To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby deejay » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:32 pm

A few months ago, I bought a neti pot on sale at the grocery store. I've been using it from time to time, and it helps. But I can understand if someone is rather reluctant to run saline up their nose!

In other news, my youngest sister informed me that my oldest niece, daughter of my younger sister, got married last year at a drive-through chapel in Vegas. No word yet on how soon before I become a great-aunt, though. But when I do find out, I'll let you all know.

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:47 am

Thought I'd make myself known instead of lurking. :roll: Not heard from Seema in awhile-hope all is okay.

I will be seeing my orthopedic doctor on Tuesday and will request to get things started to have hip replacement surgery ASAP. At last visit in January, the doctor said it was up to me to chose when it's time, because the hip joint in now bone on bone. I tried to put it off, but it's now interfering with my quality of life. :cry: It hurts to walk. (I don't even want to go on photo safaris) I had the right hip replaced ten years ago. It's now time for the left hip.
Please pray that everything works out.
Barb Culler

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:19 am

violin4jesus wrote:Hope y'all are well.

I'm not, I'm a pain.. I mean I'm in pain. Okay I know I am not fooling anyone, I am a pain. I could help from it, but why? :mrgreen:

Another big load by myself, and I am feeling every case of it. Off for a shower.

Barb? if it is bone on bone, you should go ahead with it. As for Seema, it is still summer she is probably out playing and having fun while she can. :lol:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:03 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMY! HOPE YOU HAVE A HAPPY DAY!!!!Image
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Postby Shann » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:10 pm

BARB, GLAD TO SEE YOU ON AND NOT LURKING. IT ALWAYS MAKES ME HAPPY TO SEE YOU!! I'M SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR HIP. FORTUNATELY FOR YOU, YOU'RE NOT A STUBBORN OLD MUTT WHO REFUSES TO SEE THE DOCTOR! :tongue

Leah, sorry to hear things have been so hectic, but glad to see you pop in.

Chrissy, I'll be keeping you in my prayers too. I'm surprised you can get allergies in Australia. I thought it was Paradise. :wink: It's my hubby's number one destination to see, but mine is Alaska. Hmm I wonder if we could compromise and go to the south pole so I could at least see some penguins.

I've been letting Seema beat me at Word and we chat some. I think the zoo is still on break, but will be going back soon.

Lyd uses that pot thingie too (the kind DeeJay mentioned not the kind you smoke or drink tea from. She says it really works well. Only two more days until she's The Netherlands/Ireland-bound. I'm gonna miss her.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:57 am

Hi Everyone! Thanks for the birthday wishes, Shann. Starting right after my last birthday, this year I've been sicker than I ever have been for that long of a period, I think, and I just keep getting less functional. So it's been hard in a lot of ways. In the past no matter how sick I was I still had my writing (except for short periods during a bad flare and during my busiest college years). But this year the fatigue and brain fog have been bad enough I've hardly been able to write anything all year. Losing that has been the hardest thing emotionally for me. I've been slightly better the last month and a half and have been able to add a small amount of editing back in (it takes less creative energy) and haven't lost hope that consistent writing will be possible again at some point.

So my relationship with Andy has been even more of a blessing than it would have been. I guess God always knows the right timing for things. It was nice to have one thing going right and going well this year, and awesome to have his support. Since he has similar health issues, he's able to give true understanding and empathy.

I had a great birthday today. I hung out with Andy this afternoon, looking at my FaceBook birthday messages and then playing a game. we had a yummy chicken and asparagus dinner and gluten-free double-chocolate brownies. (I didn't get my wish because it took me three tries to blow out one of the candles even though it wasn't a trick candle!)

Then after dinner Andy told me my sister wanted to hang out with us on video chat to tell me happy birthday. So I got online to find a whole ton of my friends there! It was a great surprise and they pulled it off great. Only nine people can fit on Google+, so not everyone could come, but most of my closest friends were able to make it for at least a few minutes, even my friend who just moved to the Philippines.

You probably remember me talking about that week she moved being extra-hard because my friend Jess had just died. Then another best friend went out of town for two weeks and didn't have much cell phone or email connections. So three of my best friends were gone. (So glad I could still text Shann a lot!) But today both of those two were at the online party, and Jess' husband sent me a nice birthday note talking about what Jess used to say about birthdays and such. So I sort of had contact with all three of them. It was special. And everyone got to see Andy and I together and meet him a little. :D

My fever is spiking higher than it has in quite a while after all that, but I don't feel as horrible as I usually do when it's high, and it was worth it.

Becky, I remember hearing about that bridge accident, maybe. There was one in upper Washington where a truck ran into the supports of a bridge and the whole thing fell in. :shock: It was a miracle no one was hurt. But that was the only bridge to one area, so for a while there were people stuck away from or at home.

Has your anxiety gotten better as you've been care-taking for your grandpa? How is that going? Is the headache medicine helping any?

Barb and Jay, awesome to see you both back! I've miss you.

Shann, I love that you found a sparrow card. Thanks! You've been an awesome support to me. Glad you're out of the hospital now and I'll be praying for you as your daughter is leaving. I'm bummed we were both too sick to meet up, but we'll make it happen again sometime.

Chrissy and Pup, are either of you feeling better? Pup, I can identify with not being able to use one arm. Andy and I went kayaking one day and the next day I felt like I needed a sling because if I moved my left arm much I would about scream. Arnica gel helped.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:29 am

Happy Birthday PG!

Sounds like you have a winner there with Andy. ;)

I've been resting today and added some photos to my new Riverside Peace blog. I think I'm begining to improve. No headaches today. Praise God.

Hope all is well with Pup now.

RiversidePeace

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:00 am

Happy belated bday Amy!!

everything is going good with grandpa. The headaches seem to only come later in the day but i'm not getting them quite as often.

We talked my grandmother on the phone on Friday- she sounds tired but happy.
Dum Spiro Spero

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:43 am

I am still amoung the living, so... no, I am not doing much better. It is a life thing, I just have to deal with it. :roll:

Good thing I gave you your B-day blessing early, I forgot what day it was. :heehee

As for Shann-can from Banana Land..

FORTUNATELY FOR YOU, YOU'RE NOT A STUBBORN OLD MUTT WHO REFUSES TO SEE THE DOCTOR!

I will have you know I go to THE DOCTOR every day, I just wont go see a doctor, cause I think they are all quacks, and I would rather take it to THE DOCTOR that knows me body best. :tongue

JesusPuppy Profile

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:34 pm

We set up a zipline yesterday! I've always wanted one so it's pretty awesome that we can have one now. Of course the kids had a blast. My husband hasn't built a platform to jump off of yet, and the ladder is a bit dangerous, so it's off limits until he gets home.

Amy, I'm so glad that you got to connect with so many of your friends on your birthday! I think it's so wonderful that God has brought Andy into your life and that he can understand and empathize with your health problems. I'm praying that you will soon be feeling better and that that fever will go away.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby jaybird » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:25 pm

I pray for those who hurt and not feeling well.
Congrats, Shann on your win!
My nurse took me for a walk to our small airport. I never been down that road and I've lived here for 20 years, lol. My nurse found a hole on the side of the road. We think it was a badger hole; no one home or maybe it was 8 feet down in its den.
We have an escaped wallaroo loose around town. It hippity-hopped down the road. I hope it is found before cold weather.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:36 am

Wallaroo..? Is that anything like a Jackalope? :heehee

Well.. an interesting night for me. Co-worker is back from his vacation.. counting cases I had more than 3/5th the load on my end, got that done, 23 case of back stock, half a load of firewood bundles work to the front, back room straightened, and then started face the store by... 4:00AM. I had just started facing the other half of the store as my fellow worker was finishing his last cases and the manager showed up, at 6:30. I told him...

"I must not have shut down from co-worker on vacation mode."

He just laughed and walked off. :lol:

I am thinking I need to find me a new job, something easy, like Night Security at a public library. :roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby jaybird » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:08 pm

What's a jackolope? Part jack-o-latern & cantaloupe? :lol:
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:24 pm

I'm home now. The flight went pretty well but I didn't sleep well and not feeling great today, but wasn't really expecting to, either. It was hard to leave Andy, but good to see my family.

My layover was in Minneapolis and the terminal shocked me. The waiting area was full of little individual tables that each had an iPad! You could sit there waiting for the plane and play online or games on the free iPad, and even order food from it. Crazy amazing. I wonder why they invested that much money in something like that? One of the restaurant workers said it was the only terminal like it anywhere.

But then on the airplane itself, it was the opposite of good technology. The flight was at night and half of all the reading lights were broken. No one could read the whole three hour trip. :| I'm thankful I had read my book the first leg so my laptop battery lasted most of the second leg.

Rachel, I have never been on a zip line but it sounds so fun! It's on my bucket list for sure.

Pup, night watchman sounds like it would be a good job. You're a night owl anyway, right?

Jay, is a wallaroo a mix between a wallaby and kangaroo?

Becky, is your grandma still gone?
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:33 am

Hey all this week has been hectic, but I've been thinking and praying for ya all!

Becky glad things are working out with your Gpa, but then I knew you would do an amazing job. I know money is an issue, but have you ever tried acupuncture treatments? I know some doctors will do it for a really small amount of money. I think a sleep study might give both you and Pup some relief, but think I'd ever better luck talking to dog! (a fluffy white one, not a crusty grumpy one! :tongue )

Rachel, can I come and play on zipline? It sounds awesome!

So I have had a tough week. When I was in the hospital 2 weeks ago, Lyd sideswiped a semi. An inch either way and she never would have made it. I didn't want her to go, had a funny feeling, but Chris told me I am too protective. Then I found out Q was going to Atlanta to visit friend and I tried to forbid (or is it I tried to forbade) him from going. He just laughed in my face. He took his new 7 week old kitten named Tonks with him. Ahead a semi slammed on brakes Q tried to stop but hydroplaned and decided to put car in ditch rather than rear end a semi. Well the semi behind him t-boned him. Man God has really watched over the kids and me this week. Lyd left until DEC> First she and her grandparents are going to Holland so she can see her roots and so Hans wanted to take his parents ashes back to their homeland so they took Lyd and she is meeting relatives and getting to see parts of Holland. Then in Sept they will drop her off at Limerick University. I'm proud of her, but still worry. So far...all is well.

I entered the exhale challenge and actually finished it by Friday or Saturday. Usually I don't start until hours or even minutes before deadline. It's second on the list. I don't think that has ever happened. Especially the Masters tend to wait til last minute. I'll be anxious to see how it does.

If I can, I'll post a pic of Q's car.

Here's a pic of Lyd in Amsterdam standing in front of a store that we could never afford!

Here is pic of M and Lyd

Shann

Shann's Profile

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler