Writing Software

Find out about any writing contests. Share freelance writing opportunities, writing tips and tricks, as well as your favorite books and software for writers. Share the love.

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

Bluecloud
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Writing Software

Post by Bluecloud »

Just out of curiosity, who here uses writing software and if so which ones?

For me, I use yWriter5. It’s free to download and a very powerful tool. Based on my searches, it seems there aren’t many writing software out there which is odd. All the software out there and they’ve limited us writers to just a handful. The ones I have tried are horrible. The problem is finding a software that will meet ones work/personality.
Shann

Re: Writing Software

Post by Shann »

My FIL uses one, but English isn't his first language so I can understand the use for him. He tried to get me excited about it, but I guess I just don't understand the point of it. The spell and grammar check on word processors are wrong more often than not. What is it that you like about this software and what does it do exactly?
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
Bluecloud
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Bluecloud »

Technically, a writer can write without novel software. Heck, they can even write without a computer. The point of writing software is to make it easier in keeping track of things, especially big projects like novels. Most novel software (the good ones) will keep track of writing notes, projects ideas, pages of characters descriptions, times and events, locations, research, graphs, storyboards, chapters, pictures of characters/locations, and depending on the software it could do much more. All this makes it convenient because everything is in one area at ones fingertips.

For me, I just need the basics such as keeping track of chapters, character descriptions, storyboards, and plenty of places to write notes in.

I didn’t start using writing software until I started a novel and it’s helped out a lot. :D
WriterFearNot
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by WriterFearNot »

Bluecloud wrote:Technically, a writer can write without novel software. Heck, they can even write without a computer. The point of writing software is to make it easier in keeping track of things, especially big projects like novels. Most novel software (the good ones) will keep track of writing notes, projects ideas, pages of characters descriptions, times and events, locations, research, graphs, storyboards, chapters, pictures of characters/locations, and depending on the software it could do much more. All this makes it convenient because everything is in one area at ones fingertips.

For me, I just need the basics such as keeping track of chapters, character descriptions, storyboards, and plenty of places to write notes in.

I didn’t start using writing software until I started a novel and it’s helped out a lot. :D
I started using Scrivener about a year ago and I love it. It has all of the features you mentioned and it is easy to import and export data. I like having all my chapters separated by files, but still in one place, where I can move, expand, cut, edit, mix, and mash up at will. I can't imagine writing a novel in a regular word processor.
RachelM
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by RachelM »

Bluecloud wrote:Technically, a writer can write without novel software. Heck, they can even write without a computer. The point of writing software is to make it easier in keeping track of things, especially big projects like novels. Most novel software (the good ones) will keep track of writing notes, projects ideas, pages of characters descriptions, times and events, locations, research, graphs, storyboards, chapters, pictures of characters/locations, and depending on the software it could do much more. All this makes it convenient because everything is in one area at ones fingertips.
Thank you for the info! I really couldn't see the benefit to writing software either, but now that you have laid out several reasons, I can see that it really could be useful in organizing a novel. I need to get re-writing a novel that I wrote several years ago and I might be trying that out. :)
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile
Pilgrim Hardy
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Pilgrim Hardy »

Hi! So far I have had only horrible experiences with writing/graphics ware. I'm a "crossover" in that I write AND create my own covers! (Bad combination!) I tried MS Word Works, it's a nightmare. Open Office - has issues as well. For graphics I tried MS Paint (it came with the PC) and GimpShop. There were a few others I can't even remember...It's not that I want to do complicated stuff, in fact, I have to admit that I'm a PC-handicapped person, but there should be something out to accommodate even someone like me! The other problem is our financial situation: When you live on $800.- a month (for 2) you can't afford fancy programs or a new PC. Any advice? (It's hard to find anyone honest who doesn't have an agenda which usually involves money) Thanks to anyone who responds!
Shann

Post by Shann »

I've never user any of that stuff. I just write on Word. I've edited for some who have used the templates and fancy programs and have run into weird headaches. I love that you create your own covers. Have you looked into Create Space who has free templates and such?

Hopefully someone more experienced in it will come along, but I say try using Word first. (I am absolutely not a computer person. It's a good thing I married a computer geek or I probably would have thrown computer out of the window.)
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
Pilgrim Hardy
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Pilgrim Hardy »

Same here, Shann, We have 3 PCs by now, and all have issues! Re. creating own covers: As an artist I do not need any templates, I draw or paint on "real" media (paper, canvas), then scan it into the PC...and then the headache starts! In order to send anything to a printing company, it has to be in a certain specific format. If we had more $$$ we'd let them do the final draft and all that, but any extra $100.- means we have to squeeze something else to death. Is "starving artist" a profession?
BellaHamilton
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by BellaHamilton »

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience! Now, I'd like to try more writing tools :D
As for me, I usually use FocusWriter that is free and also Scribus.

Hope it works!
Best regards,
Bella
writer&editor
at site

Return to “Contests, Writing Tips, Tools, and Freelance Opportunities”