To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Shann

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby Shann » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:07 pm

I think you wshould go for it Pup! We live in the country so have well water. When I was a kid there was a spring by our house that had the best tasting water in the world. When I went to nursing taking Microbiology school we took a sample and examined it. It was full of e-coli from the cows who had a pasture above and next to it. I often wondered if that was what made it taste so good. :mrgreen:

It's really okay you snubbed me Pup. I didn't even know you had been gone! :tongue

Seriously though, even though I didn't know Jess, it has reminded me of how much I love each one of you wacky nuts. You all have a very special place in my heart and whenever anyone leaves or takes an extended break I feel a sense of loss. So we really need to work on getting together more often. I mean it and really want to even if it means overcoming my skype (or whatever that doohickey is called) fear
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Allison
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Allison » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:58 pm

I had chatted with Jess a number of times, but I don't know that I'd say I knew her really well. But it still hit me. I just about broke down at the children's musical rehearsal Saturday morning, as 40+ children sang "Oh No, You Never Let Go."
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:28 am

She was only a couple months younger than me. And she had normal health before she suddenly got sick and ended up with heart failure. Kind of scary, if you think about it. I know we know something could happen to us anytime, but it really hits home when it's someone so close to your age. :(

We got a new mattress Saturday so I slept on it Sunday and it is a lot more firm than our old one. Definitely will take getting used to. Ryan felt a ton better after his first night, though. His back was killing him after we got back and he slept on our old mattress, because it was so much softer than all the ones in the hotels and at my parents' house. Glad that he's doing better. Just gotta get used to it for myself. :wink:

Missed you, Pup. You're like the faithful poster here. Glad you had a fun vacation.

I found out that the graduate school I had been planning to attend changed their tuition rates and made it more affordable. Also that they changed the program so I'd be done in 3 years instead of five. I wrote my statement this weekend, which warmed me up for working on the Challenge. "Expect" is a great topic for me...just have to figure out how to approach it. I'll be attending a local writing group on Wednesday, so I should work on it tonight so I can bring my entry for critique then. They meet once a month, and I've always been out of town or working, so it'll be good to check it out.

Hope y'all are starting the week off okay. Amy, will be praying for Sis.

RachelM
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:42 pm

Things have been pretty busy this past week. My 4 year old son and I both had birthdays and Kevin's dad Don and his partner were here for the weekend. Don has Alzheimer's and so it's a bit heartbreaking having him here. He was actually a lot better than we expected though. He is very child like and can't follow conversations at all. He asked me how old the little ones were about 30 times, and then he'd smile and say, "He's sure doing great for a one year old." The major difference from last year is his peacefulness. Last year, he would get all panicky and not know where he was, but he's on anti-anxiety medication now and he just seemed happy.

Leah, I'm glad you're feeling better. Sorry to hear about that last delivery turning into an emergency after the birth. That's just hard on everyone involved. I'm sure that your presence was a huge blessing to the family at a very hard time.

Glad your back Pup!

Shann, can't wait to see your testimony. I need to get mine finished and of to you today. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about Jess's passing. I never knew her, but that is so heartbreaking when someone dies in their youth. I wish I could give you a hug Sparrow. It must be especially hard on you due to your closeness and similar struggles. I finished your book and was really blessed by it. It was exactly what I needed to open my eyes up to some of the weaknesses in my writing. I have so much to learn, but God is faithful and I feel that I will be able to grasp these techniques as I put them into practice.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:02 pm

My great aunt visited back in June and she has alzheimers. She definitely doesn't have the peace like your father-in-law does. She would think she lost something and go crazy all around the house trying to find it. A neighbor called and said that my great aunt needs to go into an assisted living facility or something.

Anyway... today would have been my Grandfather's 75th birthday.
Dum Spiro Spero

RachelM
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:28 pm

That sounds a lot like how my father-law-was last year. The doctor said that he might have 5 years to live and that he will probably need to go into a care home within 2 years. At that point his partner won't be able to lift him and he will likely be dependant for everything, (feeding, bathing, bathroom needs etc.)
Sadly, it's quite common in my husband's family. His dad and uncle have Alzheimer's and his grandmother died from it.
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:06 am

Rebecky wrote:Anyway... today would have been my Grandfather's 75th birthday.

:hugs2

violin4jesus wrote:You're like the faithful poster here.

Yeah, Bubbles might have started it, but the RestStop is mine. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 am

Thanks pup.

You can have the rest stop, especially since bubbles doesn't come around anymore to claim it. :tongue
Dum Spiro Spero

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 pm

:heehee

Officially, Seema has been here longer so she becomes queen by default, but we all know better. :wink:

JesusPuppy Profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:35 am

Uh-huh.

We all know who the real Queen is...

:wink: :tongue
Dum Spiro Spero

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 am

I made it into the Challenge just under the wire, and mine will be SUPER easy to spot as soon as you read it, but since we don't have volunteer judges anymore, I don't have to worry about my friends knowing it's me. :lol: I wrote it in just two hours, so it probably could be better, but I am trying to write anything at all, no matter how lame it may be.

I went to a local writing critique group last night that wasn't a Christian group, but still was decent. Everyone gave great pointers for each writer who shared. I brought my grad school essay, and they had some good advice for tightening it up. I hate writing about myself (formally - it's easy here, obviously) so I wasn't sure how to make it sound good without just being all I this and I that. I won't have time today to work on it, so I'll probably get it done over the weekend.

It's been pretty steady at work. My last few nights were much better, with nice relaxed births and pleasant families. The patient I had just before I left for vacation came over the weekend and gave us presents. They hadn't wanted to be in the hospital at all, and they were very impressed that we honored their birth plan, so they came back grateful for the experience. Then, the patient I had Tuesday night had a fantastic doula who is clearly experienced and super helpful. She said she's got two more patients due any day, so I told her if she brought a patient in today to ask for me for the night shift. So maybe I'll get another great delivery tonight. :mrgreen:

Okay, off to get ready for bed so I can rest up for tonight. Hope you all are doing well.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 am

night Leah. Good morning to all the rest.

As for the Kiddo trying to be funny.

JesusPuppy Profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:47 pm

trying to be funny?! I AM funny, Queen Pup... :lol: :mrgreen:
Dum Spiro Spero

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:39 pm

JesusPuppy Profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:42 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dum Spiro Spero

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler