Formatting of Entries

All the facts about the Challenge and special announcements from the Coordinator.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Formatting of Entries

Post by Deb Porter »

Hi Challengeers.

Just a quick reminder to avoid using anything too fancy when formatting your Challenge entries. This is in the rules:
Formatting, if any, should be kept to the most basic HTML. In other words, italics, bold, underlining and centering. Any other formatting (for example, different fonts, font sizes, colors, shaped text or images) used in Challenge entries may be removed. This is to ensure entries are being judged on the quality and creativity of the writing, not the quality and creativity of layout and design
There is an entry this week with shaped text. It was submitted in the final hours of the Challenge, so I wasn't able to do anything about it (because I was fast asleep here on the other side of the world), so it won't be disqualified. However, I just want to make sure everyone is aware of this rule so we don't get a flood of entries with fancy formatting, images, whistles and bells in the weeks ahead (which is why we brought in this rule in the first place. It was getting a little out of hand.)

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

tomoral
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Re: Formatting of Entries

Post by tomoral »

:thankssign And I was gonna do a building on fire for sizzle! :lol:
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

tomoral wrote::thankssign And I was gonna do a building on fire for sizzle! :lol:
LOL ... wouldn't surprise me. Image

We brought the rule in a few years ago because the formatting was making it impossible to really judge those particular entries fairly (the playing field became uneven). The final decider was when a really talented young writer submitted a children's story with loads of pictures he had created himself. The story was very basic, but of course the pictures meant it was very creative. But then, this was the Writing Challenge, not the clever formatting and pictures Challenge. So we had to take it back to basics.

Love, Deb
Deb

KennAllan
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by KennAllan »

Sometimes even the simplest of things can get'cha. I remember my entry, "Deliver Us From Kittens," when all my long dashes were turned into "¾."

Lesson: Always preview/check your entry BEFORE hitting the Submit button.
judi
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by judi »

Now I'm curious. How does one fancify formatting?
KJV 1 Timothy 3:16
"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

RED INK WELCOME!

Congratulations to all for your incredibly beautiful entries, who feel His Holy Spirit move within us as we write to honor Him through these wondrous heartbeats of praise to YHWH! I love you all.
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Kenn, you aren't the first one to get bitten by a formatting glitch (not your fault).

Judi, it's just using HTML code to layout the pages in a fancier way. We don't mind italics, bold or centering, but shaped text, images, colored font, fancy fonts, different sized font fits the fancy formatting rule.

But feel free to use italics, bold and centering on your entries. Here's a FAQ to help you:

http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... =35&t=3697

Love, Deb
Deb

pcimeisr
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by pcimeisr »

I am not sure how to get italics to transfer over. I saw something about using certain keys like left arrow with an "I" in the middle and a right arrow. I don't know how to do this and if that is the way to get a word document to show italics. does that mean you put left arrow before the word you in italics and then the right arrow? I read where it isn't professional to use all caps or bold or underline to emphasize a word. Than you for your help.
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

pcimeisr wrote:I am not sure how to get italics to transfer over. I saw something about using certain keys like left arrow with an "I" in the middle and a right arrow. I don't know how to do this and if that is the way to get a word document to show italics. does that mean you put left arrow before the word you in italics and then the right arrow? I read where it isn't professional to use all caps or bold or underline to emphasize a word. Than you for your help.
It's a simple bit of HTML code (simple once you know what it is). Here's the FAQ to help you:

http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... =35&t=3697
Deb

pcimeisr
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by pcimeisr »

Thanks! I will try that code next time need to emphasize a word.

Return to “Rules, Ratings, Judges and Official Info”