To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

I'm back

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

I'm back

Postby glorybee » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 pm

After having taken a longish break from FaithWriters, I'm happy to say that I'm back. I'd love to revive this forum--I had a lot of fun with it a few years ago, and it seems as if it was helpful to a few people. I'd love some ideas from you on possible topics for future lessons, or questions about writing that you'd like answered. Take a look through the things I've already covered for an idea of the sort of lessons that work in this forum. I'm fine with re-visiting a previous topic, and I'd like to focus each lesson on one particular skill or writing technique.

Expect the first lesson soon--perhaps within a week or so. The more ideas I get, the sooner a lesson is likely to appear.

So--ideas, please!

(In the meantime, if you're on Facebook, feel free to "like" the Superior Editing Services page, where I give writing tips several times a week).
Jan Ackerson

tomoral
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: I'm back

Postby tomoral » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:04 pm

:welcome back!
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mikeedwards » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:32 am

Yahoo - Jan is back helping us. If you are not familiar with her writing lessons you need to be. She is also an excellent editor if you have editing work. Thanks for coming back Jan. We really are excited. :superhappy

:thankssign

Mike & Bea
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:49 am

Great news Jan, I'll be joining your classes again. I learnt so much from you. I still struggle with telling and not showing though - must have a brain blockage to it. LOL
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:55 pm

I've been doing some cleaning up of this forum, and I see that a lot of my old topics have lost their initial posts and responses, probably in one of the forum crashes ages ago. So you can expect to see some of those topics revisited, in addition to the suggestions that I receive here.

I've noted the suggestions so far, and will probably post the first lesson on Monday. In the meantime, I welcome more suggestions or questions about writing.

j
Jan Ackerson

Colswann1

Postby Colswann1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:19 pm

I'm taking my problem seriously, this very morning I received Amy's book 'Bring Your Writing To Life' to help in the area of showing and not telling - so I trust it will help. :)
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:26 pm

Actually, Colin, you may be surprised that I'm currently de-emphasizing "Show, Don't Tell." It's certainly still appropriate in many cases, but I've become equally convinced that sparse prose that "tells", when expertly written, is often more effective. I'll do a lesson on that one of these times.
Jan Ackerson

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Giving this a little bump--I have one lesson ready to go on Monday, but I'd sure like several more ideas. What questions do you have about writing? What skills do you need lessons on in order to master them? What writing or literary terms are you curious about?
Jan Ackerson

Shann

Postby Shann » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Happy Dance!!!! How about misused words? Tenses, POV, POV shifts? Purple Prose? (How much description is too much?) Is something essential to the storyline and how to tell if reader needs to know it?

I agree you need to balance the telling and showing. I really like Amy's book Colin ( helped with the bad examples which is harder than one might think!) It helped me a lot with things like POV shifts and Purple prose.

I always thought if you tell the story in the third person that the author could peek into everyone's head.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks for the ideas, Shann. I'll add them to my list.
Jan Ackerson

choosingjoy
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby choosingjoy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:31 am

Hi, Jan! :D :D
I would like to know more about free verse or non-rhyming poetry. I love to read it, but I totally "don't get" how to write it. If you don't want to cover it, maybe you could recommend some good info on it.

So glad you are back on the boards. You have been such a part of FW since I joined. I'm sure you needed a break, but it's good to know you're here again. :superhappy
A child of the King!
Genia

addiepleasance
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby addiepleasance » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks for this suggestion, Genia. I've added it to my list, and since it's a topic that I love, expect to read a lesson on this soon.

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:59 am

addiepleasance wrote:Thanks for this suggestion, Genia. I've added it to my list, and since it's a topic that I love, expect to read a lesson on this soon.

Jan, are you also "addiepleasance?" :? :roll:

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:31 pm

LOL, yes! I didn't realize I was signed in under Addie's name. It hasn't been a secret for a while--but now that I mention it, I think I revealed it on Facebook, and not here.
Jan Ackerson

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Ah! This revelation has cleared up a longstanding mystery for me. In fact, I recall Googling your name and wondering if you were an alias for Stephen Stark, the author - after reading one of your Challenge articles, and being impressed not only with your writing but the number of times you had placed.

Since I'm not active on Facebook, I couldn't have known. Will the real Jan please stand up! :lol:

LOL indeed!!

Blessings,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Next

Return to Jan's Writing Basics