To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

COVER! COVER! COVER!

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, Sparrow, RedBaron, cori67, itsjoanne, beaedwards

Raymond Creed
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

COVER! COVER! COVER!

Postby Raymond Creed » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:05 am

If you click the following two links you will come across a print and Kindle version of my dystopian novella ‘The Exit Machine’ which is a dark comedy set in an age when mass euthanasia has become the norm

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/arland

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Exit-Machin ... in_title_0

(If you have problems with these links try goggling ‘The Exit Machine, Leo Arland Lulu’ or ‘The Exit Machine, Leo Arland Amazon kindle’)

What I would like you to do is rank each of covers out of a score of 5. In which: -

5* means you think the cover is absolutely brilliant (In terms of design and being appropriate to the theme)

5 means you think it’s very good

4 means that you think it’s good

3 means that you think it’s OK

2 means that you think it’s poor

1 means that you think it’s very poor

0: means you think it’s absolutely awful

Comments explaining your ranking and any other feedback would be welcome – but please note my main focus in this posting is on cover design and NOT on other issues like whether writing a dark comedy about future mass euthanasia is an ethical thing to do. (Please note I will not enter into debates about the sensitive subject of mercy killing or other related topics.)

Originally I planned to use the Lulu Cover for the Kindle, but I did not obtain permission to do this. I selected the photograph because of the striking resemblance to one of my characters who, does have her photograph taken in the way portrayed in the cover.
Author of: -

Facing the Unthinkable

The Fifty-Two Attributes of God

The Leeds Liturgy

The Phantom Conflict

STOREFRONT LOCATION

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=976144

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: COVER! COVER! COVER!

Postby lish1936 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:51 am

5 for the Amazon cover

0 for the Lulu cover - sorry.

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:54 pm

I would give the Lulu cover a 4. It evoked instant emotion in me. Not necessarily good emotions. It felt dark and a bit creepy but also piqued my curiosity. The Amazon I would give a 1. If the book was a lighthearted comedy it might fit. As a nurse I took offense at the Grinning woman with the thumbs up. When I worked the patient and respecting her needs, feelings, and emotions were of the utmost importance. I felt the cover had a campy feel to it.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Raymond wrote:‘The Exit Machine’ which is a dark comedy set in an age when mass euthanasia has become the norm..Comments explaining your ranking and any other feedback would be welcome –.

I missed the "why" request, so here's my reason for the rating. I gave the Amazon a 5 based on your description of the book. The cover definitely shows dark, as in wicked, comedy. It also illustrates the comedic, but depraved (dark) cynical attitude towards taking a life that was obviously a reason to celebrate during the fictional period in which the story takes place.

I think the cover is a clear indicator of what the book is about. The Lulu cover could have been the cover for multiple stories/plots.

Blessings,

Lillian

Fortunate 500

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:12 pm

So now that you have two diversely different opinions it goes to show you can't please everyone! I see Lillian's point but a quick glance wouldn't make me feel creepy. You might need to decide which part of dark comedy is more important - - the dark or the comedy. :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:04 pm

Lulu gets a 5...

Amazon 0

I didn't like the nurse one either. I spent a month and a half in the hospital, had dozens of nurses at one time or another. They were fantastic! I only had one who might give a thumbs up I died. She didn't like me at all. We called her the Amazon ironically, because she was about 7 feet tall and muscular. She scared me to death. :roll:

Lulu showed the dark and he did look a little funny! :lol:
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:17 pm

Lulu 4...Lulu 5...Looks like I'm "out"...numbered. :lol: :rolling

Blessings,

Lillian

Fortunate 500

RoadkillsRUs
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby RoadkillsRUs » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Lulu - 3
Amazon - 2

The Lulu cover might be a 4 or 5 if this were heavy on the dark, light on the comedy. I'd like to rate this a 3.5; even though I don't expect comedy, it's intriguing.

The Amazon cover looks like it belongs on a light-hearted Tyler Perry movie (or something even lighter (no pun intended)). And frankly, it just looks a bit silly to me.

I haven't read the book so I am basing this solely on my understanding of your description.

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:33 pm

Amazon cover-0; did the nurse just murder a patient, who just happened to be someone she hated so much she'd use her position as a nurse to kill them? That's what it looks like to me.

Lulu cover-5; The eyes have a definite threat of something evil in them, though I can't see what's reflected in the pupils. Even if it's dark humor, it's still appropriate. It's like they're asking, "Who's next?" :thumbs

Return to Open Forum