To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

BeachGrandma
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Carol still cannot post anything on the Porch but she can read what's here. Here's the latest news from her that she asked me to post.

Just wanted you to know I'm alive and kicking! The house is sooo quiet now. Having two is a lot different than having eight in every way. The amount of food and dishes just seemed to multiply every time I turned around, but my daughter and her husband were a HUGE help! We got the leaks in the ceiling repaired and they discovered some major roof damage that had been done. In addition they did some major landscaping work and my deck is covered with beautiful planters of flowers, artfully arranged too. Unfortunately they went home with poison ivy.

Marty fell asleep at the table after they left today...they worked so hard.

Loved the wedding pictures and my mouth is watering for the pies!

So glad you didn't have any major damage from that terrible storm system, Allison. I heard that the 2.6 mike wide tornado in OK was the largest in recorded history! And winds up to 295 mph. Amazing! That area has been hit so hard. We've just gotten lots of rain and the wind took off all the blooms on our recently planted Knockout rose bushes.

I'm still locked out of the forum. I can read but not write.

Mariane, I had not heard about your fall. Are you okay? Any lasting effects?
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

dub

Postby dub » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:55 am

Morning gang. Coastal NC preparing for Tropical Storm Andrea, first named storm of the year. Supposed to be a rain event, which my weeds will be thankful for. Actually, I put in 10 new boxwoods, and several Azalea plants, as long as there's no flooding, the extra water will do them good.

Y'all have a great day celebrating God's word.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:38 am

:sofa Dub, "hurricane" is a bad word, isn't it? So is the amount of insurance we had to pay this week for just flood insurance alone. I keep thinking we're overdue for something but pray it continues to escape us here in NC.

When you come to think of it, are there any states that aren't vulnerable to Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Volcano Eruptions, Snow drifts,Tsunamis', Tornadoes, Thunderstorms, Lightning strikes, Blizzards, Landslides, Ice storms, Rock slides, Droughts, Avalanches, Fires, Floods, and Sandstorms?

Did I leave anything out? Just curious about whether there is a really safe state to live in.

:sofa :shocked :orangeyes :seeingstars
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Did you forget sink-holes, or whatever those cave-ins are called? :wink:

I'd sure rather live inland and prepare for a "land hurricane" aka blizzard than live on the coast and worry about being washed out to sea! One could be dead either way (the 1940 Armistice Day blizzard was just such a tragedy), but in a blizzard bodies could be recovered come Spring, at least.

How interesting! We're having school, this morning, with geography and history lessons. :lol:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dvn/?n=armistice_day_blizzard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QccI2GeLvk

This is fun! What's our next class?
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Hmmm...I don't remember the Armistice Day blizzard.

Wait! I wasn't here yet. I arrived on the scene six days too late to witness the drifting snow. I was snug and warm elsewhere. :lol:

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:03 pm

I wasn't planning on a medical lesson, but I just got a phone call from my sister. Our brother Phil just had an MRI because of back pain. He was told he has a large abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). A dissecting AAA is one condition to rule out when someone presents with a chief complaint of back pain. I don't know if his is dissecting, or not, but that can be a life threatening situation, as the weakened aorta wall can rupture.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictio ... g+aneurysm

The condition tends to be familial, and we have it on both sides of the family. Both of my doctor brothers have had surgical repairs, after one of them accidently discovered his own AAA using an ultrasound on his own abdomen for practice! Neither of them had any symptoms.

Since my brother Phil tends to trust that God will heal him directly, without medical intervention, we're praying he recognizes and responds to the Lord's direction for healing. Thanks for your prayers!
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Praying for your brother, Edy. Hope you don't share the familial problem!

Mariane and Dub--hope you'll be safe from the storms. --all of us, as a matter of fact.

Good to hear from you Carol. I miss you.

Don, I haven't tried the recipe yet, but it sounds so good.

I think Allison has set out to be on EC every time this quarter! Congratulations again, Girl!

IHOP has their red velvet pancakes on the menu again! I'm a happy camper today!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:12 pm

BeachGrandma wrote:
Carol still cannot post anything on the Porch but she can read what's here. Here's the latest news from her that she asked me to post.

I would imagine that she remembers there are different sets of passwords/usernames needed for general FW and for the FW forum. Each must be entered correctly in the right place. Also, the letters are case sensitive.

Maybe she needs to completely erase her password/username entries in general FW and start over with that one. Then, go on to the forum password/username entries.

Just a thought...

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

dub

Postby dub » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:31 am

Pumped 3.5 inches off the vinyl pond at 5:30a, so far the TS is just a weak rain event. Morning light reveals no wind damage. I guess Friday will progress as usual. Y'all have a great day in God's world.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:29 pm

I don't know why this came to mind today, but I'll ask this question:

Have you ever had any scary moments on an airline flight?

In past years I did a lot of flying for business purposes and also extensive vacations. Two or three of the business flights could be best described as "white-knuckle-arm-rest-gripping" experiences.

Event #1 took place in the late 1960's when I needed to fly from Minneapolis to Denver. The big Western Boeing 707 took off normally, but then, slowed to circle numerous times over nearby farmland. While circling, I heard repeated mechanical groaning sounds plus heavy clunking and scraping noises.

After about 20 minutes, the pilot announced that the landing gear was stuck in a partially retracted position. He said they would try to lower it manually and return to Mpls. The co-pilot came into the passenger cabin and removed a large piece of floor carpeting from the aisle. Then, after un-bolting an access panel, he lowered a long hand-crank tool down through the access hole and began to turn the crank handle attempting to manually lower the landing gear.

After the crank wouldn't turn any more, we flew back to the airport. All aircraft left the area while we flew low over the tower so the underside could be quickly examined. The gear appeared to be fully down, but was it locked? There was no way to know for sure.

All passengers assumed the crash position as we came in for the landing. When we got very close to touching down, I quickly looked up to peek out the window. It became even more exciting when I saw numerous fire trucks racing along beside our plane as it landed.

Well, the gear held, and I took the same plane to Denver the next day after they repaired a major leak in the hydraulic tank.

~ ~ ~

Event #2 happened in the early 1980's. Do you all remember the passenger plane that crashed into the river while on its approach into Washington National Airport?

Well, I was on my way to Wash. D.C. on that day. My plane was following closely behind the one that crashed, and was the next one to land. I knew there was something wrong when our approach was aborted, and we suddenly went into a steep climb. I recall looking out the window, but didn't see the crash below us because it was snowing heavily.

Instead of being diverted to another airport, we returned to Mpls. On the way back, the pilot explained the problem, and that he had a bird's eye view of the crash as it happened.

~ ~ ~

There are a couple more of them, but enough for now.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:58 am

There are four states that have very few earthquakes, FL and SD are two, don't remember the others, but sorry, the U.S. has actually the worst weather in the world. Now, if you want the best climate in the U.S., there's San Diego, CA. But face it, this is the way the world is, and it's not going to be perfect and free of hazards until Jesus returns.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:44 am

deejay wrote:There are four states that have very few earthquakes, FL and SD are two, don't remember the others, but sorry, the U.S. has actually the worst weather in the world. Now, if you want the best climate in the U.S., there's San Diego, CA. But face it, this is the way the world is, and it's not going to be perfect and free of hazards until Jesus returns.

I understand that my state of MN has had a few very small earthquakes. However, they were probably too small for anyone to notice.

Over the years I have often visited "earthquake territory" places in this country where they are common, but have never experienced one there either.

The closest thing resembling an earthquake at my house is when my crazy dog decides to run top speed through the hallway. Her thundering paw-beats set off the door bell chimes. :lol:

By the way, I think there was a 3.0 EQ near Coleman, SD about 40 years ago. That is about 25 miles from the little SD town where I was born and raised.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:41 am

No airplane flight problems (haven't flown on a plane but about a half dozen times) and no earthquakes that I'm aware of, but in these times, one never knows. I was awake for Hurricane Hugo to come blasting through where we lived, but our house wasn't damaged. There was a great deal of debris, but with underground wires, we had power after several days in our neighborhood--not so in most of the surrounding area. One of our pine trees did fall on a neighbor's house. I have seen, too, the devastation of tornadoes several places not too far from where we lived. I'm thankful for the ultimate shelter from all of life's storms that we have in the Lord.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:36 am

Verna wrote:No airplane flight problems (haven't flown on a plane but about a half dozen times) and no earthquakes that I'm aware of, but in these times, one never knows. I was awake for Hurricane Hugo to come blasting through where we lived, but our house wasn't damaged. There was a great deal of debris, but with underground wires, we had power after several days in our neighborhood--not so in most of the surrounding area. One of our pine trees did fall on a neighbor's house. I have seen, too, the devastation of tornadoes several places not too far from where we lived. I'm thankful for the ultimate shelter from all of life's storms that we have in the Lord.

Amen, Verna! I just wrote two little stories about bad plane trips, highlighted the entire post to copy before going to preview to be sure I wouldn't lose anything......and hit "paste" by mistake instead of "copy." Lost it all, and I'm too discouraged to generate the post all over again. :cry: You'd think I'd learn!

What I began writing was that I held on for dear life to the scripture "Underneath are the Everlasting Arms!" during my worst plane experience.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Carole L

Postby Carole L » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:17 pm

DaaJay, s cal has mudslides and fires!

On the way to TX for a funeral.

Going to stop in Dallas to see GD's ballet recital with Dallas Ballet Co. She's only 13!!!
Carole

Proud to be a 500 member.
I don't know the master plan, but I know the Master has a plan.

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=34113

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler