Be a Better Writer--COMPOUND SENTENCES

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

tomoral
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Re: Be a Better Writer--COMPOUND SENTENCES

Post by tomoral »

:sorry Sorry, didn't mean I didn't appreciate what you are all doing here. I do. As I said, I'm a bit slow on all the proper puncts. I meant my muddled brain would try to keep up with the pros.

:thankssign But I will keep trying to figure it all out, and bless you for all you do to help us all here on Faithwriters.
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Oh gosh, no apology necessary. I just meant that if you have a specific question, I'd be glad to try to clarify for you.

Oooh, that gives me an idea for next week's lesson...
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Come forth
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Come forth »

I'm coming in a bit later here; been very busy and haven't had time to think about all of this.

I think sentence construction, and the difference between compound, complex, simple and plain old confusing :lol: sentences are a skillful way to convey emotion and to engage the reader in the story.

Short sentences. Quick and to the point. Powerful punches. Like a quick, sharp storm. They move the story along like wildfire.

Whereas a longer, perhaps more thought out, compound sentence slows things down a little and gives the reader time to smell the roses. What a great opportunity to catch your breath, allow things to meander through the soul and to identify with the MC.

Okay, I'm speaking the obvious here and not trying to preach to the converted that which they already know. But for me at least, that is very much why I need to know the correct structures and theory of English grammar, so that when I practice my art I produce greater pieces of art (probably by breaking all the rules). :lol:

Thanks, Jan for another great learning experience. Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm
tomoral
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by tomoral »

Okay now, that makes a lot of sense to me...slowing down long enough to smell the roses...I get that.

Thanks Graham!
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394
choosingjoy
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by choosingjoy »

Mmmm, I counted compound sentences, and if correct, there are only 8 in my 728 word piece. I had none at all with semicolons. Something to ponder. Even if I'm not getting all these identified correctly, it has given me something to think about. I hope to have more variety as I write, but I think I'll still shy away from too many "ands' because of getting a strong criticism about it from a magazine editor. It was probably just the particular piece I sent her, but it made me gun shy. :lol: I know the goal is learning how to use different kinds of sentences for clarity and interest.

:thankssign again!
A child of the King!
Genia
oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by oursilverstrands »

Jan wrote:Since Divine Chocolate supports ethical cacao growers, it is the only brand I will buy.
Jan, I've peppered questions throughout this post so I hope it's not too confusing. The following is my example of a compound sentence:

Thanks for clearing this up (Do I need a comma here?) Jan and Steve, because the first part of the sentence didn't "sound" right as an independent clause.

Did I pass the test? :D Also, I ususally read my entire piece out loud. It helps me determine if I need to combine simple sentences into compound ones.

Also, without getting too much into the grammar weeds, the site you suggested makes a distinction between coordinating conjunctions and subordinating conjunctions.

Question: (Is this colon used correctly here?)

Is it correct to conclude that subordinating conjunctions always transforms an independent sentence into a dependent clause - (Did I use that dash correctly?) which seems to be the case in the sample sentence.

Again, thanks for a great lesson.

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

lish1936 wrote:
Jan wrote:Since Divine Chocolate supports ethical cacao growers, it is the only brand I will buy.
Jan, I've peppered questions throughout this post so I hope it's not too confusing. The following is my example of a compound sentence:

Thanks for clearing this up (Do I need a comma here?) Jan and Steve, because the first part of the sentence didn't "sound" right as an independent clause.

Did I pass the test? :D Also, I ususally read my entire piece out loud. It helps me determine if I need to combine simple sentences into compound ones.

Also, without getting too much into the grammar weeds, the site you suggested makes a distinction between coordinating conjunctions and subordinating conjunctions.

Question: (Is this colon used correctly here?)

Is it correct to conclude that subordinating conjunctions always transforms an independent sentence into a dependent clause - (Did I use that dash correctly?) which seems to be the case in the sample sentence.

Again, thanks for a great lesson.

Lillian
Welcome back, Lillian! I'll answer the questions that I can, and hope that Steve sees this to chime in on the rest.

You definitely need a comma before 'Jan and Steve'. Commas are used whenever you address a person (or people) by name.

The first part of that sentence--without the 'since'--was an independent clause. It was the addition of the word 'since' that made it a dependent clause.

The colon after 'Question' is absolutely correct.

I couldn't tell you a thing about subordinating conjunctions--sorry.

I don't think I'd have used a dash where you did, since one part of that sentence was actually a question. I'd have written it this way:

Is it correct to conclude that subordinating conjunctions always transform an independent sentence into a dependent clause? That seems to be the case in the sample sentence.

I hope I understood all of your questions. Let me know if I've missed the mark.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
swfdoc1
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by swfdoc1 »

Lillian,

What you said about subordinating conjunctions is correct.
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien
amilli
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by amilli »

This lesson was truly a mouthful, but I think it helped me to identify my style of writing. I now believe I prefer writing compound sentences because I can't seem to shut up. When writing, I tend to have so much to say; I normally just keep writing, and use varying conjunctions to hold my thoughts together -- dashes and semi-colons are welcomed too. :P (my version of a compound sentence...hope it doesn't fall in the complex category too)

This lesson also helped me to conclude that I think I might have miscounted the simple sentences from the last assignment. :oops: Recounting, I got: 53 sentences, 28 simple, and 17 compound. (Hope the #s don't change after the next lesson)
Amelia

My writing is a passion, not a hobby!

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”