To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby DJGray » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:26 pm

RachelM wrote:Okay, you guys can skip this part. I'm going to share some birth stories. You've been warned. :)

Alert!! Alert!! The dam has burst. Estrogen and progesterone flooding has occurred! Image

RachelM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Shann wrote:I love heating your stories. I so miss OB. I hope when my girls have babies they will want me there. I had as way of calming any patient. I could always tell the ones who didn't go to labor classes.

A calming presence is so powerful in birth. I hope my girls will want me there too. :)

DJGray wrote:
RachelM wrote:Okay, you guys can skip this part. I'm going to share some birth stories. You've been warned. :)

Alert!! Alert!! The dam has burst. Estrogen and progesterone flooding has occurred! Image

Yeah, sorry about that! :wink: I don't think it's Pup and Shann scaring people off. I think I should cool it on this birth stuff. :roll:
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. Pup and I have done way more than tell about birth stories. I think they are fascinating to hear others experience. (Though telling people your labor was only a few of hours long might cause some people to riot! :mrgreen: )

When I was working in OB, we only used forceps on rare cases, that and fundal pressure. I had M almost 29 years ago. Wait 29 that can't be right, hmm let me get my toes out so I can count 1984 to 201...umm what year is it again? And how did my baby get so old so fast?

When I had M, I figured out that if she had a baby at the same age I did, then I would be a grandmother at 36. I know at least 3 generations before me had gotten pregnant before they were married and I think also in their teens. Of course in the 80's you didn't have to get married like you did when mom and Grandma had their babies. I did want to break that teen cycle and am glad I did though I really am ready for grandchildren. Two of my nieces had kids in their late teens, so I'm not sure if that's breaking the cycle or not. Also technically Lyd is still a teen, but only has a few months to go until she's out of her teens. Q mentioned that the other day and I thought it was quite mean to bring to my attention that in 6 months I'd officially no longer have kids who are still kids even though they're always my babies.

So who do you all think is easier--Boys or Girls?
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask, who all from here is entering the testimony contest? I know Amy and I are. I also know Pup, Jay, Tim, Allison and Becky have some awesome stories they could use. And I'm sure Barb, Leah, DeeJay,Seema, and Tiara have some too.

And even out MIA's like Tiara, Ivy, Shelley, Holly, and others that I can't remember because I'm getting old and they don't pop in as often...
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:31 pm

DJGray wrote:

I feel the same way. and I'm a girl. :shock:

SO I read that apparently a tv show on Disney is going to have an episode with a same-sex couple in it sometime next year.

and what is a testimony thingy your talking about shann?
Dum Spiro Spero

Allison

Postby Allison » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Shann wrote:Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask, who all from here is entering the testimony contest? I know Amy and I are. I also know Pup, Jay, Tim, Allison and Becky have some awesome stories they could use. And I'm sure Barb, Leah, DeeJay,Seema, and Tiara have some too.

And even out MIA's like Tiara, Ivy, Shelley, Holly, and others that I can't remember because I'm getting old and they don't pop in as often...

I'm working on mine. I've got the "original with edits" version on my profile page, and am working to get it "up to snuff" for the contest. I've had two people look it over with edits, and I'm going to combine the two, and hopefully have a much stronger entry. :)
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:05 am

RachelM wrote:So what is your connection to homeschooling Leah? Were you homeschooled or do you homeschool?

Do you homeschool your kids, Rachel? I was homeschooled K-12 and always thought I'd have a bunch of my own kids and homeschool them, too. Life had other plans... I'm not married yet and ended up with about five debilitating genetic disorders. :roll: Anyway, I was blessed to be homeschooled myself. I am not sure if I would have been able to write otherwise. I've always been a storyteller, but have a rare learning disability and had a lot of trouble turning my ideas into black and white words on paper. But being homeschooled both meant my mom was involved enough to realize that it wasn't dyslexia and get me the right therapy, and that she could work with me one-on-one to get the kind of learning I needed. :)

I booked a flight this week to go visit my boyfriend in Maryland next month. I got a really awesome deal! Did I already say that I'm going to try flying red eye to see if that helps it be less difficult for me physically? Mornings are my worst times, so maybe not starting out the long trip in an early morning will help.

I'm going to stay a whole month. :superhappy I stay in his parents' basement with a bedroom and bathroom to myself, so will be able to crash and sleep all day as needed, and don't have to pay for a hotel or anything. So we're hoping staying for longer and not having to fly there and back so close together will help, and of course most important will give Andy and I even more time to hang out in person.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:36 am

Shann wrote: When I had M, I figured out that if she had a baby at the same age I did, then I would be a grandmother at 36. I know at least 3 generations before me had gotten pregnant before they were married and I think also in their teens. Of course in the 80's you didn't have to get married like you did when mom and Grandma had their babies. I did want to break that teen cycle and am glad I did though I really am ready for grandchildren. Two of my nieces had kids in their late teens, so I'm not sure if that's breaking the cycle or not. Also technically Lyd is still a teen, but only has a few months to go until she's out of her teens. Q mentioned that the other day and I thought it was quite mean to bring to my attention that in 6 months I'd officially no longer have kids who are still kids even though they're always my babies.

My mom was 19 when she had me and I was 19 when I had my oldest daughter, so my mom was 38 when she became a grandma. That's only 5 years away for me and seems very young! I wouldn't mind if my children married young and I became a grandma at 38, but I do want my children to be married to strong godly people. I pray that none of my children will divorce as it hurts everyone so much.

Shann wrote:So who do you all think is easier--Boys or Girls?

My girls are 11 and 13 and it's been pretty wild lately. One of my boys is quite explosive, but I've found girls can be nastier when they fight. I'd say girls are harder, more complicated anyway.

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am

Shann wrote:Oh yeah, I've been meaning to ask, who all from here is entering the testimony contest?

I haven't really checked this out yet, but I will today. I will try to enter my testimony if I'm not too late.

Sparrow wrote:Do you homeschool your kids, Rachel? I was homeschooled K-12 and always thought I'd have a bunch of my own kids and homeschool them, too. Life had other plans... I'm not married yet and ended up with about five debilitating genetic disorders.

Yes, I homeschool. I really, really love it (most of the time! :D ) It's really intense, but I have learned so much on the journey. I find it so exciting when they learn to read and the whole world opens up for them.

I'm sorry to hear about the disorders that you are struggling with. It must be so hard to be tired all the time. I hope that your time with your boyfriend is sweet and amazing. :)

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Shann Cann of Banana Land wrote:I can't remember because I'm getting old..

:rolling

RachelM wrote:I don't think it's Pup and Shann scaring people off. I think I should cool it on this birth stuff. :roll:

Think nothing of it. Life is just that, Life. And life happens. It is that odd and sometimes awe inspiring thing that HAPPENS a lot. Mostly between the times of Birth and death. :roll:

But hey... Life Happens, and sometimes you just gotta laugh at it. :mrgreen:

Shann wrote:So who do you all think is easier--Boys or Girls?

Boys. Of course. :mrgreen:

Will definately be praying for your visit eastward, Little Bird. Hopefully the longer trip will make things a little better. It is no fun going for a visit and being down the whole time. Do you guys have sites planned as well or just hanging around.

I love Shann, she always make my day so colorful. :lol:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Aw, man, I missed the birth stories discussion, but only because I was LIVING IT! :roll: Three 12-hour shifts and four radically different labor/delivery stories. This morning's was probably the best, though. Planned homebirth turned induction for baby's sake, and managed to keep both doctor and patient for the most part happy with the way things turned out. Feels good to have a successful birth on my last shift. Then I had a 90-minute massage. Since I won't have one for a couple weeks, it's worth it to get a good long one. :D

Trying to get a few hours of sleep before packing, but I can tell I'm already excited for the weekend. I'll write more later tonight maybe, and if not, I'll be seeing some of you soon!

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Went to MySpace to make my final post, only to find they've completely changed the site. When you post, it's in huge letters; do they think their people are visually impaired or something? My posts are gone, as are everyone else's, along with comments, pictures, etc., though my picture of Tripod was still there. Hundreds of people were complaining mightily; lots had stuff on there with posts and pictures from now-deceased friends and relatives. Went to do my email on Hotmail, and there were over 130 emails in my junk mail! All but a few were updates from people over at MySpace!

I don't understand what it is about big public sites; they start out serving people, letting them do what they want within certain boundaries, then BOOM! All of a sudden, they change it overnight, and it's more of their own personal site than the public's. That happened with icanhazcheezburger.com as well; they had over 15,000 protests over the way the owners changed the site, and only 500 people posted that they liked the new appearance. The owners deliberately ignored the majority and as a result their Alexia numbers plummeted. Why do they shoot themselves in the foot like that?

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:38 pm

deejay wrote:I don't understand what it is about big public sites; they start out serving people, letting them do what they want within certain boundaries, then BOOM! All of a sudden, they change it overnight, and it's more of their own personal site than the public's.

Always, always, always follow the money. The money will dictate. You're baited with a freebie, and then comes the "boom" you mentioned.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:56 pm

I must be invisible these days.
Dum Spiro Spero

Allison

Postby Allison » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Rebecky wrote:I must be invisible these days.

What? Huh? Who said that?!?? :)

Here's a link to the testimony contest/project.
http://faithwriters.com/testimonycontestpage.html
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler