To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Taking a bit of a break

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

Taking a bit of a break

Postby glorybee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:54 pm

With the holidays approaching, I'm going to give this forum a vacation. I'll be back in 2014 to continue these lessons--if you want me to.

It's no secret that I've been frustrated from the get-go by my inability to get more participation. I can't help but think that my lessons need to be more relevant to FaithWriters--but I can't know what you all need if you don't let me know what that is.

My last lesson only got one response--and that was after I went to that person and sought out her input.

Please let me know--what do you need in a writing forum? Is this too easy? Too hard? Too irrelevant? Help!
Jan Ackerson

Allison
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Taking a bit of a break

Postby Allison » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:09 am

Sorry you've been so frustrated, Jan. I guess I was thinking that since I'd participated in many of your classes before, I'd "let" other people respond this time. But if you bring them back in January, I'll make it a point to respond. I've also just been extremely busy with the Christmas musical at my church since... oh... July. :lol: (I kid you not. Auditions were in late July.)
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

tomoral

Postby tomoral » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:24 am

First of all let me say thank you so much for the help you have given. I know you worked very hard to reach out to us and make us better writers.

There may have been others like me who read your posts and drew from them the ability to write better, but did not participate for one reason or another.

For me it was this. I have only been writing for less than two years. Your lessons were the first I had heard of things like Allegory, Parable, Alliteration, but I learned something just from reading your lessons. I especially liked the alliteration one because I enjoy writing poetry.

But I found it hard to participate in the homework because I have trouble following instructions (I still sweat while putting links in) and to comment intelligently about something I knew nothing about. Many of the writers on this site have degrees in this or that, and I barely managed to graduate from high school. lol :thankssign

As I say, maybe a lot of others read your lessons but didn't choose to participate for some reasons.

I will look forward to your lessons if you decide to come back in January, and try harder to be a participant.

Blessings, Lynn
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:03 am

Participation on the forums in general is a lot less than in the past. It's kind of sad :( Facebook has changed things.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Shari is right, Jan. It's such a changing face of communication online these days. Not just the forums feel the bite as more and more people discover other ways to connect and communicate. But I know for a fact that the people who have participated in your lessons have found them so valuable.

Enjoy the break, dear friend.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Come forth

Postby Come forth » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 pm

I posted a reply here yesterday, or at least I thought I had. :lol: Must have hit the wrong button.

Anyway, what I said was thanks for the lessons and I apologized for not contributing for a few weeks. Both Giovanna and I have been very sick with some bug or other and it has been hard just to keep our heads above water. But, that being said, I did read most of the lessons and want to let you know that each week, when doing the challenge, I try to incorporate something I have learned from you; putting into practice helps to cement the lesson learned.

The other thing I mentioned Shari and Deb have now commented on -- forums all over, and other types of activity, are all down as FB and Twitter dominate. None the less, I really believe that if you help ONE person to improve their writting skills then this thread is a raging success.

AND HERE'S THE GOOD NEWS.

There is no doubt in my mind that I am a better writer because of this thread. You help me focus on writing as a skill not just a sport. I think about what I write, especially when re-writing or editing it, far more than I ever did. I use some skills now (although poorly) with knowledge and understanding rather than just by chance. Also my patience and understanding of punctuation; you know what I'm talking about -- is all thanks to your patience and understanding :clap

I would like to see you continue next year, for totally selfish reasons, but believe I'm not the only one.

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Graham, thanks for your generous comments.

It all comes down to effort vs. return, for me. It's all well and good to say that if I've helped ONE person to improve their writing, it's worth it--but from my point of view, it's hours and hours of my time, on my own nickel. I realize that sounds petty and selfish.

And I'm not entirely sure that the lack of participation can be blamed on social media. The people at FaithWriters are obviously here because of a love of writing, and they take the time to write and submit challenges or regular articles. Obviously social media doesn't take all of their online time. So I just don't understand why more writers wouldn't take advantage of FREE lessons and one-on-one responses to their contributions. The only thing I can think is that there's something lacking in the lessons themselves.
Jan Ackerson

Come forth

Postby Come forth » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:22 pm

I wanted to put this in as a seperate post so that it didn't get lost in my last long one.

Lyn said:

I barely managed to graduate from high school.

Two points to this. First Lyn, I didn't graduate high school. I won a scholarship in England to go to a high faluting, rich man's, tradition infected, professor ridden, smock wearing institution but was saved when my family emigrated. I was 15 at the time and never returned to school. I've done some university studies as a mature age student but could never stick long enough to complete anything. Most folk that know me think I'm a highly educated person, but I'm not, I just read heaps and am able to absorb and remember.

Main point is this, I have never seen a post by you Lyn, or read anything you've written that even remotely seems uneducated. Keep posting and sharing, God is using you.

Secondly, Jan you are helping heaps of unseen Lyns to grow in these threads. but for many reasons they do not respond. I'm reminded of a story about a man who felt bad because he only ever led one man to Christ; but that man was named Billy Graham.

Many a reward will be received in heaven by folk who didn't even know they earned it.

Blessings, Graham.

My prayer for us all.

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Well said, Graham. I agree. Whatever you choose to do, Jan, never feel your lessons were without value. They were excellent.

You were actually getting some pretty solid hits on your lessons, Jan (just looked at the numbers). Graham is probably right. A lot of people don't like to de-lurk.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks folks. I should say that I'm on the edge of one of my periodic depressions, and everything is pretty gray and gloomy to me right now. I'll ponder it for a while.
Jan Ackerson

Come forth

Postby Come forth » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 pm

Gray and gloomy is good, that means the sun is about to shine and flowers are about to bloom.

Jan, you are a blessing to anyone who wants to grow as a writer. receive the sunshine in our thanks.

Blessings, Graham.

My prayer for us all.

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:37 am

Please come back in the new year, Jan! This month is over the top busy for me as I try to add NaNoWriMo to a very busy life, but I really want to take advantage of your lessons. I know that I can learn so much from you and I am eager to grow as a writer. Have a lovely Christmas season!
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:41 am

Jan, I'm very grateful to you for teaching me how to write poetry, as I hadn't a clue about meters and the like until you enlighten me. I'm sure there are many like me who have benefitted from your expert teaching.

Shann, was trying to encourage new comers to join your lessons - maybe a few older members bowed out at this time. It must be difficult for you to cater for such different abilities that range from beginners to old timers.

Personally, I love writing direct Christain articles and would love to jon in some lessons that taught about Chritian poetry, devotions and other such articles of a direct Christian nature.
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:54 am

Jan, I was just daydreaming as I soaked in the bath and got round to thinking maybe you would enjoy it better if you posted lessons once a month or fortnightly. Give you more time for other things.

Below is a poem I wrote, someone said it was perfect in meter and rhyme (thanks to you) and I know it has blessed quite a lot of people who needed a rest from the trials of life and thought it appropriate in your present need of a break.

http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=42162
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:41 am

Colin, that's lovely, and it made me weep. The oncoming depression is coinciding perfectly with a family crisis, and I'm pretty deep in quicksand right now.
Jan Ackerson

Next

Return to Jan's Writing Basics