To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby JesusPuppy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:56 pm

RachelM wrote:I`m thankful that none of my children are as thrill seeking as I was.

Keep praying "Mother's Curse" doesn't take over, maybe they will seek their adventure in reading. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Shann

Postby Shann » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Oh man, I could tell all kinds of horror stories about Q! He had his first concussion at 18 months when he looked at me said bye bye then jumped off an 8 foot landing. That's how I met my new neighbor. Holding a very bloody baby and crying. Things just got worse from there. My MIL laughed and said it was pay-back for the trauma my husband caused, but my answer was I never did anything to you and I'm the one who has to deal with Q's bloody messes. Even now at almost 23, he wrecked his knee jumping into a mud puddle!

Rachel I thought it was one of two since they both were about OB and I was right. I used to try to read and comment on every one each week, but since I've been doing more and more editing jobs I haven't had as much time. I think reading and commenting on as many as I have is one of the things that have helped me improve so much. By trying to say at least 2 good things to every constructive comment, I discovered what does and doesn't work for me and then can apply it to my own work. At first I was nervous about leaving comments in the higher levels since I was a new writer, but then I realized I had been reading for years and that is who matters--the reader, not other writers (of course it goes without saying that following God's leading is the most important. Hmm I guess it doesn't go without saying seeing how I just said it, but well you all knew what I meant right/ This rambling is why I shouldn't write like I talk or think but then again this is typing not talking but again you know what I mean right?

Okay Mr. Bus-man since you listened to me when I told you to pop in (I'm still blown away by a man listening to me) I think you should pop in on a regular basis again!

Okay off to bed. I spent all day editing and my mind is ready to be numbed by TV and some knitting practice. Sleep tight and don't let the el-e-phants bite! :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:10 am

JesusPuppy wrote:
RachelM wrote:I`m thankful that none of my children are as thrill seeking as I was.

Keep praying "Mother's Curse" doesn't take over, maybe they will seek their adventure in reading. :mrgreen:

Totally! My 11 year old daughter is pretty wild, but no serious injuries or ER visits yet, so I am super thankful. I have 2 serious book worms in the bunch and that definitely keeps them out of trouble. :)
Shann wrote:Oh man, I could tell all kinds of horror stories about Q! He had his first concussion at 18 months when he looked at me said bye bye then jumped off an 8 foot landing. That's how I met my new neighbor. Holding a very bloody baby and crying. Things just got worse from there. My MIL laughed and said it was pay-back for the trauma my husband caused, but my answer was I never did anything to you and I'm the one who has to deal with Q's bloody messes. Even now at almost 23, he wrecked his knee jumping into a mud puddle!

Wow, that's crazy! I can relate though. I fell down the stairs twice in the first few months that we lived I this house. My husband gave me a stern lecture about being careful and I haven't had a tumble since (8 years.) I think part of the problem is a high pain tolerance, so I don't tend to learn from pain as well as most. :)

So Shann, do you edit for employment? Grammar rules and I have been fierce foes all of my life, but I've decided to face my nemesis and I am reading Grammar for Dummies. Five years ago this stuff would have been way over my head, but homeschooling has prepared me somewhat and I'm finally starting to get this stuff! I don't know how I managed to graduate on the honour roll and still not know the difference between a noun and a verb. I'm serious!
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:15 am

Well, I'm bummed now...something came up and my friend can't come. :cry: BUT, I will make the best of it and have a good time anyway with everyone who will be there. I also have extended family in Portland I'm hoping to hang with on Thursday.

Busy delivery last night, but good. I thought for a second that she would be a C-section, but thankfully the baby recovered and came out not too long after that. I kept them until morning, so I didn't have to rush with the bath and stuff, so she had a very nice recovery. The last two labor patients I had ended up with sections on the day shift, so it's great to have an optimal outcome. That said, I did my very best with the other two but the babies weren't going to fit no matter what I did, so I still felt like they were successful in their attempt at labor. The point is they weren't getting pushed into a section before being given a chance.

Tonight we went to the Friday night worship deal. Ryan got a video of me and Cassie playing "How Deep the Father's Love" but I can't find where he posted it. :? When I find the link I'll post it.

Hope y'all had a good week. Good to see you, Tim! Great job to those who placed last week. Maybe after the conference I'll be inspired to write again. :roll:

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:01 am

I'm sitting here typing with cold pizza hanging out of my mouth cause I have no where else to put it and I forgot what I was going to say...

OH, I remember!

When I was little I used to fall down and scrape and scratch and get "booboo's" all the time. My mom even called me Booboo. But I only ended up in the hospital once when I was little. :tongue
Dum Spiro Spero

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:19 pm

violin4jesus wrote:Busy delivery last night, but good. I thought for a second that she would be a C-section, but thankfully the baby recovered and came out not too long after that. I kept them until morning, so I didn't have to rush with the bath and stuff, so she had a very nice recovery. The last two labor patients I had ended up with sections on the day shift, so it's great to have an optimal outcome. That said, I did my very best with the other two but the babies weren't going to fit no matter what I did, so I still felt like they were successful in their attempt at labor. The point is they weren't getting pushed into a section before being given a chance.

I I'm glad mom and baby had a great outcome and are recovering. I know (from personal experience) that C-sections are so much harder to recover from. I'm glad that it is as safe as it is now though too. And it certainly does save lives when really needed.

Sorry that your friend can't make it. I wonder if I'll ever make it to the conference...

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:29 am

It's too bad you can't come this year, Rachel. It's going to be much further away the next 2, possibly 3 years. You can do the Google chat thing that Amy & Shari are setting up...see thread in the conference forum. And I still am open for a roommate Thursday & Friday night, just in case... :wink: Talk about Amy and I getting no sleep...if it was you and me, we'd talk birth and homeschooling all night!

Well, the Doctor Who improv thing was a dud. They actually doubled the price of the show, but since we had come all that way thinking it was one price, they gave it to us for the listed amount. Good thing. It definitely wasn't worth double, mostly because the actors weren't very good at improv. They did come up with a semi-coherent story that kept the theme well, and included appropriate elements of Doctor Who. Ryan had taken a class earlier this year which taught him the rules of improv, though, and he said they broke every single one! Eh. It was still fun, although kind of a pain to get out of L.A.

I was asked to play in church this morning, but it looks like I won't make it. It's already 3:30 and I'm still not very tired. We don't have evening service in the summer. :? I'm going to make a little something to eat, and go back to reading the books I got for Kylie. :mrgreen: I'm super excited to read them to her. Well, my mom says she's more interested in walking rather than sitting, but maybe she'll settle down for one story.

Night night. Have a good day in the Lord's house.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:09 am

Morning.

More rain.

Ummm... Yep. That's about it.

My back is killing, but not doing a fast enough job of it, so my shoulder decided to help out and popped out last night while I was working. Not fun. Not fun at all. But... I have less than a week before my vacation starts. :mrgreen:

Hummmm... I wonder if that fancy hotel where the conference will be has a hot tub..? :roll:

Re-Becky-Kiddo wrote:But I only ended up in the hospital once when I was little. :tongue

Yeah, but you made up for when you got older. :mrgreen:

JesusPuppy Profile

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am

And I scared everyone off again... :roll:

:sorry

JesusPuppy Profile

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:37 pm

RachelM wrote:I think part of the problem is a high pain tolerance, so I don't tend to learn from pain as well as most.

Okay, that's just funny right there. I don't know if you meant it to be, but I busted out a laugh as I read that.

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:12 pm

violin4jesus wrote:It's too bad you can't come this year, Rachel. It's going to be much further away the next 2, possibly 3 years. You can do the Google chat thing that Amy & Shari are setting up...see thread in the conference forum. And I still am open for a roommate Thursday & Friday night, just in case... :wink: Talk about Amy and I getting no sleep...if it was you and me, we'd talk birth and homeschooling all night!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be sleeping! I think part of my passion for birth is that it is so downright real. I'm not really one for polite conversations and surface relationships. I tend to thrive during hardships and I am drawn to people who are open and honest. Birth is so raw, it takes us to our limits (and beyond.) I love to be a part of that, to share in those sacred moments.

So what is your connection to homeschooling Leah? Were you homeschooled or do you homeschool?

DJGray wrote:
RachelM wrote:I think part of the problem is a high pain tolerance, so I don't tend to learn from pain as well as most.

Okay, that's just funny right there. I don't know if you meant it to be, but I busted out a laugh as I read that.

I didn't really mean it to be funny Damon, but I do tend to say bizarre things daily and I get plenty of chuckles and headshakes. :D

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:12 pm

A little later on today, I'm going to make my last post on my blog on MySpace. I can't come up with anything, nobody reads it anyhow, it's been what, 6 years, and even though I love cats and wish there were more pet-friendly rentals--the original purpose of the blog-- it seems like I'm just regurgitating what's already out there. I also wrote articles on pet care and humane matters, but since nobody goes to MySpace anymore, it's time to let it go.

I don't know if I'll do another blog right away, or take a break then go to another site with higher readership, or what. I'm open to suggestions.

At church they're going to have me take over the Thursday night Bible study I attend, we started out on the book of Hebrews, now we're studying the book "The Naked Gospel". I know my church is on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc., but at the moment I can't think of the exact addys; since our church's name is Sound Chapel, you could go to those sites I just mentioned and look for that name, if you want.

I'll let you know what I decide.

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:47 pm

Hey all just popping in to say Boo and scare everyone away so Pup won't get a complex! BOO!

Personally I'd take a planned C-section over vaginal delivery any day. The OB doc I used to work with though would yell at me if she heard me say it. Part of me did want to experience labor again and I went fairly quick with M. My first tiny contraction was around 7 am, but I never bothered to tell anyone because I was 2 weeks overdue and had many twinges were I thought oohh this is it, but it wasn't, though I never went to hospital with any of them. The contractions started to really hurt around 1 PM I had a doc appointment at 2 and didn't want to put my bag in the car because in the childbirth class they made a big deal about how people get to the hospital too soon, especially teens so I was bound and determined to not go until I had to.

Well I was 4 cm at the doctor's office and I planned on going home because we were told first time moms average a cm an hour and two hours pushing so I thought I had tons of time. But the doc insisted and I got to the hospital at 3:15 and M was born at 5:46 I was having pretty serious decels though they were variables it still dropped quite low. I pushed for a while and then they decided she needed to be born so I had a forceps delivery with a 4th degree episiotomy and 4th degree tears. Man that was sore and took longer to sew me up then the actual time at the hospital in labor. She also had a nuchal cord.

h and what an ugly baby she was! She looked like ET. I remember telling Mom they must have made a mistake. I had never seen a real newborn, I thought they came out looking like the Gerber baby! She was long and scrawny from being overdue, had scratch marks and bruises from the forceps and a reaction from the antibiotics they put in her eyes. She grew on me though! When I had Q I had to have a scheduled C-section because of my illness. I remember holding him and said Isn't he beautiful and my friend looked at me and raised her eyebrow and I said well I know he's ugly but he's beautiful to me. There really aren't too many beautiful newborns. I thought Lyd was quite pretty . She was the only one with hair and it stuck up everywhere and still does even now!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

RachelM

Postby RachelM » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Wow, Shann! That must have been absolutely miserable to have to recover from 4th degree tears and an episiotomy. At least where I live, forceps use has become very rare and they will almost always opt for a C-section over forceps. Is that true for where you work Leah?

Okay, you guys can skip this part. I'm going to share some birth stories. You've been warned. :)

My grandmother had an unplanned unassisted birth with her first child, my mom. The labour was and hour and a half from start to finish and my grandpa ran out the door to get help, so my grandmother stood up and caught her baby in her own hands. My mom had me (her first) in an hour and a half too, so I figured I could have a very fast first labour.

I was 19 when I had my daughter. I was incredibly fortunate to be able to have midwives. They had just been registered in B.C. and were covered by medical and had full hospital privledges. I had a 5 hour labour and caught my daughter with my own hands. (Unlike my grandmother, I had planned to catch my baby :) )

My next daughter was an out of hospital birth (a hotel room because there were no medical services on the island that I lived on) with midwives. The labour was an hour and a half and she was born with 1 push.

My twins were born 6 weeks early and everything was very different. My presenting baby was breech. I was okay with delivering breech because I felt that my body could handle that, but when I got to the hospital they found out that my son was a footling breech (coming out foot first) which has higher risks,so I ended up with an emergency C-section. They were seriously freaking out, because of my history of quick labours and because I was already 6 cm when I arrived at the hospital. (thankfully my water had broken first which warned me to head to the hospital. I only had two contractions on the way to the hospital and was already 6cm.) The anesthetic didn't work properly and I felt an immense amount of pain during the C-section and afterwards when they were sewing me up. Way, way, way more painful than labour!! My twins were taken to the NICU and I went into shock. It took me years to recover from that ordeal, but I'm grateful for the experience now. I feel that it helps me to be more empathetic to women that I work with as a doula who have had traumatic birth experiences.

My fifth baby was a very straight forward birth. I had 3 hour labour. I lived over an hour from the hospital and he was born 20 minutes after I got there.

My sixth baby was an in hospital water birth with midwives. Very cool! Again, I had a 3 hour labour. I walked in 20 minutes before I had him. They thought that I wasn't very far along because I was so calm during contractions, but I told them that it was very close and that we better fill up the birthing tub fast. I caught my baby Joel with my own hands in the water. So my first and last babies were delivered with my own hands. Ecstasy, bliss... {happy sigh}

I probably won't have any more babies, but I think about giving birth every day. I'm an addict, which is why I've gotten involved in birth work. There's nothing like it.

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:09 pm

I love heating your stories. I so miss OB. I hope when my girls have babies they will want me there. I had as way of calming any patient. I could always tell the ones who didn't go to labor classes.
Shann

Shann's Profile

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler