To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

RachelM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby RachelM » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Just bought myself a Kindle and downloaded Unconventional (written by J.J. Hebert who will be writing the beginning of the FaithWriters testimony book.) I also downloaded a pile of classics from the free domain. Can't wait until the Kindle arrives. It's totally unnecessary since I will be getting an ipad in October, but I think I will just use it a lot more than if my books were on the ipad. Besides, I just got some birthday money and I feel like splurging. :)

:superhappy
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:00 pm

How Ironic.

A while ago my mom got a new Kindle Fire and gave me her old kindle (the one with the keyboard on it). Well mine just recently died. Luckily for me I just got a new tablet over a month ago so I can at least read on the kindle app. I still prefer my kindle and wish it would undie. The battery lasts WAY longer than on a tablet and I like the e-ink.

Anyway, if you happen to like christian romance type books you could check out "Mind over Madi" by faithwriter's very own Lynda Schab. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the first book and I'm now reading the second book, "Madily in Love".
Dum Spiro Spero

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:45 am

I hope you're having a birthday soon and that some thoughtful relative will see your need and get you a spanking new kindle. :D

Thanks for the book recommendation. It would be very cool to read some books by other FaithWriter members.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:41 am

Heehee. No my birthday is in April. :-)

Oh and I don't know if you like fantasy type books and this one isn't a christian one but you could check out "Wander Dust" it might even still be free too so you could try it and if you can't get into it, no money lost. :-)
Dum Spiro Spero

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Just downloaded Wander Dust. It was still free. Thanks!

Shann

Postby Shann » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Hey all! Man it's hot and sticky here! I have the Kindle app on my tablet and totally love it. I use it a lot. I haven't been reading as much because I've been knitting. I'm working on a purple blanket right now. I really love doing it. That Martha Stewart weave and loom kit was one of the best presents ever ( that and my tablet) I could never knit or crochet with actual needles and hooks cuz my left hand is so messed up, but using that makes it so easy. Though I still make mistakes. I don't usually pull them out unless i notice right away because it's so hard to get back on the pegs. It makes me feel crafty though!

I got so much stuff done today. It always makes me feel better when I can accomplish things.! We have horrible water and it turns all the chrome black and leaves rust stains everywhere else so I know have a toilet that isn't red and the sink looks good too. I started the tub but didn't get very far. It's really gross and we even have a filter and a water softener but it doesn't help.

Oh back to the tablet. I have this email thing that sends me free or cheap books everyday. I've downloaded quite a few, but haven't read much. Since I started editing, I have a really hard time reading because I want to make corrections or say show don't tell! Speaking of that...Rachel you should check out Amy's book. http://www.sparrowsflight.net/Amys-books.htm
Bring your writing to life. It really is quite helpful.

I can't believe that the challenge starts up again already. July 11 seemed so far away. I was going over my testimony, but I don't like it. I might just scrap it all and try again.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:50 pm

How strange! A couple hours ago I went searching to find Amy's book because I remembered reading a post about it when I first joined the forum. I found it and downloaded it and here you are recommending it. Obviously I better get reading. :) I know when God's trying to get my attention!

It does feel so good to accomplish stuff. I'm trying to work on my testimony but my laptop died again, so I'm sitting on the floor by the battery pack with my baby trying to "help." It can feel exasperating trying to fit writing somewhere into my day, but I think stories worth writing are going to come out of the struggles of real life. One of my real life struggles happens is that I don't have any electricity unless the generator is running! :? (We run it at night for light.)

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:01 pm

I pop in just in time to get encouragement about my book. :mrgreen: Thanks!

Rachel, I have Nook and love the ink-screen technology so much. I think you'll use your Kindle a lot even after you have the iPad.

Leah, so sorry you got a cold on top of the fatigue from the trip. :( Glad you're doing a little better.

I'm not doing quite as well this week, but still better than I was a couple months ago. I decided to take an editing job for the first time since I got the fever. We'll see how smart that was. I was hoping to use this time before I leave for Andy's to work on sorting out my bedroom so it's more livable in here, but now I'll have to be doing most of it editing. But it feels good to be functioning well enough to think about stuff like that again, even if I'm still not doing real great.

The description of the Independence Day parade with all th posters of those who have given their lives is very touching. :cry:

Shann, I think you need to read your own post up there about the testimony and apply it to yours. ;) You can get it done in time! Mine ended up being a very different feel than I thought it would, but I submitted it. I focused on getting through college with my illness and learning disabilities, but I've thought of doing a second one about living with my disease in general... The one I did is lighter-weight and this one seems almost too heavy. Probably am out of time now anyway, but will keep thinking about it and maybe I'll write it for something else, anyway.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Shann wrote:We have horrible water and it turns all the chrome black and leaves rust stains everywhere else so I know have a toilet that isn't red and the sink looks good too. I started the tub but didn't get very far. It's really gross and we even have a filter and a water softener but it doesn't help.

So, I read this, and I think, "Yikes! What's that doing to your insides?"

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Sparrow wrote:Shann, I think you need to read your own post up there about the testimony and apply it to yours. You can get it done in time!

I was thinking that too. :) Shann, It was your post that motivated me to write a testimony. You've already put so much effort into your testimony. Keep on keeping on!

DJGray wrote:
Shann wrote:We have horrible water and it turns all the chrome black and leaves rust stains everywhere else so I know have a toilet that isn't red and the sink looks good too. I started the tub but didn't get very far. It's really gross and we even have a filter and a water softener but it doesn't help.

So, I read this, and I think, "Yikes! What's that doing to your insides?"

I hope you are getting your drinking/cooking water from elsewhere.

Sparrow, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better. I prayed that you would have continued healing and renewed strength. I hope that the editing goes well.

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:35 am

Three days of rest did me good and I kicked it with vitamins and sleep. Already worked two more nights, although last night I stayed until 9:30am just finishing up my charting because I was so stinkin' busy on my shift. Had a fairly nice all-natural delivery that went really badly about an hour after baby was out...can't share too much of the details but it ended up in the OR at change of shift. :( I was soooooo tired when I got home, but I think I did everything I needed to do. At least the patient and her family appreciated me; that's the only thing that keeps me going sometimes when it's a super difficult case.

We tried a new local pizza place tonight that's like Chipotle for brick-fired pizza. You pick your sauce and toppings and cheese on your own personal pizza and they bake it for like 5 minutes and serve it up. They even have gluten-free crust and Daiya cheeze available for those of us with dietary restrictions. :D It's over in our neighborhood shopping center where we do most of our shopping (also where our gym is located), so super convenient. I can even order online for pickup on my way to work. They had sent us a $5 coupon in the mail so we had a discount, too.

Not much else going on. I'm glad the Challenge is up and running again...after the conference, I feel more inspired to write. I also had a patient the other day who was a writer, and we talked for an hour or so about different things we're doing. Gonna dust off my skills and get going again.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:11 pm

I'M BACK!!!

I know, you didn't miss me one bit, but I had fun riding. Total miles marked 285. Was good to get away for a while, but now... back to work I guess. :roll:

Bird?? When do you leave again to see Andy? Anyway still praying you hold out for the trip.

Leah. Is it strange of me.. everytime I see baby pictures I just want to pinch those little cheeks. Man what a face. IS that normal, or is my strangeness showing again? :roll:

Rachel, good deal on that reader.

Beck-Re-Kiddo... :tongue (just to show I missed you :mrgreen: )

Going to ride around town for a bit then try catching a nap before... dare I say it aloud... work. :shock:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:43 pm

I see Pup snubbed me again! Ahh the aGONY OF NOT BEING THE ONE IN puP'S LIFE! :tongue (Grr stupid cap lock or more accurately stupid useless fingers.) The bike ride sounds awesome> I'd love to be able to do that. I did walk in the back to the ponds yesterday and heard a very large animal rumbling in the brush probably deer and not bear, but still made my heart thump. Then came within feet of my goose (yes she is mine I named her Lucy) She must have had some goslings tucked under her because she didn't move. I wished I had my phone to take a pic or even more to call for help in case she attacked. I would have thrown Phin at her and made a mad dash for home. I was so proud Phin didn't bark once and he usually goes nuts at the birds in the yard.

I'm so sorry to hear about Jesse. I know a lot of you knew her and I'm sure your hearts are hurting. Big hugs!

I am working on my testimony. I did send it to Amy last night and am planning to send it to you too Rachel after I edit it a bit more.

And yes we have special drinking water. It taste nasty and I can't imagine drinking it from the tap. I didn't have to worry about it when pop was my only beverage, then I switched to peach juice which was almost as bad as pop then strawberry milk (well vanilla first until NesQuik dc the vanilla powder) and now I'm drinking water. It does make me feel better and a lot cheaper too.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:57 pm

Shann mentioned it briefly, but did you all hear that FaithWriter Jess Goodwin Capps passed away today? Thanks to Becky for texting me this morning to let me know. Jess used to be very active on this site, but then had gotten busy and was more into music than writing. About a year after she got married, she got a virus that attacked her heart. That must have been about four years ago? Something like that. She finally got a heart transplant about a year and a half ago. She's been very close to death many times before, but always had pulled through and kept fighting so hard. She was a strong woman of faith. Now she is strong and healed all over.

I had known her a little before, but when she got sick she contacted me since she knew I understood being a young adult living with a chronic illness. We were about the same age. Since then we've become very close. I never had the honor of meeting her in person, but we had plans to do a music tour with her singing and me signing.

Please be praying for all her family and friends, but please especially pray for her husband Clay. He's had a very difficult journey through all of this.

Pup, I leave for Maryland on the evening of the 23rd, so in about a week and a half. :mrgreen: Interesting timing. Last time I went to visit Andy we found out that my dad had cancer just days before I left. Now it's a friend's death shortly before.

Our water here makes everything turn weird colors after a while, too. But it's from underground springs and supposedly the cleanest in the U.S.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:34 am

Shann I am sooo sorry I forgot to say something personal to you, but.. The I'm back at the front was to let YOU know I was back. And it was in big letters. :roll: Wonder if she beleaves me.

I drink the tap water here, don't seem too bad. Then too I probably shouldn't. Any city that sends out a three page notice on the state of the water treatment... well, It dont taste toooo bad, get passed the slight smell of bleach. :roll:

Humm.. maybe that's why I am so odd. Wonder if I could sue the City. Blame it on the drinking water.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler