To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Gorgeous tree, Betty! Where did you find the birdie ornament?

Don, I'm with you. No outdoor activity, like shoveling the walk, needed today, thankfully.

GreenLeaves sent me this, which I'm sure is of interest to all of us health-conscious folks, here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/12/09 ... _fighters/

IBM turns plastic bottles into life-saving 'ninja' MRSA, fungus fighters
End of the line for drug-resistant killer stalking hospitals?

...If a paper with an abstract that includes lines such as "Computational modelling of the terephthalamide-bisurea structures predicts zig-zag or bent arrangements where distal benzyl urea groups stabilize the high-aspect ratio aqueous supramolecular assemblies" is above your pay grade, IBM researchers teamed up with a puppeteer to create an oh-so-cutesy animation to explain the fungus-fighting properties of their ninja particles:....
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:48 pm

I think for most of us--myself included--that would be necessary. :lol:

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:13 pm

On the other hand...life vs death...two emails this morning mentioned the name Peter Singer. The name had a familiar ring to it. One email had some darling photos of animals. The other sounded the alarm, reporting on a conference with the man. People might want to circulate this one in the interests of beware and be prepared (thinking obamacare):

...He strenuously objected and replied that the society in Germany was not a free society and couldn’t be responsible for Nazism’s extremes. I replied that it was free enough. That the parents of blind children who were exterminated under the guise “of the best medical care Germany could offer”—these same parents who received an urn of ashes when their children were said to have suddenly succumbed to some deadly disease—rose in public outrage against Hitler and put enough public pressure on him to end the “T4 Action” program in 1941. I stated that this was my greatest fear with his position and that once the sanctity of life was demolished as a cultural anchor that the legal protections of personhood, being redefined and lowered to include animals, would deliver a new human holocaust. He didn’t disagree, he merely restated his position with all of its implications. - See more at: http://www.grtl.org/?q=node/449#sthash.DQ4lGCXE.dpuf
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:40 pm

ready2go wrote:
Edy wrote:[color=#008000]Now I'm hungry for cookies! Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr! I may have to force myself to bake something in the morning. :thankssign

Did I hear the weatherman right, Don? 65 below wind chill predicted for tonight? Is that even possible? :brrr :brrr :brrr

Yikes!!! I didn't hear that, but if it's true I'm not going outside.

Actually it is possible. I read a report the other day that a record low was recently recorded in Antarctica...138 degrees F below zero. :brrr

The coldest temperature possible is called absolute zero, or minus 459.67 degrees F. At that point all molecular motion stops. :shock:

Your eyeballs wouldn't move to look at the thermometer, and your brain would be a solid chunk of ice. :lol:

Don

And the media tells us that the ice caps are melting....mmmmm A bit cold for that now. :o

Chrissy

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Do any of you like lefse besides me? Do you even know what it is?

Fresh made 'warm-from-the-pan' is the best, but I've never made it. I buy it at the grocery store.

I like it with butter and brown sugar, or butter and granulated sugar with cinnamon.

Yummm!

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:27 pm

You know that I like lefse, too, Don, with lutefisk...or without! :lol:

If I'm at a smorgasbord, I do eat what's served, the way you like it with sugar, but just plain buttered is my preference.

For those who aren't familiar with lefse, it's rather like a Norwegian version of flour tortillas, except it is made with mashed potatoes, flour and cream, I think. I tried to make it, once, with another lady from our church, but I don't think we had the right equipment. It turned out rather stiff and dry, rather like cold pancakes. It still tasted okay, though.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:09 am

Have you all been keeping up with this story? It's such a big prayer request.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12 ... dlines%29#
Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Do you know why folks living in the colder northern climates live longer than those living in the warmer southern parts of the USA?

(scroll down for answer)
Frozen meat doesn't spoil as quickly!

:lol:
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:45 pm

ready2go wrote:Do you know why folks living in the colder northern climates live longer than those living in the warmer southern parts of the USA?

(scroll down for answer)
Frozen meat doesn't spoil as quickly!

:lol:

Ah…so it's not Aussies who live in the dark ages after all. :lol:

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:17 pm

After checking the main ingredients for varius food items I can finally figure out the American language. (at least when it comes to food) Some are easy to understand what they are but others are total different.

Toll House cookes are Chocolate chip cookies.
Rice Crispies are Rice Bubbles
Biscuits are scones
Bacon Slices are Bacon Rashers (but very different)
Cheerios - Cheerios since we import them but Cherrios have always been small coctail sausages.
Cookies - biscuits
Pancakes - Piklets but we eat them as a sweet perhaps with jam and cream
I think your pancakes are like our small Crepes and we can have them as a savoury or sweet with strawberries cream and icing sugar.
And, confectioners sugar is icing sugar

The most common:
Bangers are sausages
Mash is mashed potato
Jello is jelly
Ketchup is Tomato sauce
Cotton candy is Fairy Floss

Can you think of a food that we may call something different?

Chrissy

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:18 pm

What the…. is a frozen yellow eyeball, Betty?

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Frozen yellow eyeball? Umm, not sure. I did make a comment about frozen eyeballs in response to one of Don's posts. I think your list is interesting, too. We have cookies, biscuits, and scones, and they are all different. I like to make scones for breakfast.They are sweeter and heavier than a biscuit, more like cake, but not really. I know that makes sense. LOL!

Mariane, I can't get your link to pull up. It's probably just stubborn. Won't load. I'll try again.

Edy, I think I got the parrot ornament at Hobby Lobby, but it's been a few years, so I'm not positive. I've never heard of lefse, but it does sound Scandinavian.

We've had a long day. Spent it in Lubbock at the knee doctor as Don had to go for his one year check up after his last knee replacement.Tried to do a little shopping, but didn't do too well. We are tired. Think I will turn in early. Night, all!
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Toll House Cookies and Rice Crispies are simply the brands that are associated with those particular treats. Rice Crispie Treats are Rice Crispie Treats, even when you use the generic rice cereal. But Toll House Cookies are a "certain" recipe on the bag of the Toll House brand of chocolate chips. Most people just call them chocolate chip cookies. I've never called them Toll House Cookies, personally.

RiversidePeace wrote:After checking the main ingredients for varius food items I can finally figure out the American language. (at least when it comes to food) Some are easy to understand what they are but others are total different.

Toll House cookes are Chocolate chip cookies.
Rice Crispies are Rice Bubbles
Biscuits are scones
Bacon Slices are Bacon Rashers (but very different)
Cheerios - Cheerios since we import them but Cherrios have always been small coctail sausages.
Cookies - biscuits
Pancakes - Piklets but we eat them as a sweet perhaps with jam and cream
I think your pancakes are like our small Crepes and we can have them as a savoury or sweet with strawberries cream and icing sugar.
And, confectioners sugar is icing sugar

The most common:
Bangers are sausages
Mash is mashed potato
Jello is jelly
Ketchup is Tomato sauce
Cotton candy is Fairy Floss

Can you think of a food that we may call something different?

Chrissy
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:35 am

Our DIL is from "down under," originally from New Zealand, then to Australia before the USA. I cannot think of any food to add to your interesting list, Chrissy, but I have discovered other differences in the language:

Our "Diapers" are your "nappies" (I think)
Our "Napkins" (for the dinner table) are your ? "serviettes"? - (but, not sure I have that right)
Our "sod" (cut strips of grass to cover bare spots in the lawn), is apparently a naughty word down under. :oops:

Don, my niece posted this, today, on facebook. I know you will appreciate it. :lol:

Totally understand. Walked around the dog park today in only a light sweatshirt, it felt too warm for my jacket after the last week. I considered flip flops, but that seems like taking it a bit far ;)

How to tell it's above zero in Minnesota today:

The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:39 am

Edy wrote:[color=#008000]Our DIL is from "down under," originally from New Zealand, then to Australia before the USA. I cannot think of any food to add to your interesting list, Chrissy, but I have discovered other differences in the language:

Our "Diapers" are your "nappies" (I think)
Our "Napkins" (for the dinner table) are your ? "serviettes"? - (but, not sure I have that right)
Our "sod" (cut strips of grass to cover bare spots in the lawn), is apparently a naughty word down under. :oops:

We call them serviettes if they are made of fine linen and napkins if they are made of paper. :? But, serviettes are really outdated here.

Sod? never heard of it. Maybe a "dag" but sod is a clump of dirt or perhaps a lazy person if we go back a few decades.

"dag" is use in a fun way like calling someone rather silly but I think it is more NewZealand term for a peice of poo hanging of a sheeps bottom. ( cleanest way to put it)

Flip Flops are called thongs

Thongs are called G-Strings.

Yes, Diapers are Nappies.

"Erbs" are "Herbs" which became a giggle of a discussion with Jan A when I was over there.

Chrissy

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler