To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Word Count in Notepad

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, Sparrow, RedBaron, cori67, itsjoanne, beaedwards

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Word Count in Notepad

Postby deejay » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:22 pm

My netbook has Notepad, which I use for creating documents. I was trying to see if it had a word count function, but apparently not. It's an Acer Aspire One D255, running Win7 Starter. Or if there's something I can download that would enable that function, let me know. My netbook also has Open Office 2010, but when I click on it, it says to click on whether I bought it or to buy it. If it came loaded on my netbook, why would I need to buy it? Plus, I think the last time I tried to progress past the bought link, it asked me to put in the passcode, but when I did, it said it wasn't valid even though it was. Might need to pay Microsoft a visit....

RedBaron

Re: Word Count in Notepad

Postby RedBaron » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:03 pm

OpenOffice is free and not Microsoft. I'd suggest going to the website and asking about that.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Mike Newman
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby Mike Newman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:30 pm

Notepad does not. And Shari is correct. Open Office is free, maybe your 'puter came preloaded with MS Office trial, often the case, and that is what it is wanting you to purchase.

If you are not wanting to spend any money (if that is not a problem, I recommend paying for MS Office, as Word is the superior product, IMHO), you can go here:

http://www.wordcounttool.com

That is an online page that you can copy and paste into and it will give you a word count.

You can also get Open Office, which is free and has word count capabilities.

Hope this helps,
Mike

itsjoanne

Postby itsjoanne » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:24 pm

Did want to mention, Deejay, that the word count tool Mike recommended is better for an accurate word count than OpenOffice is. For whatever reason, it counts an "open quote" as a word - so your count could be inflated if you use OpenOffice for determining it.

I have found no dysfunction of that sort (or any other!) with the word count tool. :)

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks, everybody! :thankssign

rtodd5011
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby rtodd5011 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:41 am

deejay wrote:My netbook has Notepad, which I use for creating documents. I was trying to see if it had a word count function, but apparently not. It's an Acer Aspire One D255, running Win7 Starter. Or if there's something I can download that would enable that function, let me know. My netbook also has Open Office 2010, but when I click on it, it says to click on whether I bought it or to buy it. If it came loaded on my netbook, why would I need to buy it? Plus, I think the last time I tried to progress past the bought link, it asked me to put in the passcode, but when I did, it said it wasn't valid even though it was. Might need to pay Microsoft a visit....

Deejay, what is a netbook and how much does it cost. I need to get something, but i need enough room to type the weekly challenges on, and submit them. I was just wondering if you knew...and is it wifi accessable?

Thanks,
Richard
God Bless,
Rtodd (Rich) :thumbs

P.S. I am making a goal to be really stretched and work on fiction stories for the second quarter of 2014. I covet your prayers for creative and original ideas...Thanks in advance! :bow :coolsign

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm not Deejay, but a netbook is a small laptop, some are almost tablet size. Most are WiFi accessible. But, do a lot of research before you get one. We got one for my husband, thinking he could use it for school, but since it's android based, it wasn't compatible with his school site and had to buy a word processing ap, that wasn't as good as we'd hoped. It's basically good for an ereader, can't get most of the games to work on it.

rtodd5011 wrote:Deejay, what is a netbook and how much does it cost. I need to get something, but i need enough room to type the weekly challenges on, and submit them. I was just wondering if you knew...and is it wifi accessable?

Thanks,
Richard
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

rtodd5011
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby rtodd5011 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:57 am

i have wifi in my house, and need something to get online to read email and facebook, with Microsoft Word on it to work on my writing with. and yes inexpensive too. ha. any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich
God Bless,
Rtodd (Rich) :thumbs

P.S. I am making a goal to be really stretched and work on fiction stories for the second quarter of 2014. I covet your prayers for creative and original ideas...Thanks in advance! :bow :coolsign

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:43 pm

Rich, most netbooks cost $300 or less. I got mine on sale, but because it was a return, I had to pay the $6 restocking fee. Yes, it's Wi-Fi compatible. And if you want a really good security system after the one it comes with expires, I suggest VIPRE Internet Security from www.sunbeltsoftware.com . I got the one PC, home edition , with lifetime protection, for about $100, and paid an additional $5 or so for the reboot disk, which I highly recommend. Free tech support, too. It's the best one out there.

If you have an account on Amazon, you might be able to get a better deal on a netbook computer.

Return to Open Forum