To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Betty, I love that story. You took me by complete surprise when reading it! I was so mad at the hospital staff for not giving you something for your hurting tummy! hehe

My Christmases were all wonderful except for that one. With 7 kids in the family, it had to be! My sister and I were known for slipping downstairs in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve, opening our presents, then taping them back up and going back to bed. We had a great time acting surprised Christmas morning. The day she told me there was no Santa Claus, I cried and cried, then I told my little brother who took it worse than I did! We had so much fun those days. We always, always had snow and always got new clothes along with a few other things. Every year I got a new wool snowsuit which was so cute. It was bright burgundy and I was prancing around in the front yard all Christmas day showing it off until our neighbor, a professional photographer, came over and took my picture. I've looked everywhere for that photo for years and haven't been able to find it. I was in first grade and I was missing 2 front teeth when I smiled for the camera. We would use an entire pk of red, green and white construction paper to cut out Christmas pictures which we taped on every window in the house. My folks apparently weren't worried about Santa Clause because I remember making hundreds of Santa pictures over the years. We all knew he was just a kind man who gave away presents many years ago, and the nativity scene was always first in our minds. I still collect Santas, which surprises people, but from the studying I've done about St. Nicholas, he has always endeared himself to me. :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2

I haven't had lunch yet and it's almost 2 pm. Later.
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:23 pm

ready2go wrote:This afternoon at 4:00 I will climb into my church's tour bus and ride to a Christmas dinner at the best restaurant (Axel's) in my fair little city of Chanhassen. After dinner we will go on the bus for a planned tour to view extraordinary Christmas lighting displays in the surrounding area suburbs.

It should be a fun evening with lots of Christmas carol's being sung during the bus ride.

It's hard to believe the work some people resort to in order to create their massive displays of lighting seen each year. I'm glad I don't have to pay their electric bills. :shock:

I can't imagine trying to find a bad light bulb among the many thousands of them. But then...maybe a burnt out bulb wouldn't be noticed. :lol:

Don

I just have to walk out my front door, hop on my trke and ride around our block to get the best lights in Sydney. We oldies living in a park have lights all year and at Christmas it's spectacular.

One old guy doesn't do lights (or gardens) but he has a complete zoo in his 3 feet x12 feet front 'space'. The kid's love it.

I'll try and get some pics tonight.

CHrissy

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Hey Mariane, I collect Santas, too, and love them. Bah humbug to those who say there's something bad about that! St. Nicholas was a kind-hearted, giving man. Besides, my sisters and I were raised in a Christian home. We were taught what Christmas really meant and we were allowed to believe in Santa, too. We KNEW the difference. I think it falls squarely on the parents to make the distinction. Nothing wrong with some childhood fun and imagination.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:51 pm

I love stars. The Christmas star is the theme on our porch. (As well a the colour blue) We sit on the porch most evenings "unter the stars".

Stars are reminders of the Christmas story in a "heavenly" way. The star/s bring our questions from adults and children alike walking by which leads to none other than sharing the Christmas story. :) Very few people drive by in the "park" so interaction is common.

I'm actually planning next Christmas porch under the stars.

Chrissy

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Chrissy, I'm a star lover, too, year round. My house is decorated with Texas stars, and other kinds as well. They actually do make me think of Christ, not just because of the Christmas star, but because he is the light of the world.

We might go looking at Christmas lights in the next few days. There are some lovely ones not far from us.

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:10 pm

Where on earth have I been since Saturday, while you folks were chatting up more than a page of stories!? Well, BUSY is part of it, too busy to tackle everything in my email inbox. :oops:

We went three hours one way out of town Sunday afternoon to attend a heavenly concert that included a couple special young people. Those small town choirs need not take a back seat to any city doings. The Vivaldi "Gloria" presentation had a combined choir from four towns numbering over 200 voices, with an orchestra of 50 plus musicians. I whispered to my niece, "This is HEAVEN!"

Yesterday I was a busy bee getting ready for today's PEP band! That's what my friends and I (Pat Edy Peggy = PEP) call our gal's day out. We went to hear a storyteller who pretends to be the person she is telling about ( http://www.presspubs.com/shoreview/news ... mode=story ). What an exquisite ministry! You've probably heard me tell about meeting Corrie ten Boom in person, so my friend Peggy thought this would be something special for me, which it certainly was.

So, I haven't been AWOL, just "on assignment" elsewhere! 8) Thank you for all your interesting, sad, and surprising stories, here, that I just got caught up reading!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Verna wrote:As to the interesting character without teeth, I have one to add--my grandfather on my dad's side. He hadn't had any teeth as long as I knew him, but he ate anything he wanted and chewed it thoroughly on those gums. I used to watch in amazement. "Pa" and "Ma" used to spend winters at our house. Pa always had a plug of tobacco in his mouth. One of our revival evangelists who was staying with us asked him where he could spit if he went to heaven. He said he'd use my mom's coffee can. He was, indeed, a character--had fought in the Spanish American War and used to sing to us children about two little girls in blue--a song of that era.

Deejay, I imagine you have a lot of memories of your stay in Australia.

I was 9 at the time, so I do remember some things like school. But this was in 1965-66, and just as we were leaving to return to America, they changed the money over to decimalization. No more half pennies, pennies, threepence, sixpence, shillings, florins, or pounds. But as to the peanut paste--it was thicker and drier in consistency than peanut butter. We spent six months there--four in Sydney, two in Brisbane. No Christmas trees, so we decorated a floor lamp.
My sister Susan spent time in the hospital for her ulcerative colitis, and I remember two things--the new nurses had beautiful butterfly pins on their nurses' caps, and mom saying Susan got better care in Australia than in America. The medicine they gave her did a lot of good, so we made sure we had plenty of the pills when we returned. Mom took some of them to a pharmacy to have them analyzed and compounded, but they didn't work as well as the ones we brought with us. I have no idea what they were.

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Message for the Holidays

With the Holidays upon us I would like to share a personal experience with my friends and family about drinking and driving.
As you may know, people have been known to have brushes with the authorities from time to time on the way home after a "social session" out with friends. Well, a few days ago I was out for an evening at the Italian American Club and had several cocktails followed by some rather nice red wine. Feeling jolly, I still had the sense to know that I may be slightly over the limit.
That's when I did something that I've never done before - I took a cab home.

Sure enough on the way home there was a police road block, but since it was a cab they waved it past. I arrived home safely without incident.
This was a real surprise as I had never driven a cab before, I don't know where I got it and now that it's in my garage I don't know what to do with it.

I guess putting that story in quotes was a dead giveaway. :P It came in an email from my BIL with this disclaimer included:

Note: This is not a personal experience.

Merry Christmas
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:10 am

Our Christmas lights as promised. Sorry they're not fantastic. It's the first time I have used our new camera at night and the street is so bright I didn't need the flash.

More soon

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:23 am

Opens eyes ... yawns ... pushes back covers.

Slides to edge of bed ... hangs legs over side.

Tries to decide if floor is moving ... still not sure.

Looks around for clock ... sees clock, but is out-of-focus.

Hopes it says 1:30am, not 6:05am ... still not sure.

Decides it's too early ... lays back down.

Fluffs pillow ... pulls covers over self.

Yawns ...

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:29 am

Here's a few more:

Close up:

And one looking across the street.

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:30 am

Yikes. Sorry about that. I'm still getting used to photobucket too.

Well I'm off to bed. It's been a long day.

Chrissy

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Love your pictures, Chrissy. Love that big star. Thanks for sharing.

And um, Don...nighty night.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:53 pm

I love it when people go all out as Chrissy does with her Christmas lighting. Most of it is done for the benefit of neighbors and passerbys because they see the lights more than those living inside the house. It's a lovely tradition and I'm glad it's observed world-wide.

I've been watching the news and praying for Billy Graham who apparently is close to his Homegoing. But you never know. He's been so active all his life and probably has good genes which guarantee him a long life. Something troubles me, though. I have read that 2 or 3 prominent writers, Kitty Kelly and Patricia Cornwell, have been considering writing an expose about the five Graham children, three of whom have been divorced. Kitty Kelly's book would go for the jugular. Patricia Cornwell, a mystery writer, was a neighbor and close friend of the Grahams and knew all the children well. She was especially close to Ruth Graham, about whom she wrote an authorized biography. She hinted on a talk show once that she knew plenty of dirt about the kids, some of whom don't like Patricia Cornwell at all. I hope they and other authors have the decency to wait some time before trying to make some money off the Graham family name. I wouldn't be caught dead buying or even reading any book that claims to be an expose of them.

I'm going to get some supper now. John had a meeting this evening.

Night.
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Well, I have now made four different kinds of Christmas cookies. I didn't intend to make four, but the third kind turned out very bad. I wouldn't serve them to company, even family, so I'm going to toss them out. They needed to be replaced with something edible.

What was wrong with them, you ask? They had loads of brown sugar in them, and after baking and cooling the cookies changed onto something hard enough to break teeth. I mean...they could be used to carve granite stones. :shock:

So, cookie batches number one, two, and four are very good. I know 'cause I ate a few of each just to be sure. They passed the quality control taste test. 8)

I put the three good batches into the freezer until next week when I will trot them out for company. :wink:

P.S. I haven't tossed batch number three into the garbage can yet. If anyone wants them, let me know. They would probably be okay as dunkers in hot coffee, or they might make good hockey pucks. :lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler