To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:12 am

I LOVE THE HOPPERS! Please give us a full report after the concert! Lucky you!
:clap :clap
Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks for keeping us smiling, Don.

Mariane, I grew up in a church where 100 was a good crowd. We surely do receive blessings with our Spirit led expository preacher. Dr. Munro is the new preacher for Back to the Bible readio programs as well. Previously a lawyer in Scotland, he lays the Gospel out straight. He chooses a book and goes straight through it. He says there are some chapters he wouldn't mind skipping. Last Sunday when he preached from Galatians, he did not delete anything from the sins Paul mentioned in that chapter. He is bold for God's sake. I'm wondering how long this will be permitted in the changing moral structure of our nation.

School ---it is a startin' and this will be the first year in 70 that I have not had the expectation of going to school. I retired from my subbing job. (Probably high time--you're suggesting.)

I am eager to get my second book on Amazon, but those working with me don't have that same eagerness! Oh well!

Warm greetings to all as we head toward another week-end.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Verna, I'm so anxious for your new book to come out. Do you have an ETA,perhaps before Christmas? It would make great Christmas gifts.

I know Charlotte Latin will be sorry not to see you in their classrooms this year. I am amazed that you taught for so long, especially since some days I know it had to be hard physically on you. You have quite a track record.

When I had my cortisone shots in my hips Tuesday, the doctor while giving me an examination noticed a heart murmur which involves a valve rushing too much blood in that area or something. So he scheduled a echocardiogram for next Wednesday to see more about it. The shots do me so much good for about a month, then the pain kicks in again. But praise the Lord it helps me to walk around a little easier now.

I hope you all have a great weekend. Hugs and love.

:grouphug3 :grouphug3 :grouphug2 :grouphug2 :grouphug :grouphug :hugs2 :hugs2 :loveyou :loveyou :hugkiss :hugkiss :handshake :handshake :grouphug :grouphug2
Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Mariane, it's my understanding that the heart murmur sound occurs as blood flows backward through valve leaflets that have not closed tightly. When the leaflets aren't as flexible as they should be, they don't seal properly - allowing blood to backflow from blood pressure build-up after each heartbeat. The leaflets can become calcified causing loss of flexibility. There are three leaflets in each valve that fold together under pressure forming a momentary seal until the heart beats again. If I remember correctly, there are four valves in the heart - aortic, mitral, tri-cuspid (2).

Echocardiograms are really cool to watch on their big computer screen. You will see it in color with red and blue flashing lights showing blood flow and tissue movement. Carol had many echocardiograms, and I watched every one of them.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 am

Here is a story that my son wrote "because he was bored" and posted on Facebook. I told him to join Faithwriters, which he actually did when he turned 15 in January, but he hasn't done anything on here. His request to join the forums resulted in a computer error, so we will see what happens.

Prologue: The Fire

Images flashed past Adrai's vision, each more confusing and shorter than the last. A man, in the finery of a court, standing at the end of a marble hallway, covered in strange runes. A sword blade , shattered, embedded into the floor. A golden cross, the likes of which she had only ever seen in churches, glowing white with searing hot energy.

Startling. Screaming. Gasping for breath. Adrai pulled herself from the so-called comforts of her bed and tried to recall where she was. *Home.* The word echoed through her thoughts, but it didn't seem right. This wasn't home. Home was a shack in the woods with her father and little brother, not this empty, dark, damp scelpture. Scelpture. Why had she used that word? What did it mean? A tomb. So she was in a tomb. Trapped. Hiding from the Prince. The Prince? Who was that? Could he be the man in robes from her dream? Or was he out to kill her for some reason?

Her thoughts were interrupted as the lid of her tomb slid open. The sun streaking in danced on the walls, showing her for the first time the strange symbols carved onto the walls. As the mysterious figure continued to remove the lid, the sunlight hit her skin.

It burned.

His talent puts me to shame. :oops:
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:14 am

Joanney! I was beginning to think you had left the building, or the country, as most everyone else has done.

Wow! That son of yours has more descriptive, imaginative, suspense-filled writing ability than I could only dream of having in a lifetime.

My ability has maxed out. This is the best of my best:

See Spot run.
Spot chases bouncing rubber ball.
Ball falls into gopher hole - disappears.
Spot so sad - runs away from home.
Gophers playing with new-found toy.

See? It doesn't even rhyme, so poetry is not my calling, either.

Speaking of fur critters, my Betsy is celebrating her birthday today. Six years old, she is - and getting gray around the eyes and muzzle. Hmmm...sorta like me. She won't even chase after a bouncing ball anymore. She prefers a nice nap instead. Again...sorta like me.

:lol:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:15 am

Morning Mariane, I hope all is well with your heart. (it is a wonderful one I know!) I'm glad your pain is less for awhile from your arthritis. I did have some lovely notes from administrators and teachers where I subbed that gladdened my heart. I am hoping my book will be available in early October.

Don, you have a good understanding of a great many things and explain them all so clearly!

My husband and I had physicals yesterday. I guess I feel like the old man with a group of other old men, who stopped by our breakfast table Tuesday to say, "We're old, but we're still breathing."

Joanna, your son does have a real gift with suspense and description.
Verna

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:52 am

Today marks the 30th birthday for my precious nephew "Stever." He has such a patient and loving disposition that when we read this morning's Daily Light on the Daily Path, I couldn't help thinking how appropriate this would be as a greeting for him:

August 23
MORNING

I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

We are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. - God ... hath saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began. - Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

JER. 31:3. II Thes. 2:13,14. II Tim. 1:9. Psa. 139:16. John 3:16. I John 4:10.

I figure this is also appropriate for all you sweet Porch People, today! How blessed we are, thanks be to God!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Hey! Have you missed me? :lol:

I finally followed the trail to get back online. I'm a very slow learner, I guess. Now I just have to figure out how to change me forum password to one I can remember!

I have a whole lot of catching up to do, so I think I'll be lazy and just start fresh now. I've sorta dropped out of the computer world for awhile, I guess.

Now my problem is that I have nothing to say. :lol: And I'm not funny like Don. :(

I'm thinking of entering the challenge ; its been so long since I did any writing, it's scary.

We've had a wonderful summer weather wise. The last couple of years we had so many over 100 degree days but this year none. And we've gotten enough rain to keep our grass green when usually it crunches beneath the feet this time of year. And it's WAY BETTER than last summer battling with those kidney stones!

We will have our eleventh grandchild almost any time now. If I were guessing, it will be a couple of weeks yet. And we will become great grandparents next February.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Yea! Carol's on the porch. Welcome back, friend, and I beat you in the great grandparent fun. I have two!

Wonderful devotion, Edy, and Happy Birthday to your nephew. Is he the one loving the baby? beautfiul father-love picture.

Don, you have talent going to waste. :)

Joanney--sorry I renamed you! :?
Verna

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:39 pm

Green Leaves wrote:
I finally followed the trail to get back online. I'm a very slow learner, I guess. Now I just have to figure out how to change my forum password to one I can remember!

Passwords bite, and I can never remember them either.

Give this a try, Carol. It's what I have done. I don't remember the last time I had to login by entering my password to reach the forum index page.

Do this:
1. First, login to the forum index page using your password.
2. Then, after you are logged in, place the link for the forum index page into your favorites file.

Then, whenever you want to get to the index page simply click on the link you just placed into your favorites file. It will take you there directly without needing to enter a password.

If you do that, you will rarely ever need to enter your password to access the forum. However, write the password down somewhere so you can use it if ever needed.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:40 pm

ready2go wrote:
My ability has maxed out. This is the best of my best:[/color]
See Spot run.
Spot chases bouncing rubber ball.
Ball falls into gopher hole - disappears.
Spot so sad - runs away from home.
Gophers playing with new-found toy.

See? It doesn't even rhyme, so poetry is not my calling, either.

Don
[/b]

My poems rarely rhyme. I use more rhythm than rhyme.

Chrissy

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Don, I sheepishly have to admit I don't know anything about "Favorites" either. Is that the same thing as bookmarks? :sofa
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Allison

Postby Allison » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:49 am

Yes, favorites and bookmarks are the same.

I am thanking God for His protection again. On the way to work on Thursday, there was an accident right in front of me. Two cars involved, both crossed multiple lanes of traffice, and one passed right in front of me... As in there were nothing between the car and me. I'm amazed more cars weren't involved. It was during rush hour on a major highway. And it was the second accident that happened right in front of me in the past year.... A bit crazy! I had a co-worker say she wants to make sure she's never driving near me. :)
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:52 am

Green Leaves wrote:Don, I sheepishly have to admit I don't know anything about "Favorites" either. Is that the same thing as bookmarks? :sofa

Yes! They are just different names for the same thing.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler