To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby RiversidePeace » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:21 am

Edy wrote:Chrissy, what a gorgeous vacation you must have had! Is all that scenery from your homeland down under? I never realized how beautiful it could be. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your photos!

And much more. These picks are just in a small 200 mile radious on the far coast of New South Wales.
Australia is a beautiful country. Many just don't realise it.

Chrissy

Laurie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Laurie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:13 pm

The prayers and support of the friends here have meant a lot to me in the past. This was a lifeline to me at one time, and I'm grateful for everyone's concerns and prayers.

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Wait. What?! Okay, okay, I know, I am the black sheep who never comes home, but when I finally decide to, I find out the Porch is closing? No!!

Yes, Facebook is fun - I'm there a lot, but honey bun,it ain't the Porch. Do you know how often I think of you folks? Do you know how surprised I would be if somebody didn't kick my hiney for not checking in before now?

And what will we do with Blue? I love his mangy ole sad sack face, but I don't have room to keep him here. His home is the Porch. Heck, even Motel Six keeps the light on for you. Can't we do this here? Just for a little bit longer?

And if you think this entire post is all questions, wouldn't you be right? ;0)
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Oh, Betty, you sweetheart! You make me have to laugh, because you just reminded me of an episode of Little House on the Prairie. As I recall, this elderly mother was so lonesome for her children that never came home that she recruited the Ingalls to help her arrange her funeral.

It worked! All the family and the town turned out to mourn...until she showed up at her own funeral and put them all to shame that she had to resort to such an effort.

Hmmmm! BeachGrandma...could THAT be the source of your Porch closing post? :lol:

Okay, everyone, if each of us goes out and recruits a long lost porch sitter to come to the "funeral," perhaps we have a few more good years left. :thankssign :P
Last edited by Edy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:17 pm

To bring more lurkers out of the shadows, here's a little game going around Facebook:

"Here's my list of things you never (or always) wanted to know about me. If you want to write a list of your own, "like" this post and I'll give you a number of your own. I've enjoyed reading my friends' lists, and was given the number 14!" (from another faithwriter on facebook)

Since we don't have a "Like" button here, I'll make it easy for us. Make your list as short or as long as you like. Be as outrageous or as funny or obscure as you can muster from your "secret" self.

I'll start with my #1:
1. When I was still a teenager, I told the Lord He could have my heart, but I was afraid to let Him have my life....(get this) because I was afraid where He might want to send me! :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Didn’t y'all get this memo about me? :?

I’ve decided to buy me a hog ranch somewhere in southern Minnesota...and move there.
(Makes note to self: Be sure house is upwind from barnyard!)

But first I need to find a couple of books so I can study up on those critters.
“Pig Farming for Dummies”
“Things You Always Wanted To Know About Pigs, but Were Afraid To Ask”
“Swine Technology 101”
“Squeals, Oinks, Grunts, and So Much More”

Luv the aroma of hickory smoked ham curin’ in da shed....‘n bacon fryin’ in da pan. It just don’t get no better ‘n that! :wink:

Y’all come to visit me often, ya hear?

'Country boy' Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Don, here's a start...
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Raising-Pig ... or+dummies

Howard's sister and brother-in-law have had a pig farm in Kansas. Howard always comments, when driving through pig country and I have to "Whew!!" he always says "Smells like money to me." :P
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Yep, pigs are real "stinkers" for sure, and are definitely the worst. But areas inside a large chicken house can be pretty bad too.

Did you ever shovel a 4-6 inch layer of "doo" (a full winter's accumulation) off the roosting platform in a chicken house on a hot summer day? I've been there...done that!

Wow! I wanna tell ya...the ammonia wafting from that is enough to stop a train. It will make your eyes water and clear out your sinuses real quick! :shock:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Don, that's absolutely fascinating. I happen to love fried chicken and we had pork chops for lunch today. Call me a country girl. Please. I don't like some of those other names I've heard.

Oh, and Edy, about me, hmmm...okay, number 1:
I was once caught in a time warp and let the peasants eat cake.

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:28 pm

And hey , Miss Edy, I forgot to say I like your "Gave my heart to Jesus" story. LOL!

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:43 pm

So you all ARE still alive and kicking…even if by a hair of a whisker. :lol:

Good to see ya betty dear.

Chrissy

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:19 am

#2. When we lived on the Dakota prairie, next door to our parsonage, on the other side of the alley was a tiny little story and a half house. It was locked up empty during the winter, but summer months was occupied by a Mrs. Wilder, a retirement age school teacher who was very sweet and quiet. I think it was my mom who told me this lady was somehow related to Laura Ingalls Wilder (sister-in-law, perhaps?). I was inside the tiny house once, when she had a gift she wanted me to have: a beautiful old-fashioned rose-colored sweater-blouse that I wish I still had.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:40 am

Hi Chrissy! Nice to see your beautiful face again.
Edy, that's a really cool story. A Wilder, huh? And uh, in case you're wondering, the first thing I posted about me was a bit of a fabrication, but just a bit. :wink:

Here's a real one fer ya. I'm allergic to bees and wasps, certain ants, and anything in the hymenoptera family. When Don and I were first married, I wanted to be a good, frugal wife, so I went to a peach orchard to pick peaches to make pies and put up preserves. I got stung by a wasp. When it was all said and done, the few peaches I got cost over $100 after the doctor visit and medicine. That was a LOT of money at the time. I was nauseated and my right hand was swollen so bad I couldn't use it for a week. I missed work, and couldn't cook, clean. etc. Don was very busy on the farm , so he had to get take out food (more money), and hire a girl to come and help me. I don't even want to think how much those peaches actually ended up costing. In case you're wondering, I don't go pick peaches any more.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 am

That was a real bummer, Betty!

So...were your pretty pricy peach pies tasty? Or, did the peaches end up in the garbage can?

(I have a wasp attack story too, but I need to find it)

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Okay, I found my wasp attack story. Here it is as I wrote it:

A short while ago I sustained an injury from a nasty critter. An ugly, mean, angry critter. Can you say wasp? You know...the ones built like a dragster with wings, and they have a stinger that would cripple an alligator.

He was trapped inside our patio door screen trying to get out. Being the nice guy that I am, I simply tried to help him outside. Well...bad move! Moving at the speed of light, he launched himself toward my head. I shut my eyes and ducked...very quickly.

He zeroed in on my eyelid, just a little above my eyelashes. I tried to brush him away twice before his stinger pulled free from my eyelid. I've been stung by them before, so I know I'm not allergic to the venom.

I immediately put cold packs on the eye, but it's now swollen, painful and quite red. Did I mention it burns like crazy too? The stinger didn't pierce through the thin eyelid, so it didn't touch the eyeball. The vision is ok. Serious recovery mode is in order for a while.

Unfortunately, in the excitement of the moment he managed to escape into the great outdoors. But, if we ever cross trails in the future, he won't live to sting again.

That wasp better be making a lot of tracks toward the next county 'cause he's toast if he hangs around here. Of course he probably has a few thousand friends and relatives nearby that are just as ornery.

I hope they don't travel in flocks...or packs...or swarms...or I could be in big trouble.

Don
Last edited by ready2go on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler