To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Comment Forum on FaithWriters most read article

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Comment Forum on FaithWriters most read article

Postby mikeedwards » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Hello FW,

In the August newsletter we will be asking for comments to this article on FaithWriters. It has been read over 111,000 times. Feel free to read it ahead of time and comment.

http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... p?id=82702

:thankssign
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Comment Forum on FaithWriters most read article

Postby lish1936 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:01 pm

The author writes a compelling case for his premise, but fails to prove any significant or definitive Biblical meaning in the number 13 from the text. I would be more likely to consider "13" biblically significant if there were additional examples from Scripture to further substantiate his claim. And I'd be happy to have someone shed light on additional examples.

I also find many of his thirteen "aspects of the promise" repetitive or similar in meaning, and could have been condensed into less than 13. For example:

1. The promise is always initiated by God...5. The number 13 always has the underlying fact that God determined it, said it... Very little difference in meaning, in my opinion.

I also question his statement that, " the number 13 is the number of (new) life." On what basis does he reach that conclusion? Anyone could also use 4,5, or 6 as the number for new life, because on those days God was busy really creating "new " life.

The number "13" may not mean evil, but the author has not proven there's a link between Abraham, God's promise, and the number "13" in my opinion.

Blessings,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mikeedwards » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:49 pm

Good comment Lillian,

This article will be in the August newsletter now due to space. Okay I admit it. I am just way to wordy and I ran out of space in July. Feel free to comment about this article though. Why has it been read so many times in your opinion?
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

swfdoc1

Postby swfdoc1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:48 pm

mikeedwards wrote:Why has it been read so many times in your opinion?

My theory is that the author, Stephen Gola, has a fairly significant web presence. As of this posting, searching for his name produces over 147,000 hits on Google. His FaithWriters profile is the 8th hit. Thus, it will display even for those whose Google search results display only 10 hits at a time. If you click on the profile link, the first article listed is the article you are inquiring about. So, many people probably click on it.

Three points of interest:

1. Gola's interpretation of the significance of the number 13, is not that of other biblical numerologists. So even assuming that this kind of biblical numerology is valid, he would have to address why 13 does not represent apostasy, etc. (Of course, He doesn't really "have to," but if he wants to convince people who think about these things, it seems wise to address why the majority view is wrong.)

2. Gola's main claim to fame—and therefore the main reason people would be googling him and finding his FaithWriters' profile—seems to be his teaching on divorce. From my perspective, his teaching is flagrantly (though not 100%) wrong.

3. When typing Gola's name into the google search box, google's first suggested autocomplete was "Stephen Gola false teacher" and several down the list was "Stephen Gola false prophet." Obviously, that does not PROVE anything (and I am not leveling any accusations), but it does give one pause considering how google generates its autocompletes.
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien

MaryAtkinsBrown
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby MaryAtkinsBrown » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:30 pm

I read some, but I need to go in a hurry. Next time you can post short at Mymathdone.com, but simple and understandable. :)
“Poetry is a matter of life, not just a matter of language.” 
~ Lucille Clifton

Return to The Water Cooler