To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Everyone -

The Southern Porch has had a good run over the past several years, don't you think? We've made lots of new friends, had some great parties and picnics on the Porch, prayed for each other's prayer requests (some urgent, some general), and laughed over each others' postings. It's been great fun and I've loved it!

As with almost everything else, there comes a time when we have to lock the screen door on the porch, send Ole Blue back to his owner with lots of hugs, and say goodbye. I think that time has come. With all the competing interests we all have, it seems we can't spread ourselves so thin that we can no longer keep up.

I want to thank all of you for your love and friendship, for your encouragement and prayers over the past several years. I hope to keep in touch with as many of you as I can and I hope you'll do the same.

If you have any parting thoughts before I ask Debbie to close the porch, please post them soon. I'd like to wrap things up by Wednesday, November 20.

I love you all more than I can say. What a blessing you have been and how I cherish our continuing friendship.

God bless.
:grouphug :grouphug2 :loveyou :love2 :hugs2 :hugs3 :grouphug3 :hugkiss :handshake :love2 :grouphug :grouphug2 :loveyou :hugs2 :hugs3 :hugs3 :grouphug3 :hugkiss :handshake :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou
"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:54 am

Mariane, I echo everything you have said here today. It's time to close the door, and Wednesday will be a sad day for sure.

You have all helped to carry me through some tough days in my life and for that I am most grateful. But, life must go on as the Lord leads until the day we meet at Jesus' feet. Thank you all for your friendship, your humor, your love, your prayers, and your caring hearts.

I believe all the porch sitters have my email address. Please stay in touch when you can. I will do that as well. May God bless all of you!

:grouphug2

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:26 pm

Don't leave the FW forums, though. I'd miss you all too much! (even if I don't post in here very often). Feel free to come invade the "Pacific Cost Rest Stop," if you feel led. We don't bite... too hard. ;) :lol:

I know didn't stop by often, but please you'll never know how much I appreciated knowing you all were praying for me during my surgery earlier this year, and in other times I've ventured over here.

Please stay! :cry:
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:52 pm

The porch has been a sheltering place with dear friends. The porch might be closed and locked but not our friendships. A goodbye hug for all who have lingered here with me. God bless you every one.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:00 pm

:( :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I echo Allison's sentiments, perhaps even more strongly, since this is just about the only regular connection I continue with FaithWriters. And, the Southern Porch has been my only "home," here. I would hate to see it closed and lose all the history (anyone computer savvy enough to collect everything on one of those little memory thingies? to share with us). I remember how dreadful I felt when our "Minnesota Nice" was removed without advance notice, that I was aware of, anyway. Have we been asked to take it down (too many pages, or?)?

If you need a new hostess to relieve you of your much appreciated welcome, here, BeachGrandma, perhaps we could ask Allison (who seems to be an agile trotter around the forums) to recruit a new Southerner to man the boat! [Couldn't think of a porch metaphor! :sorry ]

Thank you for alerting us, BeachGrandma. I don't know which would be worse, to have this thread "die" a natural death, or have to find out accidently that it disappeared overnight (like MN Nice did).
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:06 pm

This is from Carol who still has problems posting:

I'm still having issues regarding posting on the porch for some reason, but I wanted to express my love and appreciation for your friendship, love and support. Although unable to post lately, I have enjoyed the conversations...the laughs and the teasing..but especially the prayer support we've had in each other.

I'm sure none of you realized what a life line you have been for me. I didn't realize one could have such great friends and never even meet. God has been good to us.

Thank you, Mariane, for hosting this special place if comfort and joy. You have all been used to bless my life. I hope, too, we can stay in touch through email. God bless you all,

Love to all,
Carol

Mariane Holbrook

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:37 pm

It is a sad day to see the Porch close, even if I don't visit very often anymore. It is like driving through my mom's hometown and seeing a vacant lot where my grandparent's house used to stand. Haven't been in the house since high school, but always knew it was there. The memories are not quite the same sitting in front of an empty lot, but they are still sweet memories. My mom was born in that house, and as a child, I remember playing with random kids whose families had business at the funeral parlor next door. Guess it was a kind of ministry, but I never thought of it as such. We were just kids with a new friend for the day.

This thread has been a life line for me during some tough times, as expressed by others. I feel as if some of my best friends are people that I met on this porch, most of which I have never met in person. I love you all very much.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:18 pm

Please allow me to add another post to my previous one, then, I'll shut my mouth.

I rarely visit areas of FW other than the porch. I trust that the friendships I have established here over the past 6-7 years are mutual. It has never been easy for me to make friends, and as a result I have never allowed many to come into my life.

However, due to my circumstances of recent months, they are needed now more than ever, and with the porch closing, I must search elsewhere. But where? And how?

It is my prayer that the Lord would plant a huge road sign with flashing neon lights directly in my path that simply could not be ignored, bypassed, or misread. Perhaps such a sign might direct me to someone, or something, or a situation whereby I could be a blessing to others, and bring meaningful purpose and hope for my tomorrows during this winter season of my life.

I pray it might happen soon.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Wah! I don't want to go! Say it ain't so.

:redface2 :seeingstars :cry2 :orangeyes

:hugkiss
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Don, I think you and Carol/GreenLeaves are the only two here who are not also on facebook, which is as much like getting lost in a big city, as the Porch is like our favorite small town. I cannot recommend it as an alternative, because it is different. But, it could be just your cup of tea!

What I like about it is being able to have a "virtual" family reunion without the work of traveling, and being able to check up on a friend that hasn't shown up for awhile on the news feed. I consider my "timeline" home base, there, as my bulletin board to the public, posting things I consider important, heart-touching, etc. It's free, and you'll also find those, like a couple of our granddaughters, who use it as a place to bring their fledgling home-based business some exposure (one does photography, the other knits/crochets new baby items).

With your background, nature storytelling and wood-carving abilities, and your desire to be a blessing, you might want to check it out and see what you think. Just holler for help from any of us already there, if you bump into a dilemma. 8)

Everyone else, here, has been so gracious about BeachGrandma's announcement. I hope my protest didn't sound in any way hostile. I guess I don't deal well with change, which is inevitable in this dimension of time and space. So, I squawk, want to get to the bottom of it in hopes of "fixing" any problem, so I can settle back into routine.

You'd think I'd know by now that, while God changes not, this life does. :cry:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:45 am

:shock: :shock:

I came back after a couple of years, went on vacation then came back to post links to the photos we took while away and it's "farewell". Oh dear. :cry: :cry: Sorry to see the porch go.

I have made my Facebook photo pages public for 48 hours.

https://www.facebook.com/chrissy.siggee.3/posts/1385614058345752

https://www.facebook.com/chrissy.siggee.3/posts/1385619445011880

https://www.facebook.com/chrissy.siggee.3/posts/1386382538268904

https://www.facebook.com/chrissy.siggee.3/posts/1386246864949138

https://www.facebook.com/chrissy.siggee.3/posts/1389180531322438

Chrissy

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:47 am

Dear Friends -

Nowhere is it written in stone that we must close the Porch now. I was, in fact, responding to the several Emails I've received from members saying they think it has served its purpose, that Facebook is where everyone hangs out now, and it pains them to see days go by with no postings on the Porch at all.

If you have changed your minds and want it to remain open, of course it should stay open. Perhaps one of you would like to take the helm since I've been at it since the beginning, and maybe one of you could pump new blood into it. If one of you want to step up to the plate and volunteer, please do so now.

No one wants to go on record as saying, in effect, "I'm so busy with so many other things and think it best to close the Porch." That would sound terrible. I realize that. If you want to Email me about your feelings, one way or the other, please feel free to do so. Perhaps some of you have changed your minds and that's ok, too.

If it remains open, everyone needs to support it with frequent postings. Otherwise, it looks like a sad, struggling, neglected porch that in itself is not a good testimony. We want to be sure if we post an urgent prayer request that days don't go by before anyone responds and by then the crisis is over.

I have an open mind about this. Not by choice am I having to limit myself at the computer, but that shouldn't determine whether the porch stays open or closes. If you want to commit yourself to the Porch, not on a "when I can, if I can" basis, then it should remain open. Frequent postings keep the Porch open. It's a commitment and a promise.

If you want to Email me privately, please feel free to do so. We'll put next Wednesday's date on hold til we have a better sense of what you want to do.

Love you bunches.
:loveyou :loveyou

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:12 pm

:hugs2 :hugkiss :handshake :grouphug3 Thank you, thank you, thank you, BeachGrandma! I'm so glad it wasn't an order to close from any authorities unhappy with the size of our Porch. Whew!

My experience in the past with other threads (a person can get lost posting on too many of them) is that every once in awhile, if one began to lag way behind other ones, someone would post "just to bump this up" into the mainstream, once more. Again, my experience was that after a certain amount of time, some quite long stretches of time, even (MN Nice wasn't that long), a neglected thread would eventually get pushed off the end of the pier into oblivion (perhaps the only ones who noticed its demise came looking for a specific thread after awhile away from the forums). So, since the Porch was no where near that status, I was taken by surprise at a "closing" date.

I think I get notices from the Porch nearly every day, and, unless away from the computer for a trip, etc., try to come calling to post a note, if I have anything relevant to say. So, I don't see that we're in trouble at all.

That doesn't mean that those of us who are still around aren't lonesome for our long-lost Porch mates when they move out of the territory!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Chrissy, what a gorgeous vacation you must have had! Is all that scenery from your homeland down under? I never realized how beautiful it could be. Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your photos!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:55 pm

A blast from the past - we visited my brother, this afternoon, and he had this photo I'd never seen before. My hubby took a snapshot of the picture (cracked glass frame and all) with his smart phone and sent me a copy for myself:

Included are my sister Rachel, an unknown friend, my brother "Lanky" (Phil) and his Barbie-doll high school sweetheart, me and Wesley, the fellow I went steady with throughout nurses' training. Only Lanky and I remain of this group. Barbie died way too young, and Rachel and Wes left us for Paradise, too. What a blessing to still have photos to remind us of happy days of yore! (I don't recognize the little girl.)

I wonder what I did with that yellow blouse! I love it! 8)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler