To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 pm

This morning I received that phone call that I've been dreading for many years. My oldest brother, Dick, died sometime during his regular dialysis treatment two weeks ago. His son who called me said he couldn't find my phone number or my sister's until today or he would have called sooner.

It's my understanding that there was no funeral. I think many of you may remember my asking for prayer for Dick who was firm in his atheism. He had such a hard time being around Christians, so for most of his life he was not close to my parents nor his siblings.

Still, remembering the thief on the cross who called on Jesus just before dying, I hold onto that hope that my brother reached out for God's forgiveness and love in the minutes or even seconds before his death.

My sister and I are the only ones left now in our family. This is a day of grieving for us both. Thank you for your prayers.
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Mariane, I'm so sorry to hear of your sad news. May the Lord of comfort reach out to hold you and your family in His care during this time, and always.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Just for you, today, dear sister Mariane.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Marianne,

My sincere condolences on your loss. To paraphrase Philippians 4:8,

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—remember your brother this way.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 pm

I had to take a short drive away from my city this noon to take care of some business. The road was a four lane highway with a 55 mph speed limit. It was late in the noon hour, and the traffic was quite heavy and moving fast. Everyone was probably in a hurry to quickly return to work.

Since I was also speeding (about 60 mph), I stayed in the left lane which is normally used for faster traffic. Soon cars began closing in behind me. I thought, "What's up with that? I'm already going 5 mph over the limit. Get off my tail."

As soon as enough space opened up in the right lane, cars would zip around me. Not only that, but most drivers gave me a nasty look as if to say, "Get off the road, you old gray-haired fossil!"

Also, some of the drivers greeted me with wave-like hand motion as if they were happy to see me. That seemed strange because I didn't even know any of them.

Two of them glared at me, and mouthed a couple of words as they roared past. Unknown to those impatient speeders, I became quite good at lip reading about 60 years ago after serious illness caused extensive deafness.

Well, I know exactly what they were saying, and, believe me, it was not good at all. Me thinks my state needs to change its slogan from "Minnesota Nice" to "Minnesota Not-So-Nice."

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Allison

Postby Allison » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:41 pm

The children's musical at my church is Friday and Saturday! We had an extra rehearsal with the main drama tonight (Wednesday), Thursday evening is dress rehearsal. Friday we have a performance in the morning for "Summer Fun Days (My church's version of VBS where we do it a different day of the week each week for five weeks) and then another one in the evening at 7PM for everyone, and on Saturday we have another performance at 4PM.

Pray that everything would come together. (It always does, but then are those freakout moments when it looks like it's going to be a disaster. :) ) I rewrote/added to the last scene to actually include the gospel, because in the original, they only say something like "God gave us the opportunity to really become His children." then another character asks what that means, and they said "Let's talk about this." But then they go off during a song, and.... don't actually talk about it! . :lol: So I'd love prayers that those in the audience who aren't Christians would listen to and understand the gospel message we've added in. And pray for us as leaders too! It always gets a bit crazy at the end. It's going to be a fun yet exhausting rest of the week for me and everyone involved!
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Allison

Postby Allison » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Please pray!

The director of the children's musical at my church fell off the stage steps during dress rehearsal tonight. She was coherent and talking and conscious the whole time, but cut her head pretty badly in two places. She was taken to the ER via car. It happened right at the end as she was giving final instructions, so it happened in front of all the kids. Performances are tomorrow (2) and Saturday.

Allison

Postby Allison » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:46 am

Update -- the director has a badly sprained ankle, a small cut, and a contusion on her arm. No concussion or anything serious with her head. It could have been much worse, I think. Praise the Lord!

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:30 am

My dear Mariane, I grieve with you and hope your brother prayed for forgiveness before he died.
Praying especially for you and your sister.

Damon, That verse came to mind this morning when I had an unpleasant thought I was dwelling on.

Edy, I love your poster.

Don, The world is in a bigger rush than we are. We seldom drive anywhere at night, but last night we went at 11:15 to pick up our daughter's family at the airport. My husband said, "Where are all these people out on the roads going in the middle of the night."
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:56 am

Allison wrote:Update -- the director has a badly sprained ankle, a small cut, and a contusion on her arm. No concussion or anything serious with her head. It could have been much worse, I think. Praise the Lord!

Thanking the Lord for your praise update, Allison. I'm reminded of a quote from John Wesley, I think it was, when he broke his leg, he thanked the Lord it wasn't his head. We just don't realize this side of Paradise what the Lord has spared us having to endure.

Hi, Verna! It's a blessing to be able to drive to see family, etc. Just this morning I was pondering whether I should find a three-wheeler bike with a rack between the back wheels to haul groceries should the day come when 1. Howard can no longer drive (and I never had a license - I roll cars!) or 2. the price of gas is out of reach. Besides, the exercise would be free!

Here's a link for pondering. Somebody posted it on facebook and I had to share:

http://beliefsoftheheart.com/2013/07/23 ... ur-kids-2/

...The wonder of the gospel is not the love of the beautiful; it’s when Beauty kisses the Beast.

The Beast isn’t loved because he has changed; the Beast is changed when he is loved. Joy doesn’t come when he’s loved for his beauty; joy overwhelms him when he is loved in his hideousness.

If the Beast were loved for his beauty, it would be an unbearable burden. Any day he might be scarred, and soon he will certainly be a wrinkled old man.

So why do we burden our children with the unbearable load of “being good little boys and girls like the heroes in the Bible”? We wouldn’t load a pack mule with the burdens we place on our children.

There’s gotta be a better way

Let’s teach the wonder of the gospel. Let’s show our kids that God loves us … simply because he loves us. In our beastliness. That he loves us before we are good....
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:51 pm

I don't drive--long story-- but I have observed that while driving with others, there will always be self-centered people out there. Whenever one of these people does something stupid, and in a hurry, I always think they're in an awful big hurry for their funeral. And as to the late night traffic, I agree: I can remember when if you were driving after 10 p.m., you were usually the only car on the road. How times have changed.

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:46 am

BeachGrandma wrote:This morning I received that phone call that I've been dreading for many years. My oldest brother, Dick, died sometime during his regular dialysis treatment two weeks ago. His son who called me said he couldn't find my phone number or my sister's until today or he would have called sooner.

My sister and I are the only ones left now in our family. This is a day of grieving for us both. Thank you for your prayers.

Sending hugs and praying for you and your sister.

Riverside Peace

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:23 pm

I spy a new Porch neighbor! Welcome aboard, RiversidePeace! I see by your "pencil" that you are a brave heart that is exploring your new surroundings. That's impressive, because I know how frustrated I was, at first, trying to figure out what all the symbols meant and what I needed to do to get my foot in the door. :P

"Set a spell" on the porch swing, or put up your feet on the chaise lounger. Somebody will be along with some tea and goodies before long, and we'll all get acquainted. :welcome
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

RiversidePeace
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby RiversidePeace » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Take a closer look, dear friend. I'm not as new as you think but I am older and wiser. I have learned something while on sabbatical and that is I cannot forget those who mean more to me than I thought AND that they might know.

Riverside Peace

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Welcome Riverside Peace,
Did I see you hail from the UK? You are indeed welcome on the porch. We are a group of caring, praying, friendly people--surely not all--not even most from the South. We like a bit of humor, and some of us are very interested in writing. We have a dog named Old Blue, and we sometimes leave calorie-less treats on the porch table.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler