To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Allison
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Allison » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Hey Don, how is your daughter doing?

So in connection (somewhat) to Don's daughter and myself, I'd like to request prayers for a lady at my church, Beth. She had a hip replacement 10 to 12 years ago, but it was a metal-on-metal replacement, which I'm sure you've heard about through "lawsuit commercials" (don't know what else to call them) on TV. She has toxic levels of various metals in her blood, and so she is having a revision hip replacement operation tomorrow. They are going to attempt to do both in one operation. If you would pray for a successful surgery and with a quick recovery, I know she'd appreciate it. She needs to be able to get out of the house exactly one month from today. Her five children (ranging in age from about 17 to 25, I think) are going to be singing the national anthem at the St. Louis Cardinals game on Aug. 7th! So I know she wants to be well enough to see them. She says she WILL be going in her wheelchair. :) But you know. I'm sure she wants to actually feel better and be pain free and all that by then too.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:55 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:DJ, I did a double-take when I read your last posting.

Too funny!! I've done the same thing myself, many times. I read something that is or is not there. It's the very reason I cannot adequately proofread my own writing. I read right over the errors because I know what it says.

:wink:

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Allison wrote:Hey Don, how is your daughter doing?

So in connection (somewhat) to Don's daughter and myself, I'd like to request prayers for a lady at my church, Beth. She had a hip replacement 10 to 12 years ago, but it was a metal-on-metal replacement, which I'm sure you've heard about through "lawsuit commercials" (don't know what else to call them) on TV. She has toxic levels of various metals in her blood, and so she is having a revision hip replacement operation tomorrow. They are going to attempt to do both in one operation. If you would pray for a successful surgery and with a quick recovery, I know she'd appreciate it. She needs to be able to get out of the house exactly one month from today. Her five children (ranging in age from about 17 to 25, I think) are going to be singing the national anthem at the St. Louis Cardinals game on Aug. 7th! So I know she wants to be well enough to see them. She says she WILL be going in her wheelchair. :) But you know. I'm sure she wants to actually feel better and be pain free and all that by then too.

My daughter is coming along quite well. Last week she was 9 weeks post hip surgery, and drove the 4 hour trip from Des Moines to Minneapolis - arriving at my house on Friday and returning on Sunday. She is pretty much pain free. Her doctors tell her everything is good on the recent x-rays.

She uses a cane for walking. Prior to surgery she had developed a limp, and is now using the cane to train her muscles to not limp. The cane is not used because of any pain or instability - just to walk normally.

Also, she goes up and down stairs slowly one step at a time. I'm not sure why, though.

I do not know what kind of hip joint they implanted. Are the metal-on-metal types used anymore after the lawsuits?

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Allison

Postby Allison » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:50 pm

ready2go wrote:
Allison wrote:Hey Don, how is your daughter doing?

My daughter is coming along quite well. Last week she was 9 weeks post hip surgery, and drove the 4 hour trip from Des Moines to Minneapolis - arriving at my house on Friday and returning on Sunday. She is pretty much pain free. Her doctors tell her everything is good on the recent x-rays.

She uses a cane for walking. Prior to surgery she had developed a limp, and is now using the cane to train her muscles to not limp. The cane is not used because of any pain or instability - just to walk normally.

Also, she goes up and down stairs slowly one step at a time. I'm not sure why, though.

I do not know what kind of hip joint they implanted. Are the metal-on-metal types used anymore after the lawsuits?

Don

No, they are using metal on plastic/ceramic or some combination of those last two.

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:30 am

Good morning all on our 16th day in a row with some rain. However, right now it feels good not to live near a lake.

I have not been able to log in for several days. FW would not accept my changed password, but when I went back to the original I was in.

We enjoyed our 4th so much--holding and hugging the great grandbabies and being with all my son's family.

Prayed for your friend, Allison.

DJ, I know just what you're saying about reading what we think is there. I have to proofread over and over again and still miss some things in my own writing.

Wishing all a happy, peaceful week.--with a special hug for Mariane!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:15 pm

Is anyone else having trouble getting the forum pages of FW to load? It might be other pages here as well...I don't know.

It takes forever and a day for them to load. Sometimes I tire of waiting and just give up. All other sites I visit are okay. It's not my computer. Something is wrong somewhere...

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:28 pm

This story should confirm the rumors that I have slipped over the edge and gone bananas...

This morning I met a friend of mine at a local restaurant for breakfast. Among other things, we discussed how to proceed with a project involving the fabrication, finishing and fitting of a special bracket we hoped to make from a crude piece of aluminum.

My friend brought the weathered, old material with him, and laid the 'thing' on the dining table. I was my hope we could have some fun with the waitress after she saw it. However, the waitress didn't comment on it but had she done so, the conversation might have gone something like this:

Waitress:
"What in the world is that thing?"

Me:
"Actually this 'thing' is not of this world. It came from outer space and is the only one in captivity. It fell off a UFO flying over southern Minnesota."

Waitress:
"What???"

Me:
"Yep, that's right, but let me explain something. My associate and I are special government investigators working undercover to determine exactly what it is, what it is made of, and what it was used for. Also, we must find out if it poses a danger to mankind."

Waitress:
"Yeah, right! You guys are kidding me, right? It’s from outer space? That 'thing' looks weird enough. Maybe it's true. It’s like…science fiction. That is spooky stuff!"

Me:
“Shhhhh! Keep your voice down. There might be spies sitting at the next table anxious to learn what we know."

Me:
"Okay, here's what we have found out so far. As this thing fell from the sky with blistering speed, there was an accident. You see, just before the 'thing' crashed to earth, a farmer saw it ricochet off the snout of one of his prize dairy cows. The farmer is hopping mad.”

Waitress:
“Wow! Did it hurt the cow?"

Me:
"Yes, I'm afraid so. The cow is now producing green, sour milk. Not only that, but it damaged the cow's moo mechanism, too. Its moo now sounds like screeching tires on hot pavement. The other cows jumped over the fence and haven't been seen since."

Waitress:
“Wow! Just wow! This is exciting. Oh, that poor cow! What else do you know? What are all of those holes for?"

Me:
"From your high school physics classes, you know that an object will generate heat from friction when moving at high speeds. The holes are probably ventilation ports for cooling."

Waitress:
"What do you think that 'thing' was used for? Why is it shaped that way?"

Me:
"Well, you probably noticed that the 'thing' has a square corner with two sides extending outward at 90 degrees. As you might have heard from other UFO sightings, they are often seen traveling in a straight line. Then, they will turn sharply and begin travel at 90 degrees to their original trajectory."

Waitress:
"Yes, I have heard of such observed movement. But, what does the square corner on the 'thing' have to do with that?"

Me:
"The answer is quite simple. We believe this 'thing' is the UFO's left-turn cornering controller. Now, apparently there is a UFO out there somewhere that can only make right turns. That means it can only fly in circles around the vast universe.”

Waitress:
“Owww! That is scary!”

Me:
"Scary? Not really. The UFO can never return to our planet again. By the way, my associate and I are getting hungry. How about serving us some scrambled eggs, burnt toast and lots and lots of black coffee?”

:lol:

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Don, that sounds like a winner! Write it as a story (I want to know how it ends! :lol: ) and submit it and then give us the link.

You have great writing skills, and you keep telling us fibs about it. Just get you going on nature stories and humor, like this, and you can hold a candle to any published author. :thumbs
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Edy wrote:Don, that sounds like a winner! Write it as a story (I want to know how it ends! :lol: ) and submit it and then give us the link.

You have great writing skills, and you keep telling us fibs about it. Just get you going on nature stories and humor, like this, and you can hold a candle to any published author. :thumbs

I do need to clean up some of the wording, but write it as a story? What you read IS the whole story. There just ain't no more. To add a bunch of serious stuff to it would detract from the humor.

And, what's this about "great writing skills"? Now, that's funny! Did you forget to take your meds this morning? :?

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:00 pm

If you say so, Don! :P But, I'm not on any meds. They're bad for you. :tongue
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:26 pm

It's good to find humor in wondering "what if." Keep it up, Don!

And Edy's right---with just a little tying it together as though it really happened, it would make a delightful story.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Verna wrote:It's good to find humor in wondering "what if." Keep it up, Don!

And Edy's right---with just a little tying it together as though it really happened, it would make a delightful story.

Well, I did meet my friend for breakfast this morning - so that actually happened.

He did bring the project "thing" with him, and set it on the table for our discussion - so that actually happened.

As I said in the story opening, the waitress did not comment as I hoped would happen. The entire dialog with the waitress is what might have taken place. How could I write that as if it had actually happened - but didn't? :?

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

CatLin

Postby CatLin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Hey, all my lovely and loving friends! I'm not going to try to catch up, but just stopping by to say I love you and I miss you. I want to start hanging out at FW more again - FaceBook has possessed me and I think I need some intervention. :grouphug2 What better place to seek it than the Porch, sipping sweet tea and swinging with Old Blue while I listen in on the latest comings and goings.

Love
Cat
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

CatLin

Postby CatLin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Don, I just read your story of your breakfast. I love it; the humor is intellectual yet silly, and the ending is perfect.
Cat
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

Allison

Postby Allison » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 pm

My friend from church only ended up having one hip done. So she'll have to go through all of this again in a few months. *sigh* Easier recovery, I suppose, but I hate she's going to have to have it done again. :(

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler