To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Green Leaves
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Green Leaves » Thu May 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Help! I've fallen in a hole and can't get out! :wink:

I don't know where the days have gone. I've been trying to get a lot of sorting out and organizing done...a little every day. What a mess! Just the file cabinets took me lots of days. But knowing one day when Marty retires, we will most likely move back in our kids' vicinity, I know we need to downsize...AGAIN.

Our property, including the pond, is almost more than Marty can handle any more. But our grandson recently lost his job and is going to stay a couple days to help get some things done. Mostly landscaping stuff. Bushes to replace, trimming, and mulching. It's been in the 80s all week. It would be nice if we had cooler weather for the next couple of days. Have to go shopping tonight to get some plants to replace some which have not done well.

Have I missed a post from Laurie? I haven't heard how she is doing since her surgery.

Don, that's quite a job you have. I too have been going through my closets and have given away several bags of clothes. For a while my weight kept changing. I finally decided I better hang on to all my sizes until my weight stabilized. Now I'm donating clothes to a prison ministry too.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

dub

Postby dub » Fri May 17, 2013 6:26 am

Cloudy skies, rain coming in, but its still a beautiful Carolina morning. Headed to son's house in Wilmington later today. Big family get together. Y'all have a wonderful weekend praising the Lord.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri May 17, 2013 11:54 am

I need advice.

I'm in the process of changing doctors, something I've been thinking about for awhile. I have sensed that my doctor and his staff have cooled toward me and for no reason, except that they might be trying to get rid of all Medicare patients. I've been going to him for 13 years, ever since we retired at the beach, so this will be a big change for me. But I've noticed they don't return my calls promptly any more (sometimes waiting as long as 3 days), are negligent about refilling my prescriptions, and last week when my feet were so swollen from arthritis and I needed shots in my hips, the girl said my doctor was busy for 3 weeks. I couldn't believe it. I knew she was lying but I thanked her and hung up. When I finally called back to make an appointment for 3 weeks hence, someone else got on the phone and said they would see me yesterday at 3:30. I decided to go. The final blow was yesterday when just before leaving his office, my doctor said, "I want to talk to you about cancelling your 3 months' appointment with me in March, stating that "you didn't need it." I was shocked. Thankfully, I had my little notebook with an appointment calendar in my purse. I showed him (and asked him to look at his laptop computer) that I had an appointment in March as he said, but that I had come 2 weeks early because the pain in my hands was so bad. When I signed out, the appointment secretary said "You have another appointment in 2 weeks but since you were here today for your check-up and shots, the doctor won't need to see you for 3 more months. She said she would cancel the appointment which was scheduled for two weeks. When I told that to the doctor, he got a little red in the face but didn't say anything. We parted amicably but I knew then I wouldn't be back.

I can't prove it's because of Medicare but it wouldn't surprise me. Besides, now I've lost confidence in him and his staff so I've made an appointment with another doctor for Monday afternoon. I wonder if, when I write to my doctor thanking him for his care, and when I ask for my records to be transferred to my new doctor, what kind of P.S. my old doctor will add to the transfer. My uncle was a heart surgeon before he died and he told me once, that doctors have a way of saying something in code for patients who transfer to another doctor. I checked Google to see if there was anything about this and there were pages and pages about it. Here is one excerpt:

A report in the New York Times corroborates this phenomenon.

Rumors of secret codes posted to a patient's chart by providers, signifying that the patient is difficult, turn out to be true. There may be a notation in the patient's record that is as simple as PITA (pain in the "backside") or "GOMER" ("get out of my emergency room".) One former healthcare worker reported that her office used a real ICD code in patients' records: 569.42, indicating anal or rectal pain. Others reported additional codes that would indicate the patient was a problem.

I don't want to seem paranoid about this but at my age and with my health problems, I need to start off with good feelings from my doctor. The sad thing is that I always thought I DID have a good relationship with my former doctor. I can't help but wonder, though, it the new ObamaCare with all its ramifications has somehow found its way into my doctor's office. It's true that Medicare is VERY slow in reimbursing physicians, but still it's the patient who feels the heat. Now that insurance is expected to go up with BlueCross and BlueShield from 100% -400%, this will hit us hard. John's insurance is taken care of by the school system/state plan because he taught longer than I did, but my insurance for me is an out-of-the pocket expense of $550 per month. Imagine what the new insurance rates will do to that figure.

Have you all had any experiences that might be helpful to me now, such as whether I am required to transfer my medical records to the new doctor or could I just tell him I'd rather not. There is nothing at all in them that would concern a new doctor; it's the P.S. that I have concerns about.
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

Joanney

Postby Joanney » Fri May 17, 2013 12:56 pm

Mariane, I do not have any advice for you on the doctor issue, other than perhaps honesty with the new doctor about why you are leaving before he can even look at the records. If your new doctor is a man of integrity and you tell him beforehand that you felt their attitude towards you had changed for no fault of your own, he may recognize the codes, if any, for what they are. (Okay, I will come out of my ideal world now.)

One comment that you made puts a new perspective on a situation that I am facing, however. Since my current insurance is a student policy paid through Aug, I started looking for a new health insurance. I applied for a Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy and was denied because of a history of risk factors including "endrometrosis, fibroids, and ovarian cysts treated by a hysterectomy, ongoing treatment of incision infection and depression treated by counseling." The hysterectomy removed the possibility of the endrometrosis, fibroid, or ovarian cysts from ever coming back. I have no ovaries on which to get cysts, no uterus to leak it lining or develop a fibroid. The mental health portion was an optional, add on part of the policy, so I would think if that was their concern, they could deny the mental health coverage. That would leave an infection which I told them on the phone treatment had started the day I applied. Logically, that would mean they would consider it as part of the denial if one happened to have sinus infection at the time of application. Your comment made me think that they are looking for reasons to deny people at the current rates, so that they can get more money once they raise their rates.

They did send me information on the state's program of higher rates for people who have been denied insurance. I would be struggling to make the payment for the rate at which I applied, I cannot afford to pay $120/mo more, let alone 100%-400% more. The state also has a program for low income insurance, but you have to go four months without insurance in order to apply.

The good news is, the hospital has approved me for their financial assistance program, so whatever my current insurance does not pay of the hospital's portion will be covered 100%. Not all of it was the hospital, but the total bill for my surgery was close to my taxable income from last year. The insurance company is still trying to decide if the February hospital visit ($12,000) is covered or not, since if there is any mention of anemia in my records in the 6 months prior to when I got the policy in October, they will consider it pre-existing. They don't mention anemia in any of the codes or doctor's notes, but one lab shows my hemoglobin as low and they requested lab reports as well.

On a brighter note, I went to my doctor on Tuesday and she released me to go back to work on Monday. With how difficult my surgery was, she was surprised that I went off the painkillers within a week of surgery. She also said it surprised her how well I looked while still in the hospital. My lifting restriction changed from 10 lbs to 20 lbs, but I don't have a job that involves lifting. As I told the doctor, the only lifting I do is if a kindergartner or 1st grader wants a certain tote of toys and the totes are stacked. But since the older girls are constantly moving the totes to create a wall around the kitchen for a cafe, they can help me move the totes if needed. Plus the director decided that the sub can stay on for the rest of the school year as well, so he can move the totes if he is not in the gym at the time.

Well, I have a mess in my living room from sorting boxes of papers that I need to get organized. I accomplished the goal of sorting all 6 boxes of misc. paper while on medical leave, but now need to find homes for the ones I am keeping. Most will go in the file cabinet, which I also cleaned out and sorted. My goal is to get this done today before picking up the boys from school this afternoon.
ImageImage

"We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners."

You have wearied the LORD with your words.
“How have we wearied him?” you ask.
By saying, “All who do evil are good in the eyes of the LORD, and he is pleased with them” or “Where is the God of justice?”

Malachi 2:17

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri May 17, 2013 2:32 pm

BeachGrandma, I wish I knew what to advise. My suspicion is that doctors and clinics are being as overwhelmed with Ocare as employers are. Buy in, or be fined, puts everyone between a rock and a hard place. I hope I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I have heard enough to be concerned that destruction of the entire system is one goal of the global elite.

What I would do for myself (although I am blessed with brothers who are family-practice physicians) is to connect to a new doctor through family or friends, who could accompany and introduce you. That would help give you an "in" with a new doctor.

As for your old doctor, I would ask only that my records be released to me. Either that, or just leave and don't say a thing. Your new doctor could get the records after the fact, if so desired, and after meeting you and forming his/her own opinion regardless of any codes in the record. I do suspect, however, that you would be the last person to have any negative comments, since I bet you are a as delightful a patient as you are the person we know and love!

Things may have been, or certainly are being, changed since my pre-Medicare years, so I don't know what today's options might be. But, since I've been a pretty healthy person (and do not like being a patient at all), I purchased only major medical insurance with the highest possible deductible to keep my monthly premiums low. I figured if worst came to worst (a major accident) I could come up with a $5000 deductible, but not millions.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri May 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Mariane, I have also considered changing doctors for some of the same reasons you have experienced. Even Carol, as sick as she was the past year, was treated differently during the past year. Treatment of a disease or condition is becoming dependent on the age of the individual, and is evaluated on cost vs the patient's longevity and benefit to society. Doctors are losing their freedom to diagnose and treat.

Funding for Medicare is being cut back drastically. Obamacare is just beginning to rear its ugly head. The effects of both will hit full-force within the next year or so. Insurance companies, clinics, hospitals, and doctors are scrambling to prepare for the changes. As a result, insurance premiums patients must pay will sky-rocket - if the insurance is even available to them.

I believe many or all insurance companies will be forced to discontinue health insurance because they won't be able meet the demands required by Obamacare at a cost the public can afford to pay.

There will be heavy penalties for not having insurance coverage, or acceptable coverage - forcing people into Obamacare. By the way, the IRS will manage the forced coverage/fines through our tax returns. Our tax returns filed next year will require extensive, detailed insurance information for IRS evaluation. Obamacare is much more about fund raising and control than it is about health care.

I belong to other message boards where these issues are often discussed. Some companies are no longer offering a health insurance plan to employees - choosing instead to pay the penalty. Those that will continue to offer it have raised the employee's portion of the premium to un-affordable levels. Many doctors are choosing to retire or seek another line of work due to risks to the patient and the demands of Obamacare. Besides, doctor's income levels will be drastically reduced.

We ain't seen nuthin' yet. Just wait, 'cause it'll get scary soon.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri May 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Don, you are right about doctors planning to retire early. I read this report today:

n fact, a recent Deloitte 2013 survey of U.S. physicians found 57% doctors view changes in the industry under health-care reform as a threat, and six in 10 physicians report it’s likely that many will retire earlier than planned in the next two to three years, fueling the shortage.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-fin ... z2TaGcDVAz

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Fri May 17, 2013 4:57 pm

So much for promising the moon, when the doctor-nurse shortage makes it impossible to respond to demand. So much has changed over the years I was a registered nurse. (My neighbor was so glad she had me next door willing to give her the shots she required, since she just couldn't do it for herself.) Things have been turned upside down, from the medical establishment doing too much, rather than encouraging people to take care of their health, to now having no provision for those who are helpless.

I remember the dear husband of one of our nursing home residents. He was so attentive to his wife, who was brain injured from a bad case of meningitis, that we all fell in love with him. When he fell on the ice and broke his arm going from the NH to his apartment, the ER treated him and sent him home. A neighbor alerted us that he was in terrible straits, in a lot of pain and unable to manage. Thank the Lord we knew him and were able to bypass the waiting list to take him in to the NH to provide care until he was back to normal.

Like Don said, we ain't seen nuthin yet. Every family, or neighborhood, should consider training a nurse/physician to keep on retainer! 8)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Sat May 18, 2013 8:38 am

I admit to being frightened of difficult days ahead,as well. I have fears that "Do no harm" will not apply to seniors. I was reminded some nights ago when I had some anxiety keeping me awake that what time I am afraid, I can trust in God.

One more thought here from my devotional reading today. Isaiah 40 is a wonderful chapter for anyone discouraged or fearful (Including me!). God will be our comfort. He will strengthen us when we are weak and carry us when we do not have the strength to walk AND in that day we will have no weakness.Our God is all-powerful and He loves us.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Sat May 18, 2013 10:52 am

Amen, my dear friend, Verna.

"For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded
that He is able to keep that which I've committed unto Him against that day."

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Sun May 19, 2013 3:00 pm

We had such a tremendous Pentecost worship service, today, while also celebrating our Pastor Wells' anniversary of 25 years with us. At the reception, following, one of his lifelong friends shared this testimony in music. What an opportunity we have as the Church of the Firstborn to bring the Good News to all people: a Savior, Christ the Lord, loves us so much He died to bring us all home. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uZcGaixMhg

People Need the Lord (with Lyrics)
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Sun May 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Bummer! I've been suffering from dishwater hands for three days.

You see, my old dishwasher broke on Thursday. The pump quit working. In fact, it probably burned out. I hereby declare my beloved dishwasher dead as a door nail. It would cost a small fortune to fix it, and I don't buy lottery tickets.

Okay, on Thursday I noticed that the bottom of the dishwasher was full of water - at least two or three gallons. That's not a good thing. Being a long-time saver of misc. stuff, I found a two-foot length of plastic hose and siphoned all of the water out.

The dishwasher had been giving off a burned/hot plastic smell for a week or two - a sure sign that something serious was about to happen. Besides that, a couple of the silverware baskets have big holes in the bottom, and at least one of the wash option switches refuses to work much the time.

My new dishwasher will be installed on Tuesday. The old one will go to that place where all bad dishwashers go. Oh, did I mention that new ones are a lot more expensive than I remember from years past?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to keep my dishwater hands to a minimum level by frantically searching the house for paper plates, paper cups, and plastic forks. The only other option would be to haul all my dirty dishes into the garage until the new dishwasher is in place, but maybe that's not a good idea. Washing dishes by hand is not my favorite activity, but ya do what ya gotta do when ya gotta do it.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

dub

Postby dub » Mon May 20, 2013 8:38 am

Cloudy and humid ... formula for rain. Too much outside work to do today, hope it hold off for a while. We are preparing the cottage for an influx of company next weekend. Y'all might as well plan on coming, everyone else is ....
"Here I am Lord, send me."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 am

Dub, I don't know how you do it! Our house was always full of people, too, so enjoy it while you can.

You beat everything I've ever seen, so I nominate you:

DUB, THE HOST WITH THE MOST !

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :party :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :music2 :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee :heehee

Mariane Holbrook

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Mon May 20, 2013 2:41 pm

We were truly blessed this weekend. Our 21 yr old grandson came to help Marty with the enormous task dealing with our landscaping. Shrubs to replace, enormous amount of trimming, and then a day of mulching! Thank God for the love of family support.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler