To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Allison
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Allison » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Well, my first guess, without knowing anything else would be David Jeffrey, because that's one of my brothers' first and middle names.

My next guess would be Damon Jeffery. Damon from his/your signature, and Jeffrey because it sounds good with Damon, and for the reason above. ;)
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:48 am

"D.J." looks like quite a popular pair of initials.

At one point in time, I tried to think of all the initial combinations that could substitute for a name. For example "E.D." = Edy = Edythe Dorothea (I'm named for my grandmothers)

Then there's "K.T." = Katie = Kathryn Teresa, or etc.''

I like "L.C." = Elsie = but the initials don't fit with the name.

Anybody else like to play this game? :P
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:44 am

My niece Kasey often writes KC for her name. We have a boy at work whose name is JP. As far as I know, it doesn't stand for anything.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

dub

Postby dub » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Splish, splash, torrential rains, so far I record about 2 inches. But it comes in spirts as the storm rolls through.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:50 pm

We were without power from our Friday evening "typhoon" (I didn't come up with that term until visiting with a missionary family at an open house Saturday) for about 16 hours - until noon on Saturday. I don't remember ever being that long "in the dark" from previous storms. I watched the backyard towering tree tops in a dancing frenzy from the wind and monsoon rain while praying "Bless this house, O Lord, we pray; keep it safe by night and day."

Our property is unscathed. We live on the better side of the street. But, here's the view out our front door:

The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:56 pm

From the past three days and nights, my rain gauge on the deck shows 5 1/2 inches. I believe that is short of the actual because the wind-driven rain fell at an angle to the tube opening of the gauge.

When that happens the gauge opening area is eliptical to the on-coming rain drops - not circular as it would be if the rain fell vertically. The elipse becomes smaller as the wind-driven rain becomes more horizontal. The result is less rain being captured by the gauge than what actually fell.

Just for kicks I calculated "correction factors" that can be applied to the gauge's measured amount based on different angles of wind-driven rain. All one needs to do is tape a protractor to the window and record the rain angle. Then, apply the appropriate "correction factor" to determine the accurate rainfall amount. 8)

See! Isn't math and engineering fun? :lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:13 am

You're way beyond me, Don. You left me in the dark from the first sentence on. :lol:

Edy, that picture is scary! Is the tree top resting on the roof of the house? I couldn't tell with all the things around it. I'm sorry for the people, whoever they are, who were hit like this but thankful it wasn't your house.

I'm thinking about your game, Edy, and might come up with something. Meanwhile, back to sleep.

God bless my dear friends on the porch who I pray are resting quietly and having Jesus dreams.
"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 am

I'm watching a bright male cardinal perched on the bird feeder porch and a little mocking bird at the basket of impatiens right outside my window as he dives for Japanese beetles on the flowers. I hope he gets them all!

I can't beat Don Juan--but I did think of Dear John. My husband and I look at the license plates in front of us when we're on the road and make words from the initials. My mom named me Verna Jean and called me that. When I was a freshman and sophomore in college at Southern Wesleyan (Central College then) my friends called me VJ.

Don, You're way over my head in math and engineering and anything else of that ilk.

Edy, I'm glad your house and you were okay in that awful storm.

Dub, I hope you don't float away and I'm glad they got that shooter.

Mariane, I was definitely sleeping when you were busy writing. :)

Happy Monday to all on the porch.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 am

The ground is so saturated that some of the older, unhealthy trees are falling taking the whole root ball out of the ground. It looks like that is what happened to the tree across the street from Edy. It happened last weekend to a tree in my yard. I have spent the last week on the phone with the tree company, the insurance adjuster and the real estate office to try to get that whole mess figured out. The insurance adjuster cannot look at the damage to the house and deck until the tree company removes the tree and they have been so busy and the ground so wet that they have not been able to do that yet -- and it has been a week.

As far as we can tell, it appears that the roof is fine, but definately have gutters off the back of the house. Can't tell at all if there is damage to the deck because the half of the deck that is covered by the tree is TOTALLY covered.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 am

Uff da, Joanney! I didn't realize a tree would go down, like yours, without such bad winds as we had Friday night. I do recall in Alexandria, where a brother lives, in a heavily wet year, that it didn't take much to up-end a number of elms. Some could be salvaged, I understand, and propped back up in place. But, as lovely as our cathedral streets, here, once looked, with branching boulevard elms, I'm not too sorry most of them have had to be replaced with another species due to Dutch elm disease.

That elm across the street from us is resting on two houses. Not sure how much damage, but Howard said a cat was making itself at home (snooping?) in the gap where the roof buckled, allowing a view of light through the gap. Susan, the home owner, hadn't yet wanted to access the attic area to assess the damage inside, but did have water in her basement to deal with as well.

Susan said she had been trying to save that elm, having a tree service regularly inject the roots to protect it from Dutch elm. Sad it repaid her by blowing over, but it sounds like she has good insurance. I don't know about the neighboring house. Tibby, the man of the house is often gone for work or National Guard (they're from Romania). He and his son are friendly, often visiting with Howard on the street, but his wife is more of a recluse. We only see her outside when she's feeding the wildlife, attracting them to "nest" in our rafters! :?

Two houses to the left of the tree in the photo, another boulevard tree broke off half of the upper branching limb and affects at least a third house, if not a fourth. It's hard to tell with all the leafy branches.

Mother Nature does tend to make more work for us home owners!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Yikes!! I hate it when trees fall on my house and car. (Said as though that happens every day!)

DJ is "Damon Joseph" though many of the contest entries were quite delightful! :wink:

I was supposed to be "Danny" but because I was born too late (three older sisters) my Aunt Jean prevailed upon my mother to give up that name. Thus I have a cousin Danny, and I'm stuck with Damon.

It's all good!

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Speaking of names...

My dad’s name was Donald N. Mehl. My name is Donald N. Mehl. Technically, I’m not a “junior” because our middle names are slightly different.

So, how did people keep us separate? I soon became known as “Donnie” by everyone who knew me. Oh...did I say how much I disliked that name?

Even to this day, and even though I am the 72+ year old, white haired, senior member of the “Mehl Clan”, all of my family including my sister, BIL, cousins, nieces, nephews, and all of their children continue to call me “Donnie.” I’ve never been able to make it go away.

To be addressed today as “great uncle Donnie” just doesn’t do it for me. Plain old “Don” works just fine for me now...as it would have back then.

A half century ago I should have legally changed my name to Zurk, or Torf, or Teek, or Zacc, or Xort, or some other less common name. Those names certainly have a mysterious ring to them, don’t you think?

Because I didn’t have the foresight to do that, now it’s “Here’s Donnieeeee!!!”

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Donnieee wrote:A half century ago I should have legally changed my name to Zurk, or Torf, or Teek, or Zacc, or Xort, or some other less common name.

Image I'm voting for Xort!!

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:43 pm

:lol: You're funny, Don!

I early on got stuck with the nickname "Eda." I did not like it, thinking it sounded old-world old-fashioned (it was what my Swedish grandpa called my grandma). What I wanted to be called was "Edy," which I thought sounded so cool and modern. But, nobody obliged. It was "Edythe" outside the home, and "Eda" at home.

Then one day when I was around 17, I heard my dad calling up the stairs so sweetly, "Eda!" It suddenly dawned on me that it was only the people that I knew loved me that called me by that name. It flipped my thinking 180 degrees.

So, Don, perhaps you might like your longtime nickname better, if you look at it the same way.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Edy wrote: :lol: You're funny, Don!

I early on got stuck with the nickname "Eda." I did not like it, thinking it sounded old-world old-fashioned (it was what my Swedish grandpa called my grandma). What I wanted to be called was "Edy," which I thought sounded so cool and modern. But, nobody obliged. It was "Edythe" outside the home, and "Eda" at home.

Then one day when I was around 17, I heard my dad calling up the stairs so sweetly, "Eda!" It suddenly dawned on me that it was only the people that I knew loved me that called me by that name. It flipped my thinking 180 degrees.

So, Don, perhaps you might like your longtime nickname better, if you look at it the same way.

Nope! They're trying very hard to annoy this old codger to death.

My proper name is already engraved on my tombstone. They're just pushing for the date. :?

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler