To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:08 am

My Memorial Day poppies are still in the bud stage. I think our cold late Spring is to blame for delayed flowering, and the birds probably found a warmer place to shelter. Rochester (Mayo Clinic) has birds that winter there, in southern Minnesota. I think the river that flows through town is kept from freezing by some hot spring - but don't quote me on the hot spring, because my memory is foggy. But, I do know geese winter there, because when my brother lived in Rochester, his little two year old boy warned us about stepping in the "geese poop!"
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

dub

Postby dub » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:39 am

Hey Don, we are devotees to Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives ... indeed we have sent email to Guy (the host) urging him to visit 1) Big Oak Drive-in on Atlantic Beach, and 2) Bretts on Carolina Beach.

Other notes. Supposed to be stupid hot for the next two or three days, the only people truly happy are the electric company accountants. Finally. I got yard work finished yesterday, and had planned to work on the patio construction, but was interrupted by heavy downpours, today I have too many errands to start/continue a major project, so the next opportunity to break a sweat digging and raking will probably be this weekend. I do NOT plan in venturing outside of the cottage when the temps are near 100F. The dogs and I will be camping on an air-conditioning vent with portable fans blowing on us.

That said, I pray y'all have a glorious day in God's world.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 am

Edy, you're the only person I ever knew who grew poppies. It was easily my dad's favorite flower and he'd buy us each a red paper poppy to wear in the Memorial Day parade every year. I would hold his hand as we marched the whole parade route in Waverly, NY (I probably was the only child walking with the veterans but I wanted to march so badly that Daddy always let me). I was so proud waving the flag to the crowds of people who lined both sides of the parade route, then we'd march to the tomb of the unknown soldier, a big wreath would be placed, and finally to the 3 cemeteries where American flags were placed on every veteran's grave. In the evening, hundreds would gather at the VFW field for a picnic, a band concert and fireworks. What a day it was! I'm astonished that so little attention is given to Memorial Day now. It's barely mentioned here in North Carolina and my friends in Waverly, NY tell me they still have the parade every year but it's very poorly attended. I'm sure it's because we haven't been involved in a massive war in a long time and most people now have no connection personally with it except some aging photographs of loved ones who served.

I went looking on Google a little while ago to find the poem Daddy always recited, "In Flanders Field, the poppies grow..." and ended up viewing several short videos about Flanders Field. I sat here and cried the whole time. We forget so easily. The movies have made the wars glamorous but they were anything but beautiful; in fact, it was hard to get anyone from World War I or 2 to even talk about those wars, they were so unspeakably terrible at every level.

Anyway, here are 2 very short video you might like to look at. God bless those who served, those who died and those families who suffered back home waiting, waiting, waiting and praying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BlOkpdkg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkKEynoTwp8
"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

dub

Postby dub » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:56 am

When Memorial day was first recognized, I think 1868, the South refused to take part, recognizing war dead on different days. Even in 1970 when Congress enacted a holiday, many
Southern States did not comply although NC officially recognized Memorial Day after 1970, South Carolina did not, electing instead to recognize Memorial day on Jeff Davis birthday - I think that has since been changed; however, many NC folks, right or wrong, still think of Memorial Day as a Union forced holiday. My dates may be off a little, but the history is correct.

My two cents.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Shame on them!
"O Jesus, Jesus, dearest Lord, forgive me if I say
For very love, thy sacred name, a thousand times a day.
O Jesus, Lord, with me abide; I rest in Thee whate'er betide.
Thy gracious smile is my reward. I love, I love Thee, Lord.

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:14 pm

dub wrote:Hey Don, we are devotees to Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives ... indeed we have sent email to Guy (the host) urging him to visit 1) Big Oak Drive-in on Atlantic Beach, and 2) Bretts on Carolina Beach.

I get a chuckle out of that guy chowing down that great (and some not so great) food from all over the country. He was interviewed recently on Fox News (?) and said he only eats a couple of bites, then leaves. If he ate it all he wouldn't fit inside the little red convertible he uses at every location. The guy is a riot! :lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:20 pm

Late yesterday afternoon I decided to do some fishing from the end of my dock. I had not done that for over three years. I simply enjoy fishing, but most fish caught are tossed back into the lake so they might live to fight another day.

Within an hour I had caught and released several fish. Among them were a walleye, three largemouth bass, and two chunky bluegills. However, one of the bass suffered injuries so extensive it would not survive.

After reeling the bass near to the end the dock, in the clear water I spotted a huge northern pike cruising silently like a submarine. The pike was quickly closing in behind the bass as it struggled for freedom. Just as I was about to lift my catch from the water, the pike suddenly and viciously attacked my two pound bass. With a death grip its toothy jaws clamped around the sides of the helpless bass. I'm sure that visions of a tasty dinner were dancing through that pike's pea-sized brain.

However, when the perpetrator felt the resistance from my fishing line, it released its prey and quickly left the crime scene. A brief examination of the bass revealed that the pike’s razor sharp teeth had ripped the flesh away from both sides of my fish. The wounds were deep and fatal.

Then, I began to think about that bass living in a world where its existence requires that it constantly be on high alert status for predators willing and able to destroy it at any time. Just imagine if we lived in such a world!

But wait! We do! Predators are all around us. If we don’t remain vigilant, they will attempt to tear away our means of survival – and even steal our eternal soul.

The Bible teaches that very thing. It warns that the devil is lurking nearby, and is always attempting to attack us in ways and at times we do not expect. If we are not watchful and prepared, his efforts will surely succeed.

1 Peter 5:8 KJV
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

We are surrounded on all sides by the evil of this world - often presented using clever words from seemingly God-fearing men. Do not be deceived, for the spiritual attacks we face each day are battles for our very soul.

I fear that many have been deceived, and are being blindly led down the wide road that Satan's world offers to them. They have been hooked by the lies used to lure them away from the Lord. Many are trapped in the devil’s net and do not realize it. Does that describe you? Do you even know?

We must hold on tight to that which is good, but it cannot be done alone. It is only through the power of God's Word...prayer...and a personal relationship with Him, that we can stand firm and be strengthened to guard our hearts and thoughts.

Ephesians 6:11-12 KJV
Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

With God leading the way, the victory is ours...for we have His sure promise that the devil will flee from us.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:26 pm

The poppies came with the house, BeachGrandma. I bought it cheap (from an estate) in winter only to discover in the spring the lovely legacy left by the former owners (my house came with a history I'll have to relate some slow day). First it was crocus poking up through the late snow, then tulips and iris and lilac and poppy and, my favorite, PEONIES, in white, pink and maroon. The aroma of white and pink is what Heaven will smell like, I'm certain!

Okay, who can tell me what this little creature might be?
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Here's another view of these "pocket pets."

They come in a variety of colors:

No, it isn't a rat nor a squirrel....
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:Edy, you're the only person I ever knew who grew poppies. It was easily my dad's favorite flower and he'd buy us each a red paper poppy to wear in the Memorial Day parade every year. I would hold his hand as we marched the whole parade route in Waverly, NY (I probably was the only child walking with the veterans but I wanted to march so badly that Daddy always let me). I was so proud waving the flag to the crowds of people who lined both sides of the parade route, then we'd march to the tomb of the unknown soldier, a big wreath would be placed, and finally to the 3 cemeteries where American flags were placed on every veteran's grave. In the evening, hundreds would gather at the VFW field for a picnic, a band concert and fireworks. What a day it was! I'm astonished that so little attention is given to Memorial Day now. It's barely mentioned here in North Carolina and my friends in Waverly, NY tell me they still have the parade every year but it's very poorly attended. I'm sure it's because we haven't been involved in a massive war in a long time and most people now have no connection personally with it except some aging photographs of loved ones who served.

I went looking on Google a little while ago to find the poem Daddy always recited, "In Flanders Field, the poppies grow..." and ended up viewing several short videos about Flanders Field. I sat here and cried the whole time. We forget so easily. The movies have made the wars glamorous but they were anything but beautiful; in fact, it was hard to get anyone from World War I or 2 to even talk about those wars, they were so unspeakably terrible at every level.

Anyway, here are 2 very short video you might like to look at. God bless those who served, those who died and those families who suffered back home waiting, waiting, waiting and praying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BlOkpdkg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkKEynoTwp8

I'm with you, Mariane! Those are such moving videos (isn't it amazing the way we can find most anything on the internet?)! The words remind me of this stanza from one of my favorite old hymns, For All The Saints:

5 And when the fight is fierce, the warfare long,
Steals on the ear the distant triumph song,
And hearts are brave again, and arms are strong.
Alleluia! Alleluia!

I cannot sing that hymn and those lines with dry eyes.

http://www.hymnary.org/text/for_all_the ... eir_labors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGzP89x7_rM
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:10 pm

dub wrote:When Memorial day was first recognized, I think 1868, the South refused to take part, recognizing war dead on different days. Even in 1970 when Congress enacted a holiday, many Southern States did not comply although NC officially recognized Memorial Day after 1970, South Carolina did not, electing instead to recognize Memorial day on Jeff Davis birthday - I think that has since been changed; however, many NC folks, right or wrong, still think of Memorial Day as a Union forced holiday. My dates may be off a little, but the history is correct.

My two cents.

Dub, that is interesting because I am sure that I heard or read somewhere that Memorial Day was actually started in the South by Confederate woman and then adopted by the North. I looked it up so see if I was right and http://www.usmemorialday.org says "There is also evidence that organized women's groups in the South were decorating graves before the end of the Civil War: a hymn published in 1867, "Kneel Where Our Loves are Sleeping" by Nella L. Sweet carried the dedication "To The Ladies of the South who are Decorating the Graves of the Confederate Dead." The website latter gives the 1868 date as Memorial Day first being declared.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

dub

Postby dub » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:33 am

Yeah Joanney, good info. I had heard that too. Though I believe the dates were different from the Northern establishment. Its the ol' if we think of it, it is a good thing, but if they think of it, it is bad.

Gonna get stupid hot today and I have a lot of running around to do. I have to go to the permit office to pay for a permit to put a deck on my own property; then I have to go to the cable company and return a bad HD box. Additionally, I teach T'ai Chi at church at 9:30a. And, I have a prayer breakfast in a few minutes. I think when I get home I may join the dogs on top of an air-conditioning vent.

Verna

Postby Verna » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Standing here--waving a flag at everyone to celebrate Flag Day! Thankful for the liberties we have and pray our nation returns to the strength with which was founded.

Our son came and took us out for Father's Day. Any day I can hug one of my kids or someone in their families is a good day!

Edy, the first little critter was cuter, but I can't say I want either of those in my pocket.

Hope you all have a blessed weekend.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:48 pm

While my hubby seems to know everything, no matter how obscure, I'd never heard of this little critter until a couple days ago. Here's another hint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Ns6 ... =endscreen

Well, actually more than a hint. :P

They're cute, but I think I'd prefer a bird.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:28 pm

It's a dwarf, wide-eyed flying squirrel.

So there! The mystery is solved! 8)

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler