To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:52 am

DJGray wrote:Hmmm, Don, I think I'd replace Doctors with Politicians.

I think politicians are funny. Doctors not so much.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Nothing can separate me from my relationship with God. Absolutely nothing. I've staked my life on it, put all my chickens in one basket, would take it to the bank, and whatever else, to prove it,

But IF (and I want to emphasize IF, as in I.F., I should ever lose my faith, perish the thought, it will be because of my sewing machine. Not a certain person, not something I've stumbled over doctrinally, not because of an incident or accident or illness, none of these. Only one thing: the worst invention ever foisted on the human race with the pretense of helping poor, tired, old, innocent housewives like me: my Sears sewing machine.

Yesterday, after numerous attempts at sewing a seam (not a gown or tuxedo or man's suit, mind you, just a simple seam, the thingys that hold the bobbin fell out with all those parts that don't fit each other and were designed to harass and badger seamstresses since sewing machines were first invented by Adolph Hitler to drive the female half of the world C.R.A.Z.Y. !!!

I had lost my manual, so forget that. John refused to help after he drove the sewing machine needle through his first knuckle and his last nerve, and after an hour I went on YouTube for a tutorial which was taught by someone with a barely discernible foreign accent who kept saying, "I don't know the name of this part, but you get my drift." After the tenth time, I got her drift all right and she got some choice words from me before I shut her off.

Admittedly, I was short-changed when they passed out technology skills to newborns. I believe firmly every single appliance or machine, computer, whatever, should only have 2 buttons: Off and On. Nothing more!

My bobbin with lavender thread still sits on my counter, the seam still needs to be sewed up and I'm lying in the corner in a fetal position, sucking my thumb (the one that bled while I tried to force that bobbin in with my hammer), trying to decide how much to sell that dreadful sewing machine for.

Any takers?
:fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :fingerwag :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :shocked :helpwobble :helpwobble :helpwobble :helpwobble :helpwobble :pirate2 :pirate2 :pirate2 :pirate2 :pirate2 :cry2 :cry2 :cry2 :cry2 :cry2 :-x :-x :-x
"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:04 pm

The only sewing machine Carol ever had in our house was given to her 50 years ago my an elderly lady who decided to give up sewing. That machine was so old it was probably used to sew the seams of civil war uniforms.

Originally it was a Singer treadle operated machine, but had been converted to a motor drive just before we Carol took possession of it. As far as I know, it worked quite well. You just plug it in, and go.

I stripped the old finish off of it, sanded it smooth, and re-stained it to look pretty good. It is still taking up floor space in the house. I have even used it myself, but don't let that little fact get around. :roll:

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Once upon a time, I had a sewing machine, and it didn't take long for me to find out I had no gift in that direction---none! The cabinet was used as a table in the guest bedroom for years. I don't even know what ever happened to the hateful thing!

I just got a delightful commercial. Hope it will show up here. As Mariane says, "Cutest thing I ever saw!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/pfxB5ut-KTs?rel=0
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:48 pm

I had to get rid of my sewing machine about 2 years ago. I had it for 15-20 years and it was a good machine for most of that time. But in the end, it would not hold the bobbin tension and the cord to the foot pedal went bad. At one point I needed a new part (very small pad on the bottom to level the machine) and asked the worker at the Singer store the age of the machine. That model was made for only three years; the year I was born, the year before and the year after. It was 25-30 years old when I got the machine. I have known others with the same model of Singer who also had good luck with their machine. One friend that had a sewing business said that she would prefer an older machine like that for straight stitching. I have been wanting a new sewing machine ever since that one died, but now have no place to put one in the apartment.

Mariane and Verna, you can stop throwing tomatoes at me. Wow, one of you sure has an arm! :oops:
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Although the southern folks here probably pick ripe tomatoes from their back yard gardens in January, those of us living in the frozen northland must wait for the late weeks of summer to enjoy such things.

I am one Minnesotan who can hardly wait for some locally grown, fresh picked tomatoes, green beans, sweet corn, cantaloupe, and more. Yummm!

Does anyone else from "up north" agree with me?

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:24 pm

Yup. Here in Washington our tomato plants are just now flowering. We should have some toms in another month.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:01 am

If I've posted this before, forgive me. I thought it was funny, regardless of personal politics. Very cleverly written: :roll: :superhappy :P

TOP INDICATORS SIGNIFYING YOUR EMPLOYER HAS CHANGED TO OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE PLAN:

Directions to your doctor's office include "Take a left when you enter the trailer park behind the Asphalt Plant."

The tongue depressors taste like Fudgesicles.

The only proctologist in Obama's plan is "Gus" the Roto-Rooter.

The only item listed under Preventative Care Coverage is "an apple a day."

Your primary care physician is wearing the pants you gave to Goodwill last month.

The sentence, "The patient is responsible for 200% of out-of-network charges," is not a typographical error.

The only 100% medical expense covered by Obamacare is Embalming which also qualifies you for Green Stamps.

Your Prozac comes in different colors with little M's on them.

The hospital's only operating table has the words "Kansas City Abattoir" stamped on it.

Blood for transfusions with the particular smell of cherry Jello must be boiled one minute and dissolved before using.

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:17 pm

BeachGrandma! :nono2 :shocked As I sing to my hubby when he does something deserving the "COPs" theme song: "Bad boy, bad boy...." er I mean "Bad girl, bad girl!"

But, I must confess, I did chuckle, anyway! :lol:
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:51 pm

OK, then how about this?

[b] A RIDDLE FOR SMART PEOPLE

Figure it out!
Only 5% of Stanford University graduates figured it out.
Can you answer all seven of the following questions
With the same word?

1. The word has seven letters….

2. Preceded God…

3. Greater than God…

4. More Evil than the devil…

5. All poor people have it…

6. Wealthy people need it….

7. If you eat it, you will die.
Did you figure it out?
Try hard before looking at the answers

Did you get it yet?

Try really really hard.
Give up?

Brace yourself for the answer….

The Answer is:

NOTHING!

NOTHING has 7 letters.
NOTHING preceded God.
NOTHING is greater than God.
NOTHING is more Evil than the devil.
All poor people have NOTHING.
Wealthy people need NOTHING.
If you eat NOTHING, you will die..
Send this brain-teaser to your smart friends
And see if they can answer it…….

[/b]

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:49 pm

I was looking over my pages of true life stories today, and found this one that you might find humorous.

Don

The Minnesota Twins played the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 1965 World Series for baseball's elite championship. My employer had managed to purchase four tickets for each of the home games played at the old Met Stadium. I was offered a pair of tickets for Carol and me to attend one of the games.

Although the stadium was only a 20-30 minute drive from my home, I refused the offer. I simply didn't want to deal with the traffic, the crowds, and the noise of screaming fans. Besides, I didn’t have a great love for baseball.

OH, WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!

During all of her adult life, Carol was an enthusiastic baseball fan. When I told her what I had done, she went bananas. I still have a vivid memory of being chained to the doghouse for a very long time.

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:49 pm

I haven't washed away yet---but almost. At least, we see the sun usually a little while every day. That keeps me same---almost. We have had some rain 21 of the last 22 days.

Don, I'm glad you got out of the doghouse. My husband was given a ticket years ago to a race--which he didn't take advantage of--but that was fine with me. Our daughter went once when she was young, and when I asked her what it was like, she said, "Zoom, zoom, zoom and tar on your arms!"

Mariane, you make me smile.

A blessed Sunday to you all!
Verna

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:44 pm

Yesterday for dinner I made a dish of scalloped potatoes with chopped onions and ham pieces. It was yummy!

I will re-heat it for tonight's dinner. Today, it is so hot outside that maybe I can just set the food out on my deck for 30 minutes. It should be piping hot by then. :lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:05 pm

That's one of John's favorite meals, Don. Good eatin'.

Did I mention how disappointed I was that the editor of "God Makes Lemonade" books changed my story that I had submitted so much that I refused it? It was the worst cut and slice job I've ever seen! So the editorial assistant did it over again, only this time it was worse. They wanted me to add things that were absolutely not true, just to make the story more interesting. So I again refused and I asked them to release me from the other stories I had sent to them for consideration.

So I submitted it to Chicken Soup for the Soul publishers and they accepted it, but wanted me to read through the final copy for my approval. When it came today, I was stunned and so happy! They had accepted it exactly as I submitted it. Not even one word was changed! I feel like sending that copy to "God Makes Lemonade" but of course I won't. Besides, both God Makes Lemonade publishers and also Chicken Soup for the Soul publishers are both coming out with a book about miracle later this year so you know good and well the publishers of God Makes Lemonade will check out what their competitor (Chicken Soup) have included in their book, and there will be my story, just as it was first written. He he. I love it!

I need to get something started for dinner. I think it's gonna be chicken salad with grapes, apples, pecans, and dried cranberries.

Love you guys and gals!
:grouphug :grouphug2 :loveyou :hugs2 :hugs3 :grouphug3 :hugkiss :handshake :grouphug2 :razzberry

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:52 pm

You go, Mariane! You know what you want in --or don't want in your stories--and I'm glad you stuck to your guns. I think Chicken Soup has a wider audience anyway. I sent one to God Makes Lemonade for the book---but I haven't had a response. Apparently I don't have the "touch."

The rain has gone for now and SUMMER is here, for sure!

Back to the tomato conversation. I can't wait to get some from my friend's garden--if the squirrels haven't finished them off!
Verna

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler