To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:06 pm

It's such a shame that money comes before the Gospel message. My prayers are with and for you and everyone involved with the event and most importantly for the people who will find Jesus through the presentation of His Word through voice and actions.

Chrissy

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:39 pm

If the boys' quartet is from Jerry Falwell's "Living Christmas Tree" performance, we took a couple of vans full of people to see it live several years ago. It was well worth the trip, no kidding. They draw heavily from the music department at Liberty University so the talent is exceptional. Every year they have different boys sing that quartet number and it's always a big hit.

Speaking of Christmas, the absolutely worst Christmas in my life happened when I was a teenager in Waverly, New York. My dad always left the Christmas shopping to my mother but that year he decided to do it. We were expecting some family members for Christmas so I worked hard to clean the house from top to bottom. Christmas Eve, about 9 pm, Dad asked me if I'd seen 2 big bags of Christmas presents that he'd hidden under some old blankets in the hallway leading down to the basement. I stopped what I was doing, frozen to the spot, then ran to look in the stairway. There had been several bags of trash there and earlier that day I'd carried them all out to the back yard where I burned them in the incinerator. Among them had been all of Dad's Christmas presents. I don't remember what my dad said, though I'm sure he was kind. All I remember is crying all Christmas day.
:-(
:christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2 :christmas2
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:07 pm

The worst Christmas Day I can remember was when I was a teenager. About 10-12 family members had gathered for the annual Christmas Day dinner at my grandmother's house.

My dad had driven about a half mile away to pick up my great uncle's mother-in-law - an elderly lady in her late 80's. He returned with her just as everyone was being seated at the dinner table. However, she collapsed in the entry way, but my dad held on to her and kept her from falling.

She had died instantly after she stepped through the entry door. Dad called to me to help. Together, my dad and I carried her through the house and into a bedroom. The town doctor was called and arrived within minutes. Then, the coroner arrived soon, and wheeled her past the dining table and out to his vehicle.

By the way, my great uncle and his wife were enjoying a Christmas dinner in NYC while visiting there with family. They were called immediately. Needless to say, Christmas dinner that year was very sad for all.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:51 pm

That's one sad story, Don.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:08 pm

There is one humorous thing I remember about the lady in my previous post.

She didn't have a tooth left anywhere in her mouth. However, after years of use, her gums had "work hardened" to the extent that she could bite a dill pickle in half, she ate corn on the cob easily, and she could chew a piece of meat as we would.

:?

Also, I don't remember anyone ever calling her by her first name. People always addressed her as Mrs. Walston ... even close family members. I'm sure she had a first name, but I never heard it said.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:22 am

Wow,that is sad, Don. You have an incredible file of interesting stories!
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Well...a four-dozen batch of Christmas cookies came out of Don's kitchen this morning.

Will make more on Wednesday and Friday. All will go into the freezer for about a week.

Yumm!!!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:52 pm

Mariane, that is the absolute saddest Christmas story there could be for a teen-age girl! I'd still be trying to forget it!

Don, that must have been a difficult Christmas at your house. I'll be glad to take a couple of your cookies!

Our Christmas concert at church yesterday was beautifully honoring to God. (Allison, I pray yours will
be.) My favorite songs were "Mary, Did You Know?" and "The Lord Is with You."

I'm not sure when our kids will be home this year, but whatever day it is--that will be Christmas.

For my friends from the cold--it's warmed up here to a toasty 54. I hope the freeze is thawing where you are. I have a neighbor who has just moved here from Sarasota, and already, she wants to go back!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:23 pm

I remember when my family and I were in Australia for 6 months, peanut butter was called peanut paste.

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Also, as to the term sod having another meaning, it's short for sodomite, though it's chiefly a British term, used as a term of abuse. :oops:

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:13 pm

As to the interesting character without teeth, I have one to add--my grandfather on my dad's side. He hadn't had any teeth as long as I knew him, but he ate anything he wanted and chewed it thoroughly on those gums. I used to watch in amazement. "Pa" and "Ma" used to spend winters at our house. Pa always had a plug of tobacco in his mouth. One of our revival evangelists who was staying with us asked him where he could spit if he went to heaven. He said he'd use my mom's coffee can. He was, indeed, a character--had fought in the Spanish American War and used to sing to us children about two little girls in blue--a song of that era.

Deejay, I imagine you have a lot of memories of your stay in Australia.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Just so ya know, Don, my Don doesn't sit up and beg when it's time to eat. Well, at least not usually. :lol:

And wow, those are some sad Christmas stories! My Christmas memories as kid are good ones. I do have one story to share, though, when I was a young adult, 20, to be exact. I woke up on Christmas Eve with horrible abdominal pain, the worst I have ever had in my life. I felt so bad, I was rushed to the hospital where there was only a skeleton crew on duty. They immediately put me in a room, hooked me up to an IV and refused to give me pain medicine. I hurt so BAD! But by noon, I had a 7 pound 9 oz daughter. It was worth it!
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 pm

deejay wrote:I remember when my family and I were in Australia for 6 months, peanut butter was called peanut paste.

Never heard of peanut paste. It's been peanut butter for as long as I've eaten it and it was my first favourite spread on toast at the age of 2 and my grandmother introduced it to me as the very same peanut butter she had as a child.

Allison

Postby Allison » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:12 am

RiversidePeace wrote:It's such a shame that money comes before the Gospel message. My prayers are with and for you and everyone involved with the event and most importantly for the people who will find Jesus through the presentation of His Word through voice and actions.

Chrissy

Just thought I'd add that money actually had nothing to do with the original (but reversed) decision to cancel the Sunday evening performance. It would have made no significant difference in money spent by the church in having one or two productions that night. The director just thought that since we would have to take the set down that night, that it would be too late to do that after the second performance. And we only had 25 people going to that one at that point in time. So I promise money was not the motivator. :) We ended up having 130 people at the last performance, and many of the people who worked other aspects of the event during the week got to see it, so that was good. In total, 1,930 people saw it over the six performances. That's about 320 for each performances, which is about what we have on a Sunday morning service. So we had a lot of people from the community come see it, which is exciting. We may never know the spiritual results, but we know seeds were planted.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:26 am

This afternoon at 4:00 I will climb into my church's tour bus and ride to a Christmas dinner at the best restaurant (Axel's) in my fair little city of Chanhassen. After dinner we will go on the bus for a planned tour to view extraordinary Christmas lighting displays in the surrounding area suburbs.

It should be a fun evening with lots of Christmas carol's being sung during the bus ride.

It's hard to believe the work some people resort to in order to create their massive displays of lighting seen each year. I'm glad I don't have to pay their electric bills. :shock:

I can't imagine trying to find a bad light bulb among the many thousands of them. But then...maybe a burnt out bulb wouldn't be noticed. :lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler