To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby JesusPuppy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:02 am

Praying you all get feeling better soon. Then too.. and I believe I have said this before.. if you were to be all well, I wouldn't need to pray for you.. what would I do with all that extra time? :roll:

Sparrow Bird wrote:I'll download a picture or two later.

OOOoo sunset on a creak, PLEASE?????? :mrgreen:

I love sunsets.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:32 am

JesusPuppy wrote:OOOoo sunset on a creak, PLEASE?????? :mrgreen:

For a second there I thought you said crack. Why would you want to see a sunset on a crack?

Then I realized you said creak... I think you mean crick. :P
KIDDING!

Actually that's how some say it here but not all. I'm telling you, the eastern shore of Maryland where I live is like another world compared to the west side, which is where Amy is.

...I should go see if I can find a sunset photo over the river now.
Dum Spiro Spero

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:50 am

Just as I said that I went to facebook and found this picture on there, it was taken at Bay Ridge, MD which is near Annapolis and if you look hard you can see the Bay Bridge in the background.

Dum Spiro Spero

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:56 pm

NOW, a river I would understand.

Pity I don't have photobucket anymore.

:)

RiversidePeace

That will have to do. :lol:

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:59 pm

That's actually the bay but it is very pretty, i love that picture. :)
Dum Spiro Spero

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:17 am

I've been really wanting a sunset on the creek picture too, but the sun doesn't set over the creek, so yeah... We're gonna try to go out on the kayaks soon, so hopefully can get some pics of that. It's been years since I've been in a boat and I have particularly weak shoulders and arms, so we'll see how it goes, but should be fun to try.

Speaking of creeks, criks, rivers, bays, etc. What's your definition of a creek (or crik)? In my area in the West we call a creek something small enough to jump over that usually runs reasonably fast considering how small it is. Here at Andy's this water thing is very slow moving and very wide, but they call it a creek. Andy says he thinks the actual definition depends on how far it is between the ocean and original starting point. I guess that kinda makes sense.
Attachments
Date night smaller.jpg
Date night smaller.jpg (72.47 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:42 am

Sparrow wrote:I'
Speaking of creeks, criks, rivers, bays, etc. What's your definition of a creek (or crik)? In my area in the West we call a creek something small enough to jump over that usually runs reasonably fast considering how small it is. Here at Andy's this water thing is very slow moving and very wide, but they call it a creek. Andy says he thinks the actual definition depends on how far it is between the ocean and original starting point. I guess that kinda makes sense.

I call a body of flowing water a creek if it is small enough to jump over, shallow enough to wade across...probably a few metres wide (yards). Our river is wide and deep but slow moving maybe 150 metres wide in some places, more up river. I think you saw our river, Amy. (I mean the river we live near) A river can also be rushing and gushing quickly and perhaps rapids over rocks.

RiversidePeace

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:08 am

Well, for me personally if the body of water is not a pool but is big enough to swim in, drown in, jet ski in, ski in, boat/kayak/canoe in, then I call it a River. A creek I consider a lot smaller that you can probably only swim in, but what's funny is when people call it a crick I think of a ditch on the side of the road. lol
Dum Spiro Spero

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Rebecky wrote: but what's funny is when people call it a crick I think of a ditch on the side of the road. lol

:rolling Love it.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:39 pm

A ditch is a drain line for water run off. As Kiddo pointed out, (beautiful picture by the way) mainly on road sides and property edges.

A creek has water year round, up to twelve feet across but not very deep over all, maybe a foot, but can have pools big enough for swimming.

Rivers can be from five feet wide (White River in southern Mo.) to a mile across, like the Amazon, and anywhere above three feet deep.

Bays, estuarys, or deltas are mainly when rivers widen out before joining the ocean.

Ditches run to creeks, creeks run to rivers, and rivers into lakes or the ocean. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:48 pm

My grandparents live on the river, we have a lot of photos of it but can't seem to find a good one.

Growing up, one of my cousins always called it the "lake" and it would aggravate me... lol
Dum Spiro Spero

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:55 pm

My idea of a creek is very vague: small, meandering, happy, gurgling (sounds like a baby! :) )
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:34 am

:) :)

I just emailed off the final draft and book cover for my mum's poetry book for publishing.

:superhappy It's finally completed. My Dad is extremely happy and can't wait to receive the first copy.

Okay...now where was I up to with my next book? Ah yes; chapter 8.

Later.....

RiversidePeace

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Can the headache(s) go away now? Please? :cry:
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:22 am

Rebecky wrote:Just as I said that I went to facebook and found this picture on there, it was taken at Bay Ridge, MD which is near Annapolis and if you look hard you can see the Bay Bridge in the background.

.if I came to see you, would I have to go over it? I have nightmares about bridges.

I miss ya all so much. I don't think I'll be healthy enough to meet up with you and Amy. I'm still in hospital. The sores are getting better. I even wrote a challenge entry this morning and finished with like 4 hours before deadline.

Oh speaking of Challenge. Congratulations Rachel for your first place win in level two and 15 overall and Congratulations for Allison oil n placing in the top 26 (I think ) overall. Calls for a Shann Happy Dance!! But I have to be careful of IV in foot.
should be going home tomorrow or on Q's birthday. which is Saturday. Now I need to get some sleep love ya all!! ♡♥♡♥(⊙o⊙)
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler