To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Mon May 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Barbie and BeachGrandma, you both moved me to tears. I had no idea my post would generate such heartfelt true stories. All I knew was how much I appreciated it, over the years when I longed for a houseful of my own, to receive a greeting from a family member "to a beloved aunt on Mother's Day."

Sometimes I've speculated that God gave some of us such love for children that we didn't need to bear our own in order to learn to love them. And, I've suspected that other women had to bear a child to discover such a love. Still others that I've heard or read about that see children as intrusions in life that one has to "cope" with startle me speechless. Children can be a handful, but oh how worth all the work might be just to enjoy their little faces, smiles and tears, laughter and words, cuddles and play. And, God is so good. When they grow out of that precious toddler-childhood that we miss so much, they become lifetime friends, and God sends another generation of little ones to enjoy all over again.

Now I have to :cry: go blow my nose!
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm

I hope these photos don't turn out as huge as they did when I posted them on facebook. Here are two of my favorites, whose mother couldn't cope, leaving my brother with these two precious babies.

The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon May 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Edy, I'll confess here and now that I don't know why you didn't marry and have 12 children. You were so beautiful in these pictures and still today, that you must have intimidated every man within 100 miles of you. I'm sure you haven't shared the disappointments you've had in the vast field of romanticism and we don't need to know. Maybe your brothers thought all your suitors unworthy and shooed them off. But it heartens me to know all that love was not wasted but poured freely on those nieces and nephews and doubtless many others who need it. Those pictures are so telling and so lovely. I'm so proud to call you my friend. :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :hugs2 :handshake :handshake :handshake :handshake :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :grouphug2 :grouphug2 :grouphug2 :grouphug2
Last edited by BeachGrandma on Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon May 13, 2013 4:18 pm

The same is true of you, Barb and also Laurie. I have three nephews who are in their 50s and who've never married. They love the Lord Jesus, but they never came across the one person who they felt had God's Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval stamped on them and directed to my nephews' doorsteps. One of them God has blessed financially and the more he helps his family and his church, the more God blesses him. What a godly man he is. One of my nieces was going through a very hard time financially and had a disabled husband. Can you believe my nephew secretly had a $39,000 custom van delivered to her house a few months ago? He doesn't know that some of us know about it because he doesn't operate that way. Another of my nephews hasn't worked in 3 years because of an industrial accident where he worked. The company denies any wrong-doing and he has been without a paycheck for 3 years. I learned recently that my blessed nephew has been supporting him all this time, and as he did with all his other gifts, he never tells anyone about it. He sent all three of his sister's sons to a private Christian high school, then paid for all their college expenses. He has offered to pay their way to medical school if that's what they decide to do. Four times a year, he sends them airline tickets to Africa to visit their missionary parents. He paid for his parents' retirement home and nursing home expenses for years before they both died. He goes to a small church in New York City where he lives, and because it's in the inner city and reaches out to drug addicts, alcoholics, etc., the membership is very poor indeed. He and the pastor and his wife visit these needy people two nights a week and it isn't a stretch to think that my nephew probably keeps the church afloat. A more humble, quiet man you've never met. He is the "father" to those who need it, whereas the dear women here on our porch have been the "mother" to so many who need it. God bless all of you. I love a generous spirit more than anything else in a person, and I know God delights in seeing His beloved children become His arms and legs for the needy around them. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :angel2 :angel2 :angel2 :angel2 :angel2 :angel2 :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou :loveyou

Mariane Holbrook

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon May 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Dear BeachGrandma, you have such a generous-heart way with words. Thank you for your kind assessment of me and my photos. And, that nephew of yours sounds like a reflection of your dear dad. Aren't we all blessed to know such people (my Howard has an unmarried sister and brother that I suspect are responsible for many hidden blessings to people on the edge, too)! God is so good.

Those photos I ran across, while sorting old stuff in my basement, gave me a topic for my May Salt & Light Report, as the memories flooded back. You can read it here:

One Hope

If you've never seen the movie referenced, here's a link to give you a hint. But, I do not recommend this movie. It is so painful that I know I couldn't bear to watch it again, myself:

Sophie's Choice
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Mon May 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Today, I am ashamed to admit that I reside in the State of Minnesota.

Lord, forgive its government leaders for they know not what they do.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon May 13, 2013 10:05 pm

ready2go wrote:Today, I am ashamed to admit that I reside in the State of Minnesota.

Lord, forgive its government leaders for they know not what they do.

Don

So many thoughts come to mind. "Hard cases make bad law," being one.
Pandora's Box, being another. I'm afraid we haven't seen the end of this by a long shot. See:
http://christiannews.net/2013/02/28/can ... ate-crime/

(I once asked our pastor why these advocates couldn't leave the church out of it. He said that they crave validation. I take that to mean that they hope to remove the guilt, just as abortion advocates sued hospitals that refused to do abortions. As if guilt would be lifted by making sure everyone had blood on her hands. So sad, because that route simply doesn't "work!" Only Jesus can turn such misery around.)

And, thoughts on judgment: "Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened...Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness...For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections...." (Romans 1)

Symptoms of the root cause, "the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, who can know it? I the LORD search the heart, [I] try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, [and] according to the fruit of his doings" (Jeremiah 17:9-10)

I guess we shouldn't be surprised.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 pm

BeachGrandma, I keep forgetting to tell you how much I like your signature!

I am in the Witness Protection Program. I witness and God protects me.
Mariane Holbrook
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 am

Thank you, Edy. I wish I could say it originated with me but the truth is, I saw it on someone's website and thought it was clever yet had a great message.

Mariane Holbrook

dub

Postby dub » Tue May 14, 2013 7:19 am

Chilly morning in the swamp. Carolina blue skies, but temp at 50F. Gonna be 84F tomorrow. God's hand in nature never ceases to amaze me.

Local news. Please say a prayer for those involved. A small jeep attempted to pass on a two lane highway near here. Unfortunately he met an 18wheel semi head on. The jeep driver, naturally, was killed. But, I pray for the truck driver too, though helpless in the situation, his vehicle claimed a life. I know, the driver must be very upset today.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue May 14, 2013 9:11 pm

My son and I played nine holes of golf this morning. We got out there before the temperatures went crazy today. It was 97 degrees by late afternoon. Just three nights ago I brought my pansy pots inside thinking they might croak from frost.

I had not golfed for the last three years, but prior to that I had been part of a foursome on a local golf league. After three summers of not playing, I wasn't expecting very much.

However, I played bogey golf (one over par for those who don't play). That was a huge surprise to me. I beat my son by ten strokes, too.

Maybe he just let the old man win today. :?

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

dub

Postby dub » Wed May 15, 2013 5:54 am

Temps on the upswing in the swamp. Y'all have a great day celebrating the Lord Jesus Christ.

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 am

So thankful to be able to sit in the cool of the morning to chat with friends on the porch.

A belated congratulations on Nurse's Day to our sweet Edy--my what a pretty girl you were.

Thankful for the moms and aunts who have the happy memories of mothering and realizing you made a difference in children's lives.

I never dreamed I'd live to be a great grandmother (and like it)! My husband and I rejoiced Sunday in the dedication of Ella Lynn and Titus Cole who bring us such happiness.

Don, bless you have so many decisions to make as you grieve the loss of your life-long bride. I wonder if there wouldn't be some shelters for battered women and/or some places where expectant mothers can stay who have refused to abort their babies who would be glad to receive Carol's items. I think that would have pleased her. (I know the clothes would not fit some pregnant women now--but maybe later.

Dub, it's a beautiful Carolina morning! and our cool spell is over.

thankful for each of you!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Wed May 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Verna wrote:
Don, bless you have so many decisions to make as you grieve the loss of your life-long bride. I wonder if there wouldn't be some shelters for battered women and/or some places where expectant mothers can stay who have refused to abort their babies who would be glad to receive Carol's items. I think that would have pleased her. (I know the clothes would not fit some pregnant women now--but maybe later.

Almost all of Carol's clothing items are being donated to a local women's shelter. She specifically wanted them to have her clothing. Some other items will go to the Salvation Army.

We are about half done with the distributions.

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

dub

Postby dub » Thu May 16, 2013 6:18 am

Carolina Blue skies, temps are supposed to be in the 90s here in coastal NC. Best advice is stay in the shade. I will be leading a wonderful Christian group in T'ai Chi exercise later today. We will at the Gazebo in the village. It is at the confluence of two rivers and the scenery is awesome. I hope the wind dies down a bit for the class. Then later this evening I will be speaking to the Writer's Roundtable. Shamefully, my ego is soaring. Y'all have a blessed day.

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler