my personal relationship with the Lord, but that is the smaller picture that needs to be found in the larger picture of "Father uniting his children in Christ and displaying his glory so others can see and come".

Other may not agree, but how I see it of now.

A link if you want to read the whole thing:
http://ambassadorsforjesus5.com/1_movin ... t_about_me
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

BEING
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby BEING » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:33 am

I would say yes, simply because the bible says that God desires all men be saved (1 Timothy 2:4). The bible also gives the parable of the shepherd leaving the 99 sheep to search for/rescue the one sheep that went astray, and how much he rejoiced over that one sheep (Matthew 18) It would seem as if God desires to show His abounding love for each and every one of us by still sacrificing for just the one.

What an awesome way for God to demonstrate His desire for a personal relationship with each one of us!!!!!
Total dependence on God is what I'm aiming for...

Check out my new blog: www.createdbeing.blogspot.com

jo555

Postby jo555 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:28 pm

BEING wrote:I would say yes, simply because the bible says that God desires all men be saved (1 Timothy 2:4). The bible also gives the parable of the shepherd leaving the 99 sheep to search for/rescue the one sheep that went astray, and how much he rejoiced over that one sheep (Matthew 18) It would seem as if God desires to show His abounding love for each and every one of us by still sacrificing for just the one.

What an awesome way for God to demonstrate His desire for a personal relationship with each one of us!!!!!

Great bible references brought to the table.
:thankssign
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

Previous

Return to Theology Discussion and Chat