To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby RiversidePeace » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:13 am

BeachGrandma wrote:[b][color=#0080BF]River, it's so good to see you on board again! :welcome When I first saw your picture, I said to myself, "Whoa! Hollywood has sent someone to our porch?" You look FABULOUS! And congrats on selling so many of your books! :clap I sold two copies of my book "Prisms Of The Heart." Both to my mother and she gave one away! :lol: You're so good meeting the public and that's how books get sold. I'm too shy to appear in bookstores and I'd probably tell everyone who inquired that my book isn't very good and they should spend their money on something worthwhile! I shoot myself in the foot all the time that way. :rolling Is there a reason you're incognito and would you prefer that we not use your real name? Sometime (if you want to), fill us in on what you've been doing during your sabbatical or hiatus or vacation or interval or whatever you called it. Weren't you in seminary or something similar?

Hubby and I won a photo shoot when we bought our home near the river. I had a one hour full makeup and hair styled as part of the package. We had to chose three outfits for photos on our own and together. The shoot took almost 2 hours and then took another hour selecting which photos we liked best. We had a lot of fun.

I have also been caring for my Dad since Mum died in 2011. He is slowing down lately after he had a blood clot between his heart and lung. Caring for Dad takes up much of my day. I also set up an activity group once a month for the disabled and their care-ers, seniors and the lonely. It takes a week to recover from the event each month before I begin plans for the next. We have a 'Trivia for the fun of it' day a few months back. The only rule was to have fun but we did introduce a new rule as the morning progressed. The noise was unbearable and the hard at hearing just could hear anything. LOL! Anyway the 22 people who turned up all took home at east on donated prize worth between $30 & $50 and lots of smaller prizes. The community give well to the group. Last month we had a Christmas in July morning tea and 3 wiremen came bearing gifts. August program will be easier with darts, carpet bowls and table games. In September, Companion Dogs Australia will be there with volunteers to put the pup's and dogs through their paces. Every month we have a guest speaker who gives their testimony and shares a verse from the Bible. Yes, I get worn out but I do love to see smiles on faces that are often filled with pain. We have 44 on our books now and 5% are in wheelchairs or use walkers. We have a few with incurable diseases too. I visit most of them at least once a month between our monthly events.

As for the sabbatical, that's was DeeJays term/word and it probably fits the situation. I finished my theology studies late last year with an associate degree concentrating on pastoral care and counselling subjects then devoted all my spare time to visiting the housebound, the lonely and the housebound. I also established an activity group that meets once a month for these people. It's got to the point where I will be applying for a government grant in the next month or so to purchase items like laptops for our 'introduction to computer classes' and our carpet bowlers. Some of the bowlers use walkers to lean on and we use a variety of plastic balls and balls used in lawn bowls. This is probably the biggest project besides somehow purchasing a disabled friendly bus to collect those without transport.

My books have to sell for themselves these days, I'm afraid but Skoobiebooks.com have been great supporters. I finished my mum's poetry book and it's off being edited for printing in October. Dad wants to see them in print before he goes to be with the Lord.

And, for my next book? Well it's slow but sure to be published when I finish it.

Hubby has semi retired after 43 years in the Royal Australian Air Force but continues in the role as a reservist. I think he would go looney if he quit and retired 100% Norm also runs 2 Bible Study groups and helps me now with the activity group.

That's about it for now. We're going out for our evening meal and hubby is standing beside me with the car keys.

No time to edit the post. Sorry

Riverside Peace
Last edited by RiversidePeace on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Edy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:42 pm

What a blessing, Chrissy, to read how available you are for the Lord's use in meeting so many needs. Thanks be to God! You must sleep like a log at night; I'd be too exhausted to get out of bed in the morning, keeping pace with you!

Now, for all you adventurous folk, take a look at this and tell me if you think ANYBODY, today, would do this for a living: :lol:

Mid-air repair...by a woman 1924

Hard to believe that stunts such as these used to be accomplished frequently. Does anyone recall the air-to-air refueling of one biplane to another using a long hose? Those people had to be either fearless or just plain crazy!

This woman has more guts than a sausage factory. Take a look at this film. Fabulous footage, although grainy due to time and bad equipment in those days compared to today, but what
nerve this gal had.

Gladys Ingles was a member of a barnstorming troupe called the 13 Black Cats in the 1920's.
Ingles was a wing walker; in this film, she shows her fearlessness in classic barnstorming
fashion to save an airplane that has lost one of its main landing gear wheels.

Ingles is shown with a replacement wheel being strapped to her back and then off she
goes as "Up She Goes," a duet from the era, provides the soundtrack. In the film, Ingles
transfers herself from the rescue plane to the one missing the main landing gear tire.

She then expertly works herself down to the undercarriage only a few feet from a
spinning propeller. It's certainly a feat many mechanics wouldn't even try on the ground with the
engine running.

She died at age 82. Click on the link below.......

http://www.flixxy.com/mid-air-airplane-repair.htm

Just READING the above account makes my hands and feet break out in a sweat. I can hardly bear to watch the video. My heart would literally pound itself to death if I were forced to try this job. Uff da! :shock:
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Allison

Postby Allison » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:08 pm

So... Do none of you want to see videos and pictures from the children's musical at my church?
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Allison wrote:So... Do none of you want to see videos and pictures from the children's musical at my church?

I thought I responded to this. Send a link to the email address you have for me or in a private message. Thanks.

Riverside Peace

Allison

Postby Allison » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:32 pm

RiversidePeace wrote:
Allison wrote:So... Do none of you want to see videos and pictures from the children's musical at my church?

I thought I responded to this. Send a link to the email address you have for me or in a private message. Thanks.

Riverside Peace

If so, I missed it. Sorry! :) Will do.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:37 pm

I've been wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too busy doing a "shadow" edit of a novel--It has consumed my time and attention. I skimmed posts quickly to make sure all are okay--had to stop and read Edy's delightful punsl Hope you all have a good week with God's protection.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:18 am

Wouldn't you think if they could put a man on the moon, they could find a way to effectively treat arthritis? I've been an absolute basket case since the middle of last week and yesterday I wondered how much longer this could go on unabated. Let's just say I finally got some relief around 10 pm last night for which I praise God. There are tons of things on the market to provide pain relief but so far I haven't found one that helps all that much. :helpwobble :cry2

Chrissy, my you have been busy and with some of the most interesting projects. You remind me of my daughter-in-law, Susan, who bought a black lab dog, went through months of training, and now regularly visits hospitals and nursing in the Raleigh-Durham, NC area with her wonderful dog in tow. She has so many stories to tell about how much this dog blesses the patients. Many patients have had dogs as pets all their lives and this is the one thing they most hated to give up. I'm so glad nursing facilities are relaxing rules so that animals can be brought in to love the patients and in turn be loved by them. :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :clap

So many your age are in the "sandwich" generation with elderly parents to care for, while still having interests in their children's lives. I'm glad your father is still alive and you'll never regret one day you spent making his life more comfortable.

Edy, you've been posting the best stuff lately! I envy the creativity of people who can put together these "lists" for all our enjoyment. BTW, did your brother ever get the apartment he needed and which you asked us to pray about not too long ago? :?: :?:

Verna, how you do all you do leaves me breathless. I'm so glad you have these editing jobs, though, because it keeps your mind alert, a wonderful way to ward off some of the problems seniors begin to have later in life. But since you're still 49, you have a long way to go. :D

Allison, I would have offered to watch the video but my time at the computer is so limited I can't even get through my mail. Between a sorely-twisted back and arthritic hands and a left eye that won't cooperate, I'm lucky to get on the computer at all, I guess. But I know the video was good.

Don,I don't worry about you as long as your humor keeps surfacing. :superhappy I hope you're getting out and doing lots of things for fun. You deserve every good day you can get.

To everyone else here, I hope you've had a good weekend and face some great things in the coming few days.

Hugs. :grouphug3 :grouphug :grouphug2
(singing):
"Cover me, Lord, with Your presence,
Cover me, Lord, with Your righteousness,
Cover me, Lord, with Your holiness,
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:26 am

BeachGrandma wrote:

Don,I don't worry about you as long as your humor keeps surfacing. :superhappy I hope you're getting out and doing lots of things for fun. You deserve every good day you can get.

Well, let's see here...

I was invited out to dinner twice last week. TWICE!!! The invitations were accepted, of course. Yeah, it was fun eating two huge multi-course meals in one week. The only problem is if I do that very often I'll soon weigh 3,000 pounds. That wouldn't be funny at all. :shock:

I love the new church I have attended for the past 5 months. Their Sunday morning traditional service blesses my socks off. I have been keeping my ears open and eyes peeled for an opportunity to bless others there. I believe God recently opened a door for me to do that.

On August 15th I am scheduled to be the featured speaker at their regular "Thursday Gathering" of 50+ year old men and women. I will be sharing "My Woodcarving Story" with related devotional thoughts scattered throughout my 30-40 minute presentation.

My spare time has been spent preparing for that event.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:37 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Wouldn't you think if they could put a man on the moon, they could find a way to effectively treat arthritis? I've been an absolute basket case since the middle of last week and yesterday I wondered how much longer this could go on unabated. Let's just say I finally got some relief around 10 pm last night for which I praise God. There are tons of things on the market to provide pain relief but so far I haven't found one that helps all that much. :helpwobble :cry2

Mariane, hyaluronic acid (HA) has become one of my must-have supplements. My ankles and knees were giving me enough trouble that I worried about doing stairs, afraid one or another joint would unexpectedly give out on me. Now I run the stairs without a second thought. Here's info from our supplier, Puritan's Pride:

A natural component of joints and connective tissue

Helps lubricate joints**

Cushions joints for comfortable movement**

Hyaluronic Acid is a polysaccharide found in almost all adult connective tissue, including joints, ligaments, tendons and skin.** Just one Hyaluronic Acid capsule a day can help maintain the fluid between your joints, providing the cushioning and lubrication necessary for easy movement.** Since the joint fluid (synovial fluid) between your joints is mainly made up of Hyaluronic Acid molecules, taking Hyaluronic Acid in supplement form can contribute to joint lubrication, serving as a supportive structure in the extracellular space throughout the body.**

(read more about it at:
http://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-b ... scid=26529 )

Somewhere I read that the popular glucosamine-chondroitin can take weeks to months to show benefit, while HA makes a noticeable difference in DAYS. I tried both, and wasn't impressed with the g-c supplements. Doctors will inject joints with HA, but at considerable cost - if someone can hold out for a few days, s/he can save a lot of $$$.

As a nurse, I always want to get to the source of the problem; I hate the idea of just treating symptoms, which is like putting a Band-Aid on an abscess, to me. I sure hope you can find relief in restoring the joint lubrication you need, dear BeachGrandma!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:02 pm

:thankssign :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugkiss :hugkiss :hugkiss :hugkiss :hugkiss :handshake :handshake :handshake :handshake :handshake Thank you, dear Edy!! I'm going to order it right now! Bless you, my sweet friend.
(singing):
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm praying you find HA as helpful for you as I've found it for me, Sweet Gal!
As a nurse, I should recommend that you first check with your doctor. But, I usually tell myself that I know more about my own body than the doctor does. :lol:

Check Wikipedia, too, as there are some considerations, like it "may" be negatively associated with prostate cancer, etc. But, I'm inclined to think association doesn't necessarily mean cause or effect.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:18 pm

I can probably rule out prostate cancer, dontcha think?? :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling
(singing):
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:10 pm

No problem there, for sure! :thumbs
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:08 am

Now working on my second book of poetry, hopefully to come out in early fall. I've been omitting and adding and rearranging. Fun to work on my own stuff!

Mariane, I'm glad you got just a little relief. Let me know if Edy's suggested treatment works for you. (Thanks, Nurse Edy!) If so, I'll be right behind you in line. I have a physical this month and will ask my doctor about it. Arthritis has been "gaining" on me in the past year.

Don, I'm thankful for the doors that are opening for you and that people are being gracious to you.

Good morning to all from the pouring down rain/sunny South!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:22 am

Verna, that's wonderful about your book! Have you selected a title yet? Are there things you plan to do differently this time around as far as content, layout, possible graphics, etc.? It will be a wonderful book to give as a Christmas present, so your timing is perfect for that. I'm so proud of you, my dear friend!

Don, bless those who invite you out or reach out to you in other ways! When the Bible talks about being good to the widows, we need to remind ourselves that widowers need as much love and attention in widows do; in fact, more in many instances.

Don, someone sent me a craft idea for my grandsons which I'd like to see them do. It involves melting colored plastic beads in a pie pan in the oven for a few minutes, with the result being a colorful sun catcher or even as small coasters for drinks, etc. Two questions, though, the first of which you likely don't know but perhaps someone else does: where can I purchase a big supply of colored, plastic beads, and second, is there any health risk in melting plastic like this and possibly inhaling something I wouldn't want the boys to inhale.

Omigoodness, a friend just sent me this link. I laughed until I almost choked to death. Be sure you're sitting down when you listen. Hysterical! http://zanylol.com/accident.html

:superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling
(singing):
Lord Jesus, cover me."

[b]
Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler