To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

RachelM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby RachelM » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Thank you for being so forgiving, Pup. :wink:
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:17 pm

It is strange and every episode is different. The mannequins were actually a reference to a classic episode. The show was started as a children's educational program for science and history, and it .... expanded lol. I really do suggest you try watching some more episodes and keep in mind that the bad guys are supposed to be cheesy :D

RachelM wrote:Well...my husband and I watched the first 2 episodes of Dr. Who, and I just have to say that it was...um...the strangest thing I've ever seen. I don't want to offend anyone! (I know some of you are pretty serious about this show! :D ) But killer mannequins? Maybe British TV is out of my league. I'm willing to accept that the problem is me and not the show, or maybe some people are into Sci Fi and others are NOT.

Signed,
Dazed and confused :sofa
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:23 am

Keep watching, Rachel! Ryan rolled his eyes the first few episodes, but powered through and got hooked. It gets better. You really get invested in the characters. But yeah, the bad guys are cheesy, and special effects aren't quite like Marvel. Just try a few more. :wink:

Ugh...school's back in full swing and I *get* to write boring papers now. Sigh. At least in this class I can tie in more personal experiences. I should have finished my paper tonight but didn't, and now it's time for bed. At least I have a couple more days off, so I'll write it tomorrow. I'm not as far behind this time around, and I'm hoping to get a head start before the holidays.

Hope your production is going well, Allison! Ryan had his performance this last weekend, and though he was only in the ensemble, the last night one of the minor characters got food poisoning, and the director asked Ryan to step into the role with only 3 hours to memorize the lines and no practice with the other characters. He managed to pull it off with the audience none the wiser other than the announcement that he would be covering the role that night. He's been on a high for days! He's never been cast into a main role, but after his breakthrough performance on Sunday night, perhaps the director will consider him for the next show.

It's been "cold" again here in LA, and I've been using a heated blanket in bed lately. I'm sure it will make some of you laugh to hear that we've been "freezing" in 45 degree weather (nightly lows...the daily highs are still in the mid 60s to low 70s). We still have our resident hummingbird, and he's still actively guarding our feeder, although the other birds have figured out ways to sneak around him from time to time. We're hoping they stay through the winter, and maybe some of the northern hummers will migrate here and visit.

Hope the rest of y'all's week is going well. Only two weeks until Christmas!

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Leah wrote:and special effects aren't quite like Marvel.

I don't know, did you see the 3D picture in the 50th.. waaaaay cool. I would love one in my living room. But yes, it is SUPPOSE to be cheesy. And Red, I don't know about you but when I first heard Tom Baker speak in this one, I knew Who he was. He sure has changed over the years, but it is still cool to know the old favorite is still alive.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:09 pm

JesusPuppy wrote:
Leah wrote:and special effects aren't quite like Marvel.

I don't know, did you see the 3D picture in the 50th.. waaaaay cool. I would love one in my living room. But yes, it is SUPPOSE to be cheesy. And Red, I don't know about you but when I first heard Tom Baker speak in this one, I knew Who he was. He sure has changed over the years, but it is still cool to know the old favorite is still alive.

I know it was him, too (I'd heard rumors he was going to be in it, despite trying to avoid spoilers). I cheered, rather loudly :D He recently had an article where he told about how some young fan came up to him and basically told him he was going to be the next person from Doctor Who to die. The effects are better than they used to be, overall, but they do keep the aliens cheesy on purpose. I can't get Frank to watch much at all, he watched one episode where they used bubble wrap and just won't watch more.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Today is 2 years since Poppop died.

I'm taking it extra hard this year- I think cause I'm wathing my other grandpa detiorate and die before my very eyes with his Parkinson's disease.

:cry:
Dum Spiro Spero

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:06 pm

:grouphug2

Rebecky wrote:Today is 2 years since Poppop died.

I'm taking it extra hard this year- I think cause I'm wathing my other grandpa detiorate and die before my very eyes with his Parkinson's disease.

<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:11 am

Hugs my sweet friend. Becky texted me right after I felt like people would be better off without a fat ugly panic prone blob like me. She and Amy tried to lift me up out of my muck. It was weighing me down quite a bit. I wasn't sure if I could pull through it and find the energy needed to keep my chi n up and my eyes on the Lord, it's hard sometimes, but I am grateful for sweet friends should can show me true love, Thank you to you all here. Remember to lift each other in love and prayer. You guys have helped me more than you ever will know. I love you so much and don't know what I'd be like if not for your love and support I don't know how I would have made it this far. Well, off to bed myself.. Sleep tight and don't let the el-e-phants bite and be good to one another, Hugs
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:53 am

So much encouragement to persevere in the Dr. Who watching! I'm not sure if I could get my husband to give it another go. We shall see.

Rebecky wrote:Today is 2 years since Poppop died.

So sorry, Becky. That must be so hard.

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 am

Night, night, Shann. Friends are such a sweet blessing! I pray that you will sleep well tonight and feel God's love wrap around you like a blanket. :handshake

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:11 am

Shann wrote:Hugs my sweet friend. Becky texted me right after I felt like people would be better off without a fat ugly panic prone blob like me. She and Amy tried to lift me up out of my muck. It was weighing me down quite a bit. I wasn't sure if I could pull through it and find the energy needed to keep my chi n up and my eyes on the Lord, it's hard sometimes, but I am grateful for sweet friends should can show me true love, Thank you to you all here. Remember to lift each other in love and prayer. You guys have helped me more than you ever will know. I love you so much and don't know what I'd be like if not for your love and support I don't know how I would have made it this far. Well, off to bed myself.. Sleep tight and don't let the el-e-phants bite and be good to one another, Hugs

:grouphug2
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:17 am

RachelM wrote:So much encouragement to persevere in the Dr. Who watching! I'm not sure if I could get my husband to give it another go. We shall see.

It is a unique show, but it's been going 50 years, so there is more to it than just weird creatures in cheep suits. Some of the stories are fabulous. My husband has this thing against anything BBC produced (he claims he can't understand their accents, but does fine with things like Lord of the Rings) and if it's black and white? Forget it, unless it's something like Three Stooges or I Love Lucy. Our kids, however, are hooked :) I can't remember what all has been said in the thread, but it was originally a kids' show, to teach history and science. If you can at least watch the first episode, "The Unearthly Child" of the first Doctor, you can get a feel for where it came from, as well as the recent docudrama "An Adventure in Space and Time" it really pulls you into why they made the show and how truly unique and special it was.

The 4th Doctor, Tom Baker, was my first and still my favorite. Just keep trying. It truly is a great show.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:00 am

Oh I don't think I knew it was originally a kids show. That explains why my husband and Pup like it so much! :tongue
I know Harry Potter was the opposite. She never intended it as a kids book. Am I the only Harry Potter fan here? I think maybe Jay liked it, yes? :sofa They are definitely one of my favorite book(s) right up there with Anne of Green Gables series.

I think my bed is supposed to be delivered today! I best finish painting. Maybe by the end of the weekend I'll be sleeping in a comfy bed!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Shann wrote:Oh I don't think I knew it was originally a kids show. That explains why my husband and Pup like it so much! :tongue

And here I was GOING to say something nice because you had such a bad day, but NOW... :tongue

But I feel for you, you too Kiddo. Sad thing is it never really gets any easier. :hugs2

Having to reset the comp again. Those factory disks sure do come in handy, specially when I save all my install codes and updates. It takes a while to reset, but works just like when I bought it.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:11 am

Just stalling until I *have* to get back to my paper. :roll: It's not terribly uninteresting, but tedious. Surprisingly I had a lot of trouble with the part which asked for a personal experience. I still had to put in references for the concepts, so it took longer than I thought.

Sorry you're struggling, Becky. I was never that close to any of my grandparents, but I would imagine it's a lot like losing a parent if you were really close. My sister-in-law struggled for years after her grandparent died, and several of my cousins are still mourning the loss of my grandma, five years later. She wasn't a believer, so my mom wasn't as close as her sisters were; they took it really hard. Hope you're able to reflect on the good memories. (((hugs)))

Listening to the soundtrack of (new) Season 5 for background music. Most of it's nice and quick, which keeps me awake while writing. To get in the holiday mood, I've been alternating that with The Nutcracker. The libraries have great digital music options...I think I've mentioned it before. I've downloaded dozens and dozens of classical favorites through Freegal.

Okay, back to my paper. This is my last night to write it before another night at work, unless our census is down and I get standby again. I should check the online schedule and see if people are getting cut tonight; that would let me know the possibility.

In other news, we finally got a Costco membership. We browsed the aisles and realized it would be a great option for us.

Okay, okay, going, going...

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler