To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:54 pm

I saw the picture of him on Facebook and left you a message. How proud you must be !

If anyone can explain this in terms I can understand, please do:
:book2 :book2 :book2 :eyes :eyes :eyes :orangeyes :orangeyes :orangeyes :orangeyes :orangeyes :sofa :sofa :sofa

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=41 ... =2&theater
Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Edy wrote:
I do have a prayer request, too:

Please pray for this wonderful Scout, my grand nephew Noah. He's at the Boy Scout Jamboree out east, it is very hot weather, and today (3:45 our MN time) he is scheduled to take the grueling Navy Seal test! Thanks muchly!

Looks like your nephew Noah has earned himself a bunch of merit badges. Way to go, Noah!

When I was in Boy Scouts, I never heard of any Jamboree - not out east or anywhere else. I sure didn't know they had a Navy Seal test, either. I wonder what that could be? Oh well, times have changed in more than half a century.

Also, we never had those over-the-shoulder thingys for attaching merit badges. But then, that's probably because no one in our troupe ever earned a merit badge...and probably didn't want to.

The closest thing we ever did that might have been called a jamboree was when we camped out for a week in pup tents beside the Platt River in Nebraska. With all the bugs and snakes crawling all over the place, we should have gotten a merit badge just for surviving the week. Oh, the toilets were holes in the ground that we dug as needed. That wasn't so good, either.

The muddy old, snapping turtle infested Platt River was a nasty place to swim, too. The current was strong enough to carry us all the way to New Orleans.

Like I said...times have changed.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:36 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:I saw the picture of him on Facebook and left you a message. How proud you must be !

Thanks, BeachGrandma, I did see you on Facebook! It certainly sounds like a grueling experience, but boys I know seem to relish it! Here's one link, and I'm looking to see if I can find the Navy Seal test info his mom sent. Sounds like military training on steroids!

http://news.yahoo.com/us-jamboree-requi ... 04236.html

Don, when I was still on active duty following my year in Vietnam, another nurse and I were attached to a Reserve hospital covering a Boy Scout camp (Jamboree?) up in Idaho, tent hospital and all. Just trying to sleep in (the nurses' quarters) a big hot tent (especially trying to sleep days in order to work the night shift) was definitely not my cup of tea. I know we had critters running over our legs when we were in bed. I had a better time on my own at another Boy Scout camp in Wisconsin. I had my own mini-quarters, complete with clinic/treatment room and a holding bay to keep sick troopers under observation. I had to cover that 24 hours a day by my lonesome, but didn't usually have a full house, or more than one night or two with inpatients. It's funny, until the subject comes up, I nearly forget all these side adventures from my yet-to-be-written memoirs!

BeachGrandma, here's a link to Snopes' explanation of that staircase, if you trust Snopes. :wink
: http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/escherian.asp
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Noah's mom must have told us about the Navy Seal test on the phone, because I cannot find the info in emails or text messages (I forgot to check her facebook page!). But, here's what I found online:

What Is the Summit SEAL Challenge Award?
The Summit is partnering with the U.S. Navy to offer Scouts and Venturers who attend the 2013 National Jamboree the opportunity to earn the Summit SEAL Challenge Award. To earn this elite award at the jamboree, you must successfully pass the Navy SEAL Physical Screening Test (PST) while at the Summit. You must also complete other requirements at or before the jamboree.
To help you prepare for the test, the U.S. Navy has prepared an eight-week training guide. To pass the test, you will have to do at least the minimum number of push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups within an allotted time, as well as a timed run and swim. You can take the test no more than twice during the jamboree.
Sign up for testing at The Summit, where you can also meet and talk to Navy SEALs.
The PST test is demanding and requires disciplined preparation. For additional information, email motivators@navsoc.socom.mil or call 888-USN-SEAL. You can learn more about the Navy SEAL program at www.sealswcc.com.

Noah's mom's description was more detailed and sounded lots more difficult!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Grand-nephew Noah's Boy Scout Jamboree Navy Seal test has been rescheduled (again) for tomorrow morning. Thanks for continued prayer for ideal weather conditions and good support!

Hoping for a cool and fresh morning. It's been so hot, boys were called back from mountain climbing, one day, because of heat lightning. Noah told his mom their sleeping bags are as wet, from sweat, as if just taken out of the washing machine. So he and his friends have heat rash on top of all the rest. They have to allow time to walk miles between activities, meals, etc. Poor little feet must be worn out! More later...
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:12 am

Praying for Noah, Edy. Such a handsome little boy!

Inchworms ate our knockout rose down to the ground in the spring. Now it's growing but has no blooms--just looks pitiful-- any advice here. Currently, I'm thinking: throw it away and get another one!

The humidity has me a "dragon." How about you all!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:02 am

Verna wrote:
Inchworms ate our knockout rose down to the ground in the spring. Now it's growing but has no blooms--just looks pitiful-- any advice here. Currently, I'm thinking: throw it away and get another one!

The humidity has me a "dragon." How about you all!

Are you that sure inchworms are the hungry critters eating your roses? I always thought they only ate the leaves...not the entire stem. Rabbits and other four-legged critters will chew stems to the ground.

If only the leaves are gone, they will re-grow this year or next. If the stems are gone, then, it might be best to replace the plant with healthy stems to insure blooms next year.

If inchworms...declare war on them with insecticide sprays. Talk with your nursery for input on the effective types.

If rabbits...catch the critters and find a good recipe. 8)

Of course, you could put up a clearly visible sign near your roses that says, "CAUTION: CONSUMPTION OF MY ROSE LEAVES/STEMS WILL BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH! Warned by "The Dragon" :cop

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:28 pm

I have a question for the Gardening Forum, here. :wink:

Since we had that tree-uprooting storm, last month, I've pondered more of our backyard jungle. But the shower of stuff from our tallest tree would have captured my attention regardless of a storm. I don't recall ever seeing this before. It's as if coarse sawdust has been falling for days to cover the ground. Today, I noticed tiny little green "peas" underfoot and still raining down. All told, I checked the clues and I think this is a variety of Linden/Basswood tree (I tasted one of the tiny peas, and recalled a walk with my brother, years ago, where he pointed out spring sprouting Basswood leaves taste just like salad greens).

My question: is this an unusual phenomenon perhaps due to our cold Spring season? I couldn't find any information that this might be a bumper crop that only comes along once in a blue moon, like the cicada does. If anyone has light to shed on this mystery, I am curious. Here's a link to see photos of the Linden/Basswood, which match what I see in my yard. It sounds like a valuable tree to have!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linden_tree

I did just think of something. Maybe the cold Spring killed off bugs that might have hindered such a prolific display in past years. It sounds like the "sawdust" flowers are medicinal. I guess we should have spread sheets on the ground to catch the falling stars! :P
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 pm

Well, Edy, some of my trees have been in ultra-high seed production mode this year too. My huge Black Willow (50'-60' tall) dumped a load of fuzzy seeds like never before. The seeds covered my deck and back yard. My Linden/Basswood is about ready to unload as well. My Red Maple and several Sugar Maples have tons of seeds about ready to drop too. My Ash trees haven't dropped any seeds yet, but will do that soon.

It is all happening about a month later than normal, and with higher seed production than normal. Our late spring certainly had much to do with the tree's growth patterns. Also, I've heard that when trees are highly stressed they will over-produce seeds to insure survival of the species.

Eat the seeds? For me, times would need to be pretty tough before I filled my dinner-time salad bowl with tree droppings. :shock:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:16 pm

:lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:33 pm

I have said here before that I make award-winning microwave meatloaf - the best meatloaf I've ever eaten anywhere. Well, I made it for dinner tonight, along with some skewered veggies (red peppers, mushrooms, new red potatoes) cooked on the grill. Yumm!

Tonight's meatloaf was better than ever before - if that's even possible! 8)

Some will say they have never ever eaten good meatloaf - that good meatloaf is simply not possible. :?

Others will say their meatloaf recipe is best, but it isn't. Mine is the best. If they insist, then, we must organize a meatloaf cook-off to settle the issue once for all. Let the tasters be the judge. :wink:

However, it is only fair to warn those who would choose to enter the meatloaf cook-off competition. You will lose! :|

Let the competition begin!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Don, I will never claim to have the best meatloaf recipe. The only claim I can make to good meatloaf is that I never liked meatloaf until I started making it myself and still will not eat most other meatloaf. I am sure my boys preferring my meatloaf to any other is a matter of what they grew up eating. Mine is a very sweet, moist meatloaf.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:34 am

OK troops, do I have your attention? I want to give you a taste of heaven. Something that will thrill you to your very toes! If you'll listen to this performance of "For God And God Alone," I guarantee you'll love it or I'll give you triple your money back. Can you imagine heaven with millions and millions and millions of choir members and orchestra members singing this so all the planets and whatever else is out there, begin to shake and explode with applause?

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_uIrSLsg-4

TURN UP YOUR VOLUME TO THE HIGHEST YOU CAN GET IT, PLEASE.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT !
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Here are the lyrics:

God and God alone
Created all these things we call our own
From the mighty to the small
The glory in them all
Is God's and God's alone

God and God alone
Reveals the truth of all we call unknown
All the best and worst of man
Can't change the master plan
It's God's and God's alone

God and God alone
Is fit to take the universe's throne
Let everything that lives
Reserve its truest praise
For God and God alone

God and God alone
Will be the joy of our eternal home
He will be our one desire
Our hearts will never tire
Of God and God alone

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Wonderful inspiration, Mariane.
Big smiles, Don, and I'd rather just have your meatloaf recipe. I have made one in the microwave
for years, but I don't think it will win awards.
Edy, I'm with Don--I'm not going to sample where the birds have been--I've watched them . . .
which leads me to this.

I've reported in recent days about the squirrels at the bottom of the big hill just beyond our patio.
Well . . . they have not been trying so hard to get on our two bird feeders out there because there has been so much birdseed on the ground below them. Mourning doves and some other big birds (we think of the mocking bird family) have been tipping the house feeder and causing all the seed to pour out on the ground. Not only has this delighted the squirrels, but also the doves, families of bunnies, and a stray chipmunk.--and worst of all, some possums at night that were not playing dead. Our bird feeder area has become a regular animal preserve in the heart of the city, just off a major street, and our yard, a small strip of grass between the patio and the hill, is giving way to bird seed.

So ---husband and I decided to get a feeder the big birds could not tip over. We went yesterday and found a cylindrical one that has roosting spots big enough for cardinals, but that will not accommodate the doves. It was interesting to watch the cardinals, as well as the bigger birds, circling the area yesterday. I saw one scratching his head and saying, "I know there was a house with a porch here just this morning."

For today the cardinals have decided they like this place and the wide assortment of smaller birds can share the new feeder or go to the old cage-feeder. I'm guessing that since there is less seed on the ground, the squirrels will try to get on the feeders again. The cycle continues!

And this story was for the birds!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Verna, don't forget about the poor, hungry little mice!

Bird seed on the ground will attract mice from the neighborhood, too. A ground-level feast for them within 50' of your house will almost guarantee they will find a way inside when the weather turns cold.

Also, any left-over seed on the ground will sprout and grow in your yard...and it won't be Kentucky Blue grass, either.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler