To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Verna
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Verna » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Happy Father's Day to Don and Dub. When I was a child, I learned that God was love by the love my father demonstrated. His memory is precious.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:50 pm

A friend of our family was an older gentleman, a great guy and very overweight. One night he felt something crawling inside his pajamas with such speed he couldn't catch it. He finally rolled out of bed onto the floor and began slapping at himself, trying to catch whatever was crawling up and down his legs, all over his ample torso and under his arms. His wife leaned over the side of the bed staring, wondering if she should throw a pail of water on him or call 911. Finally, he grabbed the little animal which was stuck under his knee and maneuvered him out through the bottom of his pant leg. It looked very much like that little animal you all have been talking about. He released him out through the kitchen door and got into the shower. It seems the frightened little animal left his calling card on several parts of the pajamas and it wasn't a welcome sight. :lol:
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:17 pm

BeachGrandma, you should go on Last Comic Standing. You'd be a winner for sure, without any of the nasty language some comics think is funny. You sure know how to tell a story.

Which reminds me of this bit of story telling - here's a chuckle for the day for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TWU-BmDN3A

I wonder if the woman is for real, or part of the spoof.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

dub

Postby dub » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:07 am

Busy day, high humidity which means rain later. Took jeep to repair shop for ball joints. Now preparing cottage for onslaught of company. Relatives from Tennessee will arrive Thursday; grandkids just went home yesterday, so all the bedrooms have to be sanitized and made ready for the next shift of guests. Typical summer routine here in the swamp. Y'all have a wonderful in God's world.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 am

Edy wrote:

Which reminds me of this bit of story telling - here's a chuckle for the day for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TWU-BmDN3A

I wonder if the woman is for real, or part of the spoof.

Somehow, the advertisement slogan of Motel Six comes to mind.

"We'll keep the light on for ya"

:lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Verna

Postby Verna » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Dear Mariane and dear Edy, how you make me laugh! Edy, I thought of you today when I had my prayer time for our church. Among the monthly lists of things to pray for, I have a copy of the hymn "The Church's One Foundation," and at the bottom is the source--The Lutheran Hymnal.

For any who listen to Back to the Bible on the radio, our pastor, Dr. John Munro, is going to be the new pastor for the program. He will still be our pastor and can tape the sermons from home. He is a wonderful Bible teacher. He does some times preach about Job--which he pronounces like you work occupation.

We have an ongoing battle with squirrels trying to get on our bird feeders. Leon put the baffle up high, and they jumped from a juniper bush to the baffle and sat on it comfortably to scoop out the feeder. Frustrated, Leon took the feeder with a porch perch for the cardinals down yesterday, and one squirrel this morning climbed into the wire cage bird feeder. When Leon went out to shoo him away, poor fellow (or girl) couldn't get out of the feeder though he frantically tried. Finally he squeezed through one of the little places for birds to get in. Leon put other feeder back up and we haven't seen the squirrels on it YET. I told him yesterday the score was squirrel-100, Leon, 999.
Verna

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Ahhh yes! The battle of the squirrels vs humans vs bird feeders is a struggle (and fun too!). The furry, four legged critters will often win. They are creative, persistant, and always willing to chow down the bird's dinner.

Bird feeders need to be placed in a wide open space with nothing climbable for a distance of at least 10-12 feet beside or above the feeder. Also, I have found that a galvanized metal pipe works best as the support pole, but it must have a large, loose-fitting, slideable metal funnel shaped baffle around the pole, and with a clamp fastened to the pole for adjusting the desired baffle height. Squirrels have trouble keeping a grip on the metal pole and metal, loose-fitting baffle.

At one time I had a bird feeder that looked like a covered bridge. It had a roof and was open on both ends. The day came when I saw a squirrel's rear end and tail protruding out from one end. I quietly tip-toed over to the feeder and swatted the squirrel on the butt.

That critter launched out of the "covered bridge" tunnel like a super-charged cannon ball. It was air-borne for at least thirty feet before paws touched solid ground. What a rude way to have dinner interrupted! By the way, I never saw that squirrel again. It probably had a heart attack, or maybe it choked on a mouth-full of bird seed.

Side note: Keep bird feeders at least 50 feet away from the house, otherwise, you will have mice in your house.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

dub

Postby dub » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:54 am

Our dogs chase the squirrels, it seems the squirrels know how to tease the mutts. The tiny animals sit in the middle of the yard and chatter, the dogs run out of the house (barking), the squirrels wait until the dogs hit the deck stairs, then the squirrels turn and run up the fence and up a tree, seemingly laughing at the frustrated dogs.

Y'all enjoy this day that the Lord hath made.

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:45 am

Oh me! The Squirrels. We decided to get another cage with smaller places for the squirrels to try to get through. We put the feeder back out that they found a way to, and one big fella has been on there for about a half hour. We're just going to let him clean it out before we clean it up and put it away. Alas! In a town home we don't have all that wide-open space, Don. Our bird feeder is surrounded by huge juniper bushes that they leap from. Leon has trimmed them back as far as he can go without damaging them. They do look cute poking their heads out to see where to jump from, and sometimes getting lost in the shrubs. If I clap my hands at them, they run up the huge trees at the top of the hill and fuss at me.
Verna

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:37 am

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLiasdJeoo

Have your bird feeder and discouraged squirrels!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:16 am

Thanks Edy
and wishes for a blessed day for all my friends on the porch!
Verna

dub

Postby dub » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:37 pm

Misty, rainy, Wednesday. Miss P is headed to Wilmington for a few days. Family arrives on Friday. Working on WIP with more typos than flies on roadkill. The beat goes on in the swamp. I pray the Lord's blessing for everyone on the porch today.

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:56 pm

dub wrote:The beat goes on in the swamp.

"Lah dee dah dee dee"
"Lah dee dah dee dah"

Image Image Image

Edy

Postby Edy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:47 pm

I spy a newbie on the Porch! Howdy, DJ, and welcome. The porch looks rather empty, right now (folks off enjoying the sunshine, I guess), but when BeachGrandma shows up, I'm sure she'll have a rocker all ready for you to come and "set a spell."

We have friends in Washington state. And, I have a cousin or two in either Seattle or Spokane (for some reason, I cannot keep the two names straight). Perhaps you have crossed paths. :thumbs
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

DJGray
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby DJGray » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Edy wrote:We have friends in Washington state. And, I have a cousin or two in either Seattle or Spokane (for some reason, I cannot keep the two names straight). Perhaps you have crossed paths. :thumbs

Actually, yes. We had lunch last week. Image

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler