To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Okay...I have a question for the chefs who frequent the porch.

Today I made a applesauce spice cake with some raisins mixed in. Then, I made a caramel frosting for the cake.

The cake turned out great, but the frosting was a disaster. As soon as I poured it onto the cake and began to spread it, the frosting quickly became rock-hard and brittle. I would need a chisel to break it up. Here is the recipe used:

1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. milk
1/3 c. margarine

Mix together and boil over medium heat for 3 min. - stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and add:
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar

Beat until creamy.

I followed those directions perfectly. What went wrong?

I was expecting a nice creamy caramel frosting, not something that wouldn't crack even if a truck drove over it.

My grandmother used to make spice cake with caramel frosting, and it was always very good. I would ask grandma about it, but she hasn't been around lately.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Don, I can't imagine what happened, since it sounds like a no-fail recipe (maybe today's weather/barometric pressure?). One of my favorite desserts is penuche frosting on dark chocolate/devil's food cake. For comparison, here's the Betty Crocker recipe - perhaps the directions might help? Anyway, here it is:

Easy Penuche Icing

1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
3 Tbsp milk
1 to 1-1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in brown sugar. Boil and stir over low heat 2 min. Stir in milk. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm (120 degrees). Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar. Place pan in ice water and stir until thick enough to spread. For 9" square cake.

I mentioned the weather/barometric pressure because I was reminded of my education making fudge at my brother's in the mountains of Arizona. Seven minutes boiling time, according to the recipe, was way too long. We could hardly get it out of the pan in time, it hardened up so fast. 8)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Wow! What is this place? I vaguely remember it, but it's been a looong time.

:superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy

Glad I found my way back. I suddenly realized I hadn't received any notices in a while, and had to go searching for the porch. I've missed all of you. I have no idea how long I've been away.

Totally my own fault, so wrapped up in doing nothing I lost rack of where I wasn't. :D

I was writing reviews for children's books for a few months, actually getting paid for it! Then the owner of the site decided to stop doing reviews.

Not much going on, just day to day stuff. I'm finally getting back into working out. With my new insurance coverage (I qualify for Medicare now), and the part B that I got, I qualify for the Silver Sneakers program, so I started attending water classes at UAMS. I'm signed up for their Institute on Aging. However, Marianne has me beat by several years. My favorite aunt just had her 84th birthday last week. Wish I could have been there with her.

Love the program at UAMS sooo much better than the one at the senior center I had been going to. The classes are run by physical therapists instead of volunteers. They actually know what they are doing! And the pool is soooo much cleaner, so, hopefully, more nasty UTI's. :thumbs :thumbs
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:34 am

Edy wrote:Don, I can't imagine what happened, since it sounds like a no-fail recipe (maybe today's weather/barometric pressure?). One of my favorite desserts is penuche frosting on dark chocolate/devil's food cake. For comparison, here's the Betty Crocker recipe - perhaps the directions might help? Anyway, here it is:

Easy Penuche Icing

1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
3 Tbsp milk
1 to 1-1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in brown sugar. Boil and stir over low heat 2 min. Stir in milk. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cool to lukewarm (120 degrees). Gradually stir in confectioners' sugar. Place pan in ice water and stir until thick enough to spread. For 9" square cake.

I mentioned the weather/barometric pressure because I was reminded of my education making fudge at my brother's in the mountains of Arizona. Seven minutes boiling time, according to the recipe, was way too long. We could hardly get it out of the pan in time, it hardened up so fast. 8)

Maybe you are right about the weather/barometric pressure. My frosting (concrete) was made during the severe storms that hit nearby.

Here are other thoughts, too. Perhaps the boiling time on the recipe was too long...perhaps it called for too much powdered sugar...and perhaps I beat it too long (to extra creamy).

When I made the cake I poured it into two 9"x 9" baking dishes and only tried to frost one of them. The other one went into the freezer for later. I'll try to frost that one next week using recipe changes.

Interesting note:
I covered the cake that had the glob of concrete frosting on it with foil and let it sit overnight. This morning the concrete had softened somewhat. At least it doesn't break into large chunks when cut.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:01 pm

Oh me! It's been a focus on me week with doctor's visits. (That happens when you get old). Reports are good, thank the Lord, but I hate it that I missed the birthday celebration of one of the dearest people I know in the world. Happy Belated Birthday, dearest Mariane. I'd trust your judgment over that of anyone I know who's a half or fourth of your age. You wear all your years beautifully and are a wonderful inspiration to me, as well as all who know you. May God grant you a zillion blessings this year. And may you and John enjoy all your years together.

Happy Anniversary, dear Carol. May you and your husband also enjoy all your years together!

Don, sometimes icing has a mind of its own. I've found usually when it's stormy that icing doesn't even set. Yours is the exception. Now why does that not surprise me.

Welcome Carole!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:56 am

Carole L wrote:Wow! What is this place? I vaguely remember it, but it's been a looong time.

:superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy

Glad I found my way back. I suddenly realized I hadn't received any notices in a while, and had to go searching for the porch. I've missed all of you. I have no idea how long I've been away.

Hi Carole

Long time no see me either. I still love you avatar. So cute.

Chrissy

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:01 am

Well,Carole!!! It's so good to see your smiling face again! We've missed you in here. I'm so glad to hear about your medical coverage. Are your husband and son doing ok? I can't remember if your son went into the ministry after he went to Israel or not. Maybe you can fill us in on your family when you get a minute. We don't look on anyone as having left the porch; we just consider them taking a little breather, no matter how long or short it is.

Verna, thank you for those kind words. I mean them all for you, too. I want everyone to know about your new book that's about to be published. Please keep us up to date about the time frame, etc. I love the new cover you selected.

Chrissy, I'm planning to buy your mom's book. I'll let you know how much I enjoyed it when I finish reading it. I'm sure it's good.

I have two boys who are begging for chocolate cupcakes so I'll drop in later.

Love you guys and gals. :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug3
Mariane Holbrook

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:09 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:
Chrissy, I'm planning to buy your mom's book. I'll let you know how much I enjoyed it when I finish reading it. I'm sure it's good.

I had my hands tied somewhat publishing this book. I so much wanted to do more. Oh, it's nothing serious but my older siblings were constantly at me to keep it to the original words and that's fine but there were times....

Anyway, everyone has enjoyed the book and most feedback is good. I'm sure you will like it. :)

Chrissy

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:06 am

Happy belated birthday, Mariane. I cannot begin to tell you how much your friendship has meant to me. Happy anniversary, Carol. Welcome back Chrissy and Carole. It is good to see you both again.

Sorry that I have been AWOL. I haven't been getting notices from the porch and even though I often leave my laptop on FB and email, I have been spending less and less time on the computer lately.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't have the words that would adequately describe how much I enjoyed the awesome concert by The Hoppers last night. They are an amazing family with amazing talent.

The concert location was about 30 miles away from my home, and was not held in a mega-church as I had suspected. Rather, it was done in a smaller church with about 400-500 capacity. The church was full.

Kim Hopper can really belt out a song. Hearing her sing "Jerusalem" gives me goose bumps. My seat was four rows from the stage platform, so they were performing only about 20' away from me.

It's my understanding that Sandi Patty will be in our area to perform in 3-4 weeks. Although I enjoy hearing her sing, I probably will not go to that concert.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:13 am

About 8:30 this morning I walked the 60 yards to my mailbox to collect my newspaper, but on the way there I spotted some movement out of the corner of my eye. When I looked up I saw 22 large hawks circling at a very low altitude directly above me. They seemed to appear out of nowhere. I had never seen that many hawks in one place.

I stopped for a minute to watch them, but those birds of prey continued their non-stop surveillance activity just above my head.

What were they doing? I think they were watching me. Did they think I was dead? Were they sizing me up as a mid-morning snack? Or, were they eyeing me as the main course entrée for a street-side luncheon banquet?

This was getting spooky. I decided to walk faster toward the mailbox.

I thought, "See, I'm moving. I'm not dead. I'm not road-kill. Find a dead rabbit or squirrel for lunch. Go away from me!"

With newspaper in hand, I hurried back to the house. As I was closing the door, the hawks quickly left the area.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Don, I love the way you write. You are so funny and creative.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Dittos from me, too, Don! 8)

GreenLeaves, it's so nice to see your smiley face on the porch, again. Are you having as beautiful a day in your neck of the woods as we are having here in our north "woods" area? I could live with an entire year of such days, pleasantly cool and brightly sunny. :thumbs
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Green Leaves wrote:Don, I love the way you write. You are so funny and creative.

Funny, maybe, but creative? No!!! It actually happened the way I wrote it.

There were 22 hawks circling overhead. I had to count them twice to be sure. Did you ever try to count a couple of dozen birds swarming around like drunken bees? It's like counting snowflakes falling in a blizzard. :lol:

I hope the hawks had a good lunch.....somewhere else.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Allison

Postby Allison » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:31 pm

When my brother and sister-in-law, David and Becky, (who celebrated their 10the wedding anniversary on Friday!) were hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, David had to go back to sign a log book, or something, and Becky was sitting on a rock/boulder at the side of the trail waiting for him. A few buzzards started circling directly overhead. At one point, she stood up, started waving her arms, and said "I'm not dead!" :lol:
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler