To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

ready2go
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby ready2go » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:20 pm

Do any of you have any thoughts you would like to share concerning Paula Deen's situation?

I have some thoughts I'll share later.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:36 pm

You'll have to brief us on the situation, Don. I know nothing!

We just had a knock on our front door, for Howard to move the car. We have a street full of huge yellow vehicles, plus a white truck up on the lawn across the street with a cherry picker basket occupant up in the branches of our neighbor's fallen elm. The yellow vehicle out front has a crane (or whatever it's called) that looks like the equipment for building bridges and skyscrapers.

Howard is out taking pictures with his smart phone. If he gets some good ones, I'll share. 8)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:44 pm

ready2go wrote:Do any of you have any thoughts you would like to share concerning Paula Deen's situation?

Just that it exposes the hypocrisy of our society to blast her the way she's being vilified. I never watched her show, and couldn't have even told you who she was last week. But the circus surrounding this is laughable. The most offensive thing I've seen/heard is the mascara she wears.

Move along now. Move along. Nothing to see here... :cop

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Since I enjoy cooking, I often watch the FoodTV channel. Several of the chefs featured are among my favorites, including Paula.

It is my understanding that 30 years ago she uttered the "N" word in private company after being threatened by a person-of-color who held a gun to her. She has admitted saying the word then, but claims to have never said it since.

Somehow this story has come out in the open, and she is being put through the wringer. FoodTV and many others including her sponsors have dumped Paula. It is being said that her career is over. Paula is heartbroken over the publicity and actions taken.

THIS HAS SIMPLY GONE TOO FAR. IT TOOK PLACE 30 YEARS AGO!!!

How many people, including those reading this, can say they have NEVER, EVER uttered a hurtful or offensive word toward someone in a moment of anger or frustration? I stand guilty as charged. I'm pretty sure that I have done that very thing at sometime in my life - perhaps more than once, but I don't remember anymore.

As I was growing up in the 1950's the "N" word was tossed around often. I have even heard my grandparents using it. They were the nicest people you could ever meet, and wouldn't intentionally hurt a flea. However, times have changed.

In my opinion, Paula can be a little rough around the edges at times, but I like her style. I believe the networks and sponsors have been looking for a way to get rid of her. They have jumped on this old story as the way to do just that.

It would be interesting to examine the 30-year verbal records of all those who are forcing Paula out to the wolves. Me thinks their records would not be squeaky clean.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:03 pm

Walmart dumped Paula. I wonder how many Sesame Street Clean rap CDs they have in their music pile. And geeeeeeeeeee whizikers, I wonder if we could just post the lyrics from those love songs HERE!!!!

:shock: :shock:

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Have any of you had the shingles vaccine?

I watched Carol suffer with shingles 3-4 years ago in addition to everything else she was enduring. Her shingles outbreak went down one side of her face, and extended into one eye, into her nose, and into her mouth. It was very painful and long lasting even with meds, plus, there were on-going side effects during the next year.

She had not had the shingles shot. I have not had one either. My doctor has bugged me about it for 2 years, but so far I have told him "no."

The shot is only about 50% effective and expensive, but since I have had chicken pox, I am now re-considering.

Any thoughts pro or con?

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:33 pm

After reading this, I won't ever get another immunization:

http://www.thelibertybeacon.com/2013/02 ... s-a-child/

I've had fairly mild cases of shingles twice. [I take oral L-lysine, when I think of it, which is supposed to be protective, along with other vitamins and mineral supplements.] And, as soon as I recognized what was happening, I got a prescription for oral acyclovir (I think is the name). But, a person has to weigh the odds. If only 50 per cent effective, I wouldn't bother. We had a lady at the nursing home, however, whose shingles on her head turned into an herpetic encephalitis. She was even on the mend after a stay in the hospital for it. She developed excruciating headaches that pain meds didn't help. We finally got the doctor out to see her. He was angry with us until he saw her in such pain and changed his tune instantly. She didn't make it, dying about five days later, as I recall. But, her age and other conditions could have contributed to her demise.

Sorry, I'm not much help!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:17 am

I've heard people say that shingles produced the worst pain they ever experienced in all their lives, bar none. Spare us all, Lord.
Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 am

I don't know why it was suddenly decided to pick on Paula, but right now she's having the last laugh. Her book--not due out till October--is #1 on Amazon. When there are so many real problems in our world and nation right now, a decision not to forgive someone who asked for forgiveness for an offense 30 years ago seems "mighty small potatoes--with lots of cream and butter.)" :D

I had a mild case of shingles many years ago and have seen family members (my father-in-law and my son and my sister-in-law) really suffer with them. At our doctor's suggestion, my husband and I got the shot several years ago (with no problems). I figure 50 percent chance of being free of them for us is better than 0 percent.

While my aching joints have not been thrilled with all the rain we've had, I'm loving our beautiful green North Carolina.

Hope all my friends on the porch have a blessed weekend.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:58 pm

ready2go wrote:Do any of you have any thoughts you would like to share concerning Paula Deen's situation?

Verna wrote:I don't know why it was suddenly decided to pick on Paula...

We may never fully know the reasons why, but apparently from some reports her initial, rather cavalier response to the charges prompted further action by the politically correct. Perhaps, had she been as remorseful and humble then as she is now, there may have been a different outcome. But as Verna indicates, there is a silver lining.

More importantly, I question how a private conversation that took place thirty years ago with her husband managed to become public.

Blessings,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:24 pm

ready2go wrote:Any thoughts pro or con?

Shingles HURT!! I vote for just leaving them alone and refusing to participate!

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:31 pm

DJGray wrote:
ready2go wrote:Any thoughts pro or con?

Shingles HURT!! I vote for just leaving them alone and refusing to participate!

I see we have another humorist onboard the Porch! Move over, BeachGrandma, Don, and the rest! :lol:
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:43 pm

That's funny, DJ.

Hey, here's something to keep in mind:

The Toothpaste Solution

Toothpaste is great for your teeth and for your wall. One of the simplest solutions to repairing a nail hole in drywall involves using toothpaste. You take toothpaste and push as much as you can to fill up the hole, scrape off any remaining paste to make a nice smooth surface and then let the paste dry. Toothpaste really looks surprisingly similar to spackling and does not shrink like caulking does.

From the pictures of the FW conference being posted on FB, they're having a good time at the Conference. George is there and I know he's a big hit. And so is Pup, with his homemade fudge.
But a lot of the regulars couldn't make it, like Jan, and so many others from the midwest and East. Portland is a long way for some.
Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:23 pm

It's good to see pictures of folks who have shared with us on the porch. I still have George and Pup as friends in my heart.

They have a great place for the conference. I hope they have a wonderful time and that any who have not been to the Pacific Coast take the time to go. It's nothing like "our" coast that's so fun to walk barefoot on and lie on the the shore in the sun. It's rocky--but oh so beautiful. My husband and I flew to Seattle some years ago and rented a car to travel down the coast. That was one of our favorite trips, and in our younger years, we traveled all over the United States, plus going to Jamaica, Alaska, and Greece.

What I remember most about going to Portland was being really, really hungry for a good meal, and after getting most of the way through the city and finding nothing, we stopped at a fast-food place that I absolutely do NOT like. Then about a half mile farther, there was a lovely restaurant.

Dreary, rainy day here, but comfortable and bright in my house.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:56 pm

I do hope this link works. Our missionary pastor (John Spaulding) brought us another wonderful message, today, "Put First Things First." He always makes us think.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/35171757
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler