To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

On a More Serious Note - Are Mars and Venus Really that Diff

A good critique is an invaluable tool for improving your work.

You can now use the Critique Circle at the this link: http://www.faithwriters.com/critique-circle.php

For REGULAR ARTICLE SUBMISSIONS, leave a request for an article review from other FaithWriters members on this forum. Be sure to leave the url to your posted article. Or post your article on this forum for review by other members.

Moderators: Deb Porter, RedBaron, cori67

jo555
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

On a More Serious Note - Are Mars and Venus Really that Diff

Postby jo555 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Are Mars and Venus Really That Different?

Deep calls to deep
in the roar of your waterfalls;
all your waves and breakers
have swept over me.

By day the LORD directs his love,
at night his song is with me—
a prayer to the God of my life.
~Psalm 42:7-8

Awhile back John Gray wrote a book that became a huge hit. Many of you probably remember it. The book entitled “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus” held surprising new insights regarding the different languages men and women speak. I don’t recall all it contained and don’t believe I read the whole book, yet I did read a follow-up book by John entitled, “Mars and Venus on a Date”. My brother put it in my hands. Guess he thought I could use help in that department seeing I was somewhat clueless, and according to the book, seems bro was right. I was one of those rare Venetians that lived on Mars. That seemed to explain a good deal of things.

But enough about me, this all seems to be just another layer that springs from the deep. When it comes to the heart of things, are we all really that different?

As we peel back the layers that divide us, we will find at core there is a common language we all share. It is a bridge that holds no biases. No matter how different things may seem, this language crosses the boundaries of gender, race, cultural differences, social status, political affiliation, and dialects.

Additionally, it is known alike by the young and old, immature and mature, unlearned and learned. Those we have labeled as “mentally challenged and special needs” are fluent in it. Babies know it even before they learn to speak. It puts us all on the same playing field.

So what is this universal language we all share? The unspoken language of the heart. Like the wonderful colors of a rainbow, the language of the heart is expressed in a variety of emotions.

Sometimes we are blue with sorrow, sometimes we are red with passion and excitement. Other times we are pink with shyness as we blush.

This wonderful language that we share has been given to us by our Creator who openly expresses Himself through emotions. It all springs from his great love for us for God is love.

One cannot truly understand an emotion by being told about it or reading it. That is like standing in someone’s shadow. Unlike a script or mere words, emotions are alive. They are the expressions of the essence of a person, and they breath. If we are to move out of someone’s shadow and truly take hold of them, we need to enter into them. If we are to understand another and allow them to mold our lives, we need to experience them. We need to have an encounter with them. We need to dive into their hearts and swim in it. At the least we should know God like this, then allow him to connect us with others as He sees fit.

I may not agree with you regarding the dynamics of the surface details, but I have known joy and sorrow, love and hate. I have mourned and I have danced. I have laughed and I have cried. No matter how you spell it, pronounce it, or where it is derived from, pain is pain. What on surface manifests as differences can find common ground in the waters of the deep. We may not all agree on how to stamp out hunger, but we can all grieve for the devastation it brings.

Am I advocating that we build our own "Tower of Babel"; a bridge to life, one of our own uniting and making? God forbid. With that said, we can understand that this bridge helps to get beyond the differences between us, and close the gap that divides us, as we come to see ourselves in our fellowman. At core we are all broken and frail clay pots in need of the Potter's Touch.

Therefore I want to encourage all through those moments in our lives that appear to be shrouded in darkness, circumstances not lit in the Light of Christ. God has not left you, He's doing a deeper work in you, calling to you from your place at the surface and inviting you to his place in the deep. There you will find your comfort and home held inside his Heart.

This doesn't mean that we won't experience sorrow in our humanity in its present, fragile state. Although we can take comfort in knowing our Lord is not a foreigner to pain. He knows what it is like to be misunderstood, betrayed, rejected, and the recipient of unrequited love. Our Heavenly Father delights in sharing this intimate journey with us. To hold us close to his Heart as we share our true colors with Him, and in his wings of Love we will find shelter from the storm.

This is where Venus and Mars, and all of humanity in all its variety, were meant to find their commonality and home, in the Light of his Son. Jesus is our Advocate and the only Bridge into the Heart of God. He was made to be broken bread and poured out wine so that we can partake of his Life; to move from the shadows of darkness into his glorious, transforming Light and be swallowed up by Love.
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

jo555

Re: On a More Serious Note - Are Mars and Venus Really that

Postby jo555 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:39 am

The big question for me here are the last three paragraphs. When I started this piece I wanted to concentrate on our similarities as we go deeper. I wonder if my last three paragraphs, if it seems like I take off on a whole new topic to the point that it may be taking away from my main point. I wanted to speak on the things I mentioned in those last three paragraphs as I believe they are important, but maybe a more condensed version? Maybe the longer version will work better in its own piece.

:thankssign in advance
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

Dave Walker
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Dave Walker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi Jo555
A great topic with good insights into the common language of the heart.

In fact, it is such a good topic, that I think there should be less padding, to make it stand out more. Perhaps, right at the beginning, the topic can be succinctly stated by taking out the personal bit about your getting the book and being a Venetian living on Mars. Why not just say something like: "The best-selling book "Men are From Mars, Women are from Venus" by John Gray held surprising..... etc. and then plunge straight into the point: However, when it comes to the heart of things....

I really like your comparing our emotions to the colours of a rainbow.

As to breaking into a new topic at the end, I don't think that you do. The point, if I got it right, is that we have this common language of the heart because God speaks that language. Maybe it could be tied together a little more directly if, after stating that He understands even the painful phrases within that language, because He has been there, the reader could be encouraged more directly to speak to Jesus in that language; to share their pain with Him knowing He understands. In other words, not just reassure them that He's there for them, but that as they share, He listens. It brings the topic full circle. Since, in the deep things, we share a common language, we can all speak to Jesus in that language knowing that He also speaks it.

amilli
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby amilli » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Nicely done. I enjoyed the fresh perspective that you took and developed. Point taken.
Amelia

My writing is a passion, not a hobby!

jo555

Postby jo555 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks all!

Tee hee Dave. I have this delusion that people are quite interested in my personal affairs, and I can tend to go on . . .

Thanks for the feedback bro. Much appreciated.

Thanks Amilli. So nice to hear from you. I'm glad there was clarity as I tend to go on and can branch out. So, glad to see there is clarity here.

(((hugs))).

:thankssign :D :P

jo555

Postby jo555 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:55 am

Dave Walker wrote:Hi Jo555
A great topic with good insights into the common language of the heart.

In fact, it is such a good topic, that I think there should be less padding, to make it stand out more. Perhaps, right at the beginning, the topic can be succinctly stated by taking out the personal bit about your getting the book and being a Venetian living on Mars. Why not just say something like: "The best-selling book "Men are From Mars, Women are from Venus" by John Gray held surprising..... etc. and then plunge straight into the point: However, when it comes to the heart of things....

I really like your comparing our emotions to the colours of a rainbow.

As to breaking into a new topic at the end, I don't think that you do. The point, if I got it right, is that we have this common language of the heart because God speaks that language. Maybe it could be tied together a little more directly if, after stating that He understands even the painful phrases within that language, because He has been there, the reader could be encouraged more directly to speak to Jesus in that language; to share their pain with Him knowing He understands. In other words, not just reassure them that He's there for them, but that as they share, He listens. It brings the topic full circle. Since, in the deep things, we share a common language, we can all speak to Jesus in that language knowing that He also speaks it.

Dave, I was thinking about your advise and thinking what a great idea, encouraging others to speak in that language to the Lord. . . I then realized that I had done one already, and had shared the link at the bottom of the piece (on website I started, that is). Anyway, wanted to share here: Feel free to share comments if you want. It is called:

The Song of the Heart

I know the journey can be difficult.
At times the pain seems unbearable.
The ache of the heart.
The cry of the soul.
Our tears the only sound that breaks the silence.
Words seem to pale in significance . . .

But through the darkness, if we take time to listen, we can discover our song.

Our song is not something that is learned and taught to us by another. It isn't an exercise of the mind, but the life of the heart that presses us to do away with learned etiquettes and give it a voice.

There are beautiful songs within each of us. Our songs speak of the depth within us. In part they consists of who we are, our hopes and dreams, our desires and thirsts.

We can miss its voice in the rythm of life around us. The noise in traffic, the pressures at work, and our worries about tomorrow can all serve as debris that covers the song in our hearts. In addition, the rituals of organized religion and our fears of revealing our true selves can all serve to bind the voice of the heart. Rituals and masks used to silence the life within us.

Our song is sometimes sweet. Our song is sometimes sorrowful. No matter what the melody, our song is uniquely ours.

And it can be through the valley of suffering, as we pass through the winepress in life, that we discover our song. The challenges we face can help to identify the debris that has hidden its life. As the layers are discarded we hear the call to take a chance, stretch its wings, and let it fly.

Our Heavenly Father desires for us to share our songs with Him. He loves to hear us sing as we venture forth in trust and take our hearts to Him. He has songs too. They are the most exquisite and He loves to sing over us.

Sometimes we know the wonderful lyrics to his songs, but we may not be in tune to the lovely melody that speaks of his life, of his love. And although the darkness may not be pleasant, it can serve to conceal the distractions and redirect us back to his heart. Therein we will discover his melody as He gives us of his treasures hidden in the dark.

And as we sing our songs to Him, as we patiently wait on Him, we will find Him joining us to his songs, the most blessed and beautiful of all songs.

Psalm 40:1-3
I waited patiently for the Lord to help me,
and he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground
and steadied me as I walked along.
He has given me a new song to sing,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see what he has done and be amazed.
They will put their trust in the Lord.

Return to Article Reviews/Critiques