To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Thu May 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Look who's on the Porch, today:

Since some of you may have never visited the Southern Porch, or met the official Hostess, I volunteered to bring the Porch to you! 8)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Verna

Postby Verna » Thu May 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Delightful, dear Mariane--You and the boys on the glider!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Thu May 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Picture of contentment! I guess I never realized either how much the boys look alike. Such smiles!
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu May 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Minnesota is circling the drain along with many other states. As a whole our nation has cast aside its sense of values and morality. As a whole our nation is no longer a nation under God. As a whole there is no longer any respect for biblical principles. As a whole it has lost its fear of the Lord.

By a large margin the Minnesota House approved a bill today that could create same-sex marriage. The Senate is expected to also pass the legislation.

If passed, the state would become the 12th to redefine marriage. The legislation would allow same-sex marriages beginning Aug. 1. Gov. Mark Dayton has said he would sign the bill if it reaches his desk.

The very thought of that makes me sick!

It is also sad that many churches support such abominations. Cleverly worded arguments, advertisements appealing to human emotions, 'christian-in-name-only' individuals manipulating scripture to fit their agenda, and more, have caused people to follow like lemmings tumbling over a cliff.

Satan and his minions must be singing and dancing in the streets.

So where will it end? Answer: It won't. Eventually all of the states will follow suit, and it will happen sooner rather than later. Don't say it won't happen in your state, because it will happen. It is like a tsunami sweeping over everything in its path. This garbage is promoted in the schools, in the media, in the entertainment world, in professional sports, in the military, in churches...and almost everywhere else you look.

I believe the day is coming when most Bible believing Christians who stand for biblical Truth will be forced into the closet and silenced, or endure serious penalties for being a terrorism threat to society with their biblical world-view.

Will you stand firm for biblical Truth regardless of the consequences, or will you be among the herd of lemmings on the way to sure destruction?

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

dub

Postby dub » Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 am

Beautiful Carolina morning ... oh, what God has created.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Fri May 10, 2013 6:07 pm

That was very sweet of you, Edy. I grew up with a glider similar to that one. In my infancy, Daddy would rock me to sleep on the glider at nights when I was restless with eczema. In my childhood, Mother would read stories to all of us children who piled around and on her on the glider. In my pre-teen years, I'd hide inside the house under the open window that was directly behind the glider, and listen to my older sister and her boyfriend smooching on the glider. (I learned everything I ever needed to know about the birds and bees from that spot.) In my teen years, I would sit with my head on my boyfriend's shoulder, rocking away, sure I'd found true love at last. In In my adult years, I'd go home for a visit, and rock my own babies on that glider, soothing away the hurts and kissing away the tears.

And when I die, I hope they can build a casket big enough to hold my glider, so I can stretch out, rock, and be as content as being six feet under can be.

:superhappy :superhappy :superhappy :sofa :sofa :sofa :eyes :eyes :eyes :sleep :sleep :sleep :redface2 :redface2 :orangeyes :orangeyes :orangeyes :joker2 :joker2 :joker2 :love2 :love2 :love2
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri May 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Recently I have been working the slow and painful process of collecting, sorting, and cataloging Carol's clothes and other belongings. I have already donated some to a Women's shelter, but there is much yet to do.

Carol was a clothes hound as you will see from the list I have made so far.

(27) Fall/winter jackets including dressy coats.
(67) Jeans and pants - not including dressy slacks.
(78) Dressy shirts and tops.
(19) Pair of gloves.
(54) Dressy pull-over sweaters.
(37) Pair of shoes.
(Approx. 60) casual pull-over tops.

Many of the above items have never been worn, and still had original tags on them.

The items collected so far are from two walk-in closets. There are two more with clothes in them. I have not yet begin to collect her purses, sweat shirts, belts, dressy dresses w/jackets, summer shorts, and other casual clothing items. I don't want to even think about the rings, watches, and other jewelry.

Many of the items were very pricey. I hope people in need will be found to use them.

Don
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

dub

Postby dub » Fri May 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Tough work Don, when my mother passed away Miss P and I had much the same challenge, we donated to both a rest home and to the shelter. We had many kind messages from women who received clothing gifts. We did the same with my father's clothes with much the same result. They lived in a small town, and were loved by many folks. By the way, the rest home was most appreciative of underwear FYI.

God Bless you my friend, I know a bit of the trial you are going through.

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Fri May 10, 2013 8:02 pm

dub wrote:Tough work Don, when my mother passed away Miss P and I had much the same challenge, we donated to both a rest home and to the shelter. We had many kind messages from women who received clothing gifts. We did the same with my father's clothes with much the same result. They lived in a small town, and were loved by many folks. By the way, the rest home was most appreciative of underwear FYI.

God Bless you my friend, I know a bit of the trial you are going through.

Thank you, Dub. Ten weeks ago today my bride of almost 50 years was called Home to be with her Savior and Lord. The wound in my heart is still very fresh. Time will heal the wound, but the scar will remain.

Although I/we were prepared in many ways, the past ten weeks have been a trial I would not wish for anyone.

I appreciate your comments, Dub. Again, I thank you!

Don

"My Journey To Jesus"

"The Israel Connection"

dub

Postby dub » Sat May 11, 2013 6:29 am

Starting out with partly cloudy skies, but weather dude says severe storms are blowing in off the Atlantic. Finally, with help of son, got jeep top back on, now hurrying to Saturday errands done before the blow. Y'all have a wonderful weekend with the blessings of the Lord.

Edy

Postby Edy » Mon May 13, 2013 12:11 am

This is not only International Nurses' Day, besides being Mothers' Day, but also the anniversary of the Mother's Day my parents brought me to the Lord in holy baptism. I doubt they realized it was also Florence Nightingale's birthday. But, the Lord has a great sense of humor. He must have called me from my mother's womb, because I never remember not wanting to be a nurse! ...and a mother. :)

Besides saluting mothers of every sort, I'm partial to aunts who often stand in for missing moms. My sister-in-law Mary had such an aunt, who spent the rest of her life caring for Mary. I think especially of the dear woman who stepped in to relieve the grief in my niece Lisa's family, after Lisa died from complications of cancer (leaving five young children). I don't know how many foster children she and Larry have also cared for in addition to the five.

I've been auntie almost as long as I've been a nurse. And, what a blessing to have all those little ones to love over the years when I had none of my own. I'm so grateful to the Lord that my brothers and sisters and their spouses shared their little ones with me. And, of course, I have to thank my Howard and Phyllis, his first wife who also died from cancer, for giving me four of the best children any mother would be proud to claim...and 23 grandchildren! God knows I love those little ones! 8)
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

dub

Postby dub » Mon May 13, 2013 8:48 am

Partly cloudy in our neck of the woods ... cool too, down to 60 ... good day to get some things done outdoors before the midweek heat wave. Y'all have a wonderful day praising the Lord for the beauty of His earth.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon May 13, 2013 9:45 am

Edy, that was such a beautiful post! It evoked several memories.

I LOVE the tribute you made to aunts and those who stepped in to help where mothers could not (or in some cases, chose not) to be there for their children. My mother had 7 sisters. Growing up in the lovely hills of Pennsylvania, they didn't always receive the love and attention they wanted from their mother. She had a hard life, with a husband gone much of the time trying to make a living, once even going to California to find Gold, if you can imagine! But God provided a neighbor on the next farm the girls loving called, "Auntie Ella." She was a single woman living alone all her adult life. She deeply loved the 8 girls in Mother's family and in a kind, unobtrusive way made herself available to them, to listen to their woes, encourage them in their studies and most importantly, finally (in their own time), leading each girl to the Lord Jesus where they asked Him to rule and reign in their hearts forever. My grandmother did not embrace that faith until her later years which did nothing to diminish her in the eyes of all of us who loved her dearly. All their lives the eight girls spoke lovingly of Auntie Ella as the most important person in their growing-up years.

Another good example of an aunt that God used is our own Barbara. I love reading Barb's accounts of visiting her precious niece and grand-nieces. They are clearly the most important people in Barb's world and as she pours out her love to them, she receives the love that all women need, married or not.

I had an absolutely wonderful Mother's Day here with both my sons coming, bearing HUGE baskets or vases of flowers. Our older son, Johnny, brought everything he needed as a gourmet cook to prepare dinner for us, (skewered shrimp and vegetables, broiled Mahi-Mahi (fish to die for), fresh fruit salad with lime and honey dressing, corn on the cob, hot corn bread and finally, dessert which we enjoyed 2 hours later (homemade Bisquick shortcakes with tons of fresh strawberries and REAL WHIPPING CREAM!) Oh, my! Even after all the preparation in the kitchen 2 hours before dinner was served, Johnny very graciously entertained us all (which he usually does at dinner), telling story after story, some of which were real cliff-hangers! Tim was here with his girlfriend, Christine, and my nephew Dan was here with us, too.

All for now.

Mariane Holbrook

Ms. Barbie

Postby Ms. Barbie » Mon May 13, 2013 10:25 am

I read Edy's post and was ready to jump in and say "That's me!" Then read further, and noted that Marianne had already acknowledge me. :)
My niece, Stephanie, came to live with me when she was 10 1/2 because her mother did not want to deal with her.( It's a long, convoluted story and not one I want to publically share.)

Anyway, I was 38,besides having had a hysterectomy that January. We had some tough times, but my parents were very helpful. Stephanie needed me, and I so needed her! I call her God's second best gift to me :D

She was a beautiful girl and always boy crazy. She always had a boyfriend and male friends. My own life lacked any male influence, other that my dad, but he died when she was 15. At age 22, she met a guy online and married him February 2005 after knowing him 6 months. The abusive marriage lasted 3 months, but good came of it when she became pregnant with Sammi. Stef returned home to me, and I helped raise Sammi for the next two years. Sammi has blue eyes-like me. Her father had brown eyes and mother had green eyes. We have a special bond.

Stephanie met a guy in her Sunday School class at our church, and they married in June of 2008 and moved to Colorado Springs and now have added 3 more beautiful daughters! Husband Tristan is a saint, and even legally adopted Sammi shortly after the wedding. They moved again to North Carolina in August.

The family of 6 has been out here for Tristan's work, for nearly 6 weeks! They returned home on Saturday. It's been emotionally rough for me- I love those girls sooo much. Mother's day was hard and I would tear up whenever someone mentioned them.

Some day, I just may move to North Carolina to be with them. Right now, my mother needs me and other logistics that would be difficult to work out. Besides, it's in God's hands.
Barb Culler

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 am

Your niece and her children are certainly provisions of the Lord, Barb. Isn't it great that the children all love you and you get along well with their daddy, too? I'm sure we have no idea the extent of your relationship with your niece and the kids. They obviously adore you. It would be great if sometime you could move to North Carolina. I moved here from New York state right after John and I were married and I've loved every minute of it. It's a truly beautiful state from the Blue Ridge Mountains all the way down to the beautiful beaches and everything in between. I so wish my health was better so I could entertain like I used to. My days are so unpredictable, depending on whether my back decides to cooperate or stubbornly refuses to do so. I felt awful to have to turn down the opportunity to invite George, Dub and others from FW and FB to dinner. Entertaining like that is what I did all my life and it's so disappointing that I can no longer do it. :( :(

Mariane Holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler