To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Uff da, Betty! Uff da, Don! I'm glad you both lived to tell the stories. Isn't it amazing how the Creator provides for even the insects to have a way to defend themselves against much bigger odds? Not that either of you were predators they had to fear, but the poor little pests didn't know that. :P

Since I don't recall a similar story from my life, except for a squirrel attack, once, I'll have to think up another good one to tell later, after I get some chores done around here. Bye for now! 8)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:48 pm

This blessing from my email inbox this morning seems meant to share with all my Porch friends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Ioa1gVVeA Old Barns and Old People.

Enjoy, all, especially you lurkers who are welcome to c'mon up on the porch for some lemonade and a cooky and time to sit around and tell stories. :book2 We don't bite, even if the bees might sting. :welcome
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:10 pm

My morning chores are done...I went out to collect my newspaper...I brought in my garbage can...and I'm now sitting at my desk creating a new free hand drawing for my next wood carving.

I haven't had the interest or time to focus on any carving for more than three years - for reasons you all know. Maybe I can start doing that again soon.

Between my Southern Gospel music playing in the background, and watching for new posting action on the porch, my creative drawing is progressing slowly. Also, it will be lunch time soon...then a nice nap.

Note: If it's true-life stories you want, well...I have enough of them to keep people reading for quite a while.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Edy, what a beautiful link and a beautiful message.Thanks for sharing.

Don, your day sounds wonderful. And please share stories anytime.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Loved seeing Sweet Betty in her chair on the porch. If this is all it takes, I think I'll quit making my poetry books available---Nah!
Even Ole Blue is awake and looking down the road!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Several years ago, I was driving to the hospital to visit a friend
As I said, several years ago--I was young enough to wear one of those dangerously short skirts. This was before most cars had air conditioning so the window was down, and.... Yep, a bee flew in. You'll never in a million years guess where it decided to land!
Right on the inside of my thigh! I had no idea I was allergic to bees. So I didn't panic, tho it was very hard to concentrate on driving. Finally was able to pull over and get rid of the bee, but not before it got me.
I continued on to the hospital and was visiting when my leg started swelling, and a bright red streak started running down my leg. A nurse saw it, and I ended up in the ER.
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Here is yet another insect attack story as I wrote it a few years ago:

A couple of hours ago I was the innocent victim of a surprise, unprovoked attack from an unidentified assailant! Yep, it was a clear case of hit and run...or hit and crawl...or hit and fly. I don't know for sure because I never laid eyes on the perpetrator. He was quick...he was silent...and his strategy was flawless.

What happened, you ask? Okay, here is a re-play of the crime scene for the record:

I was sitting on my new deck floor connecting a re-filled propane tank to my grill. After the job was finished, and as I was getting up, I put my hand down on the deck floor for support. At that instant I experienced horrific, fiery burning pain in the fleshy end of my little finger. Some grumpy little critter had tried to kill my pinky. My hand (finger) must have been placed right in top of him...and he didn't appreciate it. His motive was obvious...inflict as much pain as possible

He had a lot of nerve, too. After all, he was trespassing on my property, but became obnoxious and pushy when I showed up on my own turf. He made a hasty exit after the attack because he probably realized his life would be in grave danger had he stayed around to fight it out.

My finger is swollen, red, and throbbing from the first knuckle to the end. A careful look at the area reveals the entry hole left behind from his weapon of destruction. It feels like he used a .357 magnum bullet as his weapon of choice, but that's not likely.

So...what was that attacker? Maybe it was a wasp or spider...but, I will probably never know. Here is my message to him and his ornery friends, "Stay off my deck!"

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Did you know? No, you didn't...so I'm gonna tell you.

In the mid 1950's I sported a flattop haircut. Then, in the late 1950's I let it grow into a dark, wavy cut combed into a ducktail - and with sideburns to copy the Elvis Presley look.

Elvis Presley Jailhouse rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXjfOyy0WtM

Early in the 1960's I got rid of the ducktail and sideburns. During that time I was actually asked by someone if I was John Dereck's little brother or cousin. (John Dereck was of Hollywood fame in the 1950's)

Now 50+ years later it's snow white, and I don't look like anyone else, and thank goodness, they don't look like me. :lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Aw, thanks, Verna. :thankssign

Loving these stories. Bees and hairdos...

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:29 am

This is a true story taken from my large collection of true-life adventures:

Our family lived in Ohio when I was age 5 to 9. I think my short time as an Ohio Buckeye began to do some funny things to my young brain. Fortunately, my parents moved before I had "slipped-too-far-over-the-edge".

There was one memorable "edge-slippage-event" that I recall very well. Keep in mind that I was only six years old at the time, and I don't remember doing it again since then.

You see, I had read a story about little fairies that lived under the leaves of violet plants. It turned out that we had loads of wild violet plants growing out by the old wooden back-yard fence. Since I thought it would be really neat to capture one of the little guys to keep as a pet, I would spend hours sitting on the ground carefully searching for them under the violet leaves.

If I found a fairy I planned to grab it and keep it in a box in the house. However, I never did find one because I was sure they ran away and hid when they saw me coming.

I was so disappointed they didn't like me.
:(

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:43 am

What a charming story, Don! 8) All the stories we heard as children our parents were careful to distinguish between what was true (Bible stories) and what was just pretend. But, that didn't stop my little brain from secretly suspecting there must be SOME truth to accounts of cute little fairies living in the flowers, too. Here I thought I was the only one! I didn't realize boys found such things intriguing, too, being they would be all wrapped up with frogs and snails and puppy dogs. :P

So far, I haven't come up with another unusual incident or surprising story from my past to post. So, stand by, all. When an idea hits me, I shall return to relate #3 on my list.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:07 pm

LOVE that story, Don. Like Edy, I didn't know boys were interested in those kinds of things. We had bushes dividing our yard from the neighbors and there was a big hole in them; large enough for me to sit in. I used to take coloring books and paper dolls out there and play for hours, pretending *I* was a fairy and lived there.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:40 pm

It's fun to see some of you back and since I write to most of you on Facebook, I don't feel like we've been out of touch at all.

Let me reiterate why I felt it necessary to put out a date to close the Porch. In the past month, I have received several (I mean SEVERAL) messages from our porch sitters saying the porch is not fun anymore, that people keep dropping off like flies, that nobody wants to read or respond to their postings, that there is a "ho-hum" attitude about prayer requests, and they asked the question, "Isn't it time to consider closing the Porch? Everyone is already on Facebook except Don and Carol." Since I was the one who opened the gate, put out some rockers and swings and invited everyone (Southerners and non-Southerners) alike to join us, this porch is dear to me. My sense has been an overwhelming feeling that all of us have so many competing interests any more that the Porch is almost redundant.

I was responding to you all. I have always tried to think of new things to post every day that I thought would interest you all, items in the news, anything that would encourage discussion. A chat room cannot keep going without "chat" and I mean something besides "Hi everyone. Just dropped in to say hello. Goodbye." That's nice to hear but it's not really a post. I think Don and Edy have posted more interesting things than any of us and I commend and thank them for it. I have very arthritic hands now which make every stroke on the keyboard painful, and add that to having to wear a patch over my left eye when I'm at the computer or reading, I'm not as prolific as I once was.

I was pleased that you all want to keep the Porch open! I'll forget the Emails I received because there are days when I too feel like my pie is being sliced into so many pieces that nobody is getting more than a crumb. (Our two grands are so adorable but why couldn't my sons have had children when I was fifty rather than well, you know. :superhappy

So forget that today is a cut-off day, I haven't talked at all to Deb, and all of us who can, pump some more blood into this, find interesting news items that will spark discussion, write more short stories about our lives to make us laugh or want to hug you with compassion and concern, and make the Porch a place we can't wait to run to for Danish pastry and coffee.

Onward and Upward! God bless America and our Porch! :music2 :grouphug2 :grouphug :grouphug3 :thumbs :angel2 :party :shiney2 :hide :razzberry :razzberry :love2 :hugkiss

"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Don and Edy, fairies under flowers and violets? How about under cabbage leaves? My older sisters had a field day with me (the youngest girl of 5) urging me to sneak into Daddy's garden and pull off cabbage leaves from every plant to find a baby brother or sister. I hadn't even started school yet but I did it faithfully until Daddy began questioning all of us about his cabbages. All 4 older sisters quickly pointed to me and said, "She did it, Daddy. She's the one!" Who was Daddy to believe? Me or my saintly, older sisters who would never do such terrible thing to his well-attended garden?

It must have worked though, because my baby brother was born soon after, and I didn't even know my mother was expecting! And of course, everyone called him "Mariane's Cabbage Leaf Baby." :lol: :superhappy
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:15 pm

Dear BeachGrandma, I do so appreciate your thoughtfulness, and I grieve for the physical distractions that you suffer through just trying to use the keyboard. And, I marvel at your wonderful sense of humor. In fact it was that humor that drew me to the Porch in the first place--and you, precious friend, that kept me coming back.

Humor has to be the most therapeutic of gifts that we can share with one another. I know how it helps me get my mind off my own painful distractions and lifts my spirits to face the day's demands. Perhaps there is a key in that observation as to why our rocking chairs seem more empty of late. Humor retreated in the face of more pressing demands, and people grew weary of trying to carry too many loads besides their own. My guess, anyway.

Since I cover the prayer connection for my St. Paul's congregation, I am sometimes so overwhelmed by what others have to endure, that I like having a place to "run away" and hide and lick my own wounds. The Porch has been that place for me, and I hope we can hang onto it until BeachGrandma is at least 120 years old, or until the Messiah returns with that New Heavens and New Earth we all wait for with breathless longing.

Meanwhile, I hope all our old friends get hungry for some chatter and laughter around the old Porch and show up to help us all encourage one another as we see the day approaching! I just love you all to pieces, dear friends! :thankssign for listening!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler