To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Question for participants

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

Question for participants

Postby glorybee » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 am

Next week's lesson will cover the need to write with a variety of sentence structures. I have two versions; one version uses a fair number of grammatical terms and the other avoids grammatical terms almost entirely.

Which one would you prefer?

I'd love responses from many of you, even if you've just been a 'lurker' in this forum. Thanks!
Jan Ackerson

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Question for participants

Postby lish1936 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Jan, I prefer the use of grammatical terms along with the lesson. For me, it would enhance the learning experience. If I'm stumped, I can always holler for help. :-)

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Mike Newman
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby Mike Newman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:39 pm

I second Lilian's response. I would rather be forced to do a little learning to discover what something means than have it omitted.

Thanks Jan.

Mike

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:46 pm

I like the idea of the terms too. It helps cement it in my head when I think of things like squinting modifiers. It helps me remember them better.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:58 pm

What's a squinting modifier?
Jan Ackerson

Come forth

Postby Come forth » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:25 pm

I also vote for the terms to be included.

A squinting modifier is a photo of me trying to place a ; :lol:

Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:13 am

A squinting modifier is a phrase where It's unclear which part of the sentence it is modifying. Examples: What you hear often you believe. I told Piper when the game was over Grandma would hug her.

It's called a squinting modifier because it appears to be looking at two places at once. :roll: (I'M too tired to look up a squinting Smiley, but I bet there is one. )
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:27 am

Shann wrote:A squinting modifier is a phrase where It's unclear which part of the sentence it is modifying. Examples: What you hear often you believe. I told Piper when the game was over Grandma would hug her.

It's called a squinting modifier because it appears to be looking at two places at once. :roll: (I'M too tired to look up a squinting Smiley, but I bet there is one. )

Hmmm. Maybe it's the late hour, but I'm totally not getting it. What phrase is the squinting modifier in your example? What part(s) of the sentence is it modifying?

A few weeks ago, Steve used the phrase 'expletive constructions,' and now I've been introduced to 'squinting modifiers.' The more I learn, the less I know, it seems. (But I'm still not getting this one).

Maybe you could give me another example?
Jan Ackerson

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:37 am

Shann wrote:A squinting modifier is a phrase where It's unclear which part of the sentence it is modifying. Examples: What you hear often you believe. I told Piper when the game was over Grandma would hug her.

I put the squinters in italics. Often could modify what you hear or what you believe.
In the next did I tell Piper after the game or were you going to hug her after the game? Does that make sense? I should be sleeping, but headache is keeping me awake, so I'm not sure if I'm making sense.

I think there is another term for it, but that one sticks with me.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Come forth

Postby Come forth » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:11 am

The other term is 'misplaced modifier'. The one I know of anyway.

It's where a word could refer to what comes before it or what comes after it. "John said later he would go to the shop." Later being the misplaced modifier. Did John say it later or did he mean that, later he would go to the shop. The word 'later' squints in that it could be seen to be looking both ways.

Probably a poor example because most of us wouldn't write a sentence like this; but it shows the point.

Hope this helps. Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

swfdoc1

Postby swfdoc1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:42 am

At least in the States, misplaced modifiers and squinting modifiers are slightly different. Squinting modifiers are as Shann explained—they could modify one of two things that they are placed between. Misplaced modifiers only modify one thing, but it is the wrong thing. Probably the most famous American example is “Abraham Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg address while traveling from Washington to Gettysburg on the back of an envelope.” Finally there are dangling modifiers, which (most frequently) modify words that aren’t even in the sentence. For example: “Vacuuming the living room, Jan’s cats ran out of the room.”
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Got it. I'm very aware of misplaced and dangling modifiers; squinting ones are new to me.

If I had the time and the money, I'd go back and get a degree in English. I love this stuff. I'd really like to learn how to diagram a sentence--they never taught that in my high school. I suppose I could teach myself, but I don't trust myself to get it right.
Jan Ackerson

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:05 pm

Oh, I remember diagramming a sentence! We did it in 7th grade English. At the time, I enjoyed it and did quite well, but my friends grumbled that it was stupid and hard and we would never use it. I remember going along with the crowd because I didn't want to feel left out. The teacher used to use my homework as examples, and I was quickly dubbed teacher's pet.

I wanted to fit in because back then 7th grade was junior high and it was essential to be cool. My sister told Mom I had to wear Levi jeans and part my hair in the middle to avoid being an outcast. I'd never cared about clothes and would have preferred to browse a bookstore rather than a clothes store. I succumbed not just to peer pressure but to sibling pressure too. (I think she didn't want me to hurt her reputation in my no name pants)

My English grade dropped about 20 points in one semester. I remember the teacher talking to me about not following the crowd. As an adult, I've joked that when I grow up I want to be a librarian. I've also muttered about why no one ever suggested that option to me when I was in school searching for the right major that fit me. I think I know why now, though--because I succumbed to the crowd and pretended that English stuff was stupid.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but really wanted to share this because, Jan, not only are you helping with writing skills for many people. You really helped me reconcile a bit with my past. I have tears in my eyes and finally am letting go of some bitterness that I wasn't even fully aware of until just now.

It's also a cool example of how God can and does use us to help others in ways that we might not have intended, but are just as important, maybe more than the goals we set for ourselves. I also joke that I'm a bit hard-headed and while God may need to nudge others to obey him, he throws bricks at me until I give in and agree to do what he is asking me.

Also I never really understood what dangling modifiers where, I thought it was when the preposition like of or for was at the end of a sentence. Wow, I've learned a lot in the past five minutes or so. I wish you could see my face and feel the lightness of my heart right now. You gave me a beautiful gift by being obedient to God and pouring tons of work into a lesson. It may not have been the outcome you planned, but I have no doubt that God's fingerprints are all over this.

I think with some review, I might be able to help you with the sentence diagraming if you really want to tackle it. My kids never learned it. They barely touched on nouns and verbs. They may have done a bit of subject and predicates, but not a lot.

Also, even though you are busy and finances tight, I think you should take that English class. It's important to do something for you because then you will have the energy to do more for God and others. Have you ever looked into auditing an English class at a nearby college? I wanted to do that, but they only offer it for free for "senior citizens" at my local college. I did suggest it to my father-in-law though, and he took two writing classes for free and loved them. The rules are different for each school, but it might be worth looking into...

Again thank you. You really made a difference. It may not seem like much, but just a tiny seed of bitterness can grow into a weed that strangles the heart. I'm able to let go of it now. Who knows without that weed maybe my health will improve enough and I could go back and get my degree in Library Science! :coolsign
Shann

Shann's Profile

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Warning: I was never good at jokes. :sofa

Shann wrote:A squinting modifier is a phrase where It's unclear which part of the sentence it is modifying. .

It's called a squinting modifier because it appears to be looking at two places at once. :roll:

From one nurse to the other, Shann, and in keeping with the ophthalmological definition, I think the squinting modifier is best described as being cross-eyed.

Lillian :love2
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

judi
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby judi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:08 pm

:superhappy [ Having graduated from High school in 1961 on my eighteenth birthday - I need all the help you can give. I dangle participles and split infinitives!
Last edited by judi on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KJV Revelation 14:12
KJV Hebrews 10:26-31

BUCKETS OF RED INK WELCOME, THANKS!

Congratulations to all who not only win acclaim for your incredibly beautiful entries, but also to all contributing who feel His Holy Spirit move within us as we write to honor Him - all these wondrous heartbeats of praise to YHWH! I love you all.

Next

Return to Jan's Writing Basics