To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Who is doing any editing?

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, Sparrow, RedBaron, cori67, itsjoanne, beaedwards

Granny's Pen
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Who is doing any editing?

Postby Granny's Pen » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:51 pm

If you are doing editing or proofreading, do you have a website or blog devoted to that? Would anyone have any tips to point me in the right direction to get started? I considered doing this in the past, but I am motivated now and am determined to make it happen. I'd sure appreciate your encouragement, too. Thanks.
Granny's Pen

eaglelion

Re: Who is doing any editing?

Postby eaglelion » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi Granny's Pen -

Yes, I do editing. My web site is http://www.solidjourney.webs.com. You may be inclined to view my site and to read some of the testimonials posted there.
Psalm 63:8 - KJV
My soul followeth hard after thee:...

My profile http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=42309

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm doing editing, not only for the FW testimony book, but I also have members contact me on a regular basis to do editing jobs. I think it is because of all of the critiques I leave in the challenge and the circle. The critique Circle especially is a great way to get contacts because I leave super detailed crits, pointing out the good as well as constructive advice and give examples.

I don't have a website or a blog, but am also doing editing for a subsidy press. In the last year, through FW contacts and the subsidy press I have almost had at least one if not several, projects going at all times. I am also editor of our Church newsletter and also have had people reach out to me through that.

I hope it helps some. I think you'd be great at it. Though I'll admit some of the rules...even the experts don't agree on!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:20 pm

I do some editing, but the pay depends on the project, how detailed the edit is, and the client's budget. If it's for a friend, I work for what they can afford, payments, etc. Other times, there is a pre-set pay and I either accept or decline the project.

I've done some research on pricing and there is a HUGE variety out there. Pricing is one of my hardest things to determine. I've been yelled at for undercharging more than once lol.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Yeah I agree with Shari about the pricing. It is so hard to determine. Some work needs a lot of work and others aren't that bad. I was trying to charge a penny a word for basic edit and two cents for detailed editing, but some people thought that was too much, but if you look at others it really isn't. Many people will charge per page from $3 to $6 (I've never charged that much.) The subsidy press pays per project and that can average to about $25-50, though I've done rewrites for more and may even start trying ghostwriting. I think I like doing rewriting the best, especially for people who are going to self-publish and have never really written anything before but have a story to tell.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Granny's Pen

Postby Granny's Pen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks so much for all your input here. I will be checking out the links that you left for me. I have taken an editing class, but haven't used it yet except for my own writing. I have done a couple of things for others, but nothing that paid. I guess it will be a slow start, but that's okay.
Granny's Pen

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Granny's Pen wrote:I guess it will be a slow start,

Kudos for starting! :clap

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:52 am

When I first started editing professionally I asked a seasoned editor here at FW if I could work under her and sort of do an internship. That helped my confidence and skill levels a lot! I love to work with a team, so it's that much more certain everything gets caught.

I have a website that has one page dedicated to editing, I think, but the whole website isn't just for editing. I find that word of mouth usually brings me more work than I can handle, so I don't do much advertising. At times in the past when I was doing more editing, though, I would occasionally post on a self publishing message board or somewhere like that, offering my services. The lady I worked under initially got a lot of our work off www.elance.com, though it was very difficult to get paid very well with jobs from there.

I've heard 1 cent per word as the "standard" price for edits, but in real life I agree with others that there isn't really a standard. I usually use it as a sort of guideline, though, and mark it down if it's an easy job or a friend's, or go closer to the one cent if it's a lot of work. I have a really hard time deciding on pricing, too. I always feel like I'm undercutting myself, but I also know most authors can't afford much.

Good luck!
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Return to Open Forum