To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Edy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Southern Porch Extension

Postby Edy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks for the reminder, BeachGrandma - I nearly forgot, myself! :rolling :lol: :P
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

dub

Postby dub » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:42 am

Per the grits conversation:

My grandmother used to make fried grit patties - as I remember we covered them with gravy. Her biscuits were made by hand with lots of lard ... add butter ... oh, my ... no wonder I fight the budge today.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:53 am

Marianne, I LOVE those Hardy biscuits...the whole thing....but I haven't had one in years! I generally don't care for biscuits. (Will I be run off this Southern Porch? Lol). But theirs go down easy! I prefer rolls to biscuits and used to make my own rolls from my mother in laws recipe. Um um good!

Has anyone tried the cherry bread at Bob Evans? They have it seasonally and generally I try to pick up a loaf at least once in the season and bring home for a week of breakfast. Which, come to think of it, I have one slice left. Think I will go grab it with maybe a cup of tea before I tackle paying bills.
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:09 pm

The only Hardy resturant I'm aware of is located 20 miles away in a neighboring town. I don't get out that way very often.

Maybe they deep fry grits, too.

By the way, my daughter is out of surgery, out of recovery, and is now in her room. She said that the surgery for her hip replacement only took 26 minutes, and that the surgeon did two others while she was in recovery. she was also told by the nurses that people come from other states just to have him do their hip surgeries.

The guy must be really good...and probably drives expensive cars, too.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks for the update, Don. Praise the Lord for good medical/surgical care!

Our pastor is probably in surgery about now, as he was the last case scheduled for the day.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

Verna

Postby Verna » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:44 pm

You all are making me hungry. I'll take Dub's last piece of pecan pie if he hasn't scarfed it down and a couple of Hardee biscuits--I'll pass on the fried grits. I've been living in the South since I was 16, and this is the first year I have eaten grits and liked them, especially cheesy grits.

Thanks for the report Don. I hope your daughter's hip will be good for way beyond the expected years.

We don't have snow, but after a week of 80's, we're back in the 50's and 60's. I love the sunshine though.
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

Edy

Postby Edy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:02 pm

This just in from our pastor:

Ok, I lived through it. :-)

They replaced both the metal and plastic cups. I can't feel my legs yet, but all numbers are very good. Thanks for your love and prayers.
The Power of Story
Essentially Lutheran

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:38 pm

They kept my daughter in the recovery area until she could move her feet. After that was done and okay, then, she was placed in her hospital room.

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

dub

Postby dub » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:09 am

Just took our winter coats to the dry cleaners ... hope I am not premature. Near 80F for today but down in the 60s the rest of the week and weekend. I know when we are in the bleak part of summer I will be wishing for some 60F weather.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:48 am

Happy, happy birthday, dear Edy!

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

Verna

Postby Verna » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Happy, happy Birthday, Dear Edy. I baked you a cake---can you taste it?---I'm singing Happy Birthday to you---can you hear me?---I'm giving you a hug---Can you feel it?---I'm sending a prayer for you to receive a blessing---can you sense it? May this whole year be filled with God's blessings!
Verna

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...
Proverb 17:22

Facebook author page: Verna Cole Mitchell
http://www.magnificomanuscripts.com/

deejay

Postby deejay » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:38 pm

On the subject of grits, when I was in high school, my mom bought some instant grits. I ate them for a few mornings--not bad, close to Cream of Wheat in flavor--but then I started to break out in hives and itch terribly. I realized it had to be the grits and stopped eating them. End of problem.

Now, if you want a terrific breakfast, which can also serve as a slendid lunch or dinner, it's scrambled eggs and potatoes. You peel a medium potato for each serving--usually I make two--slice the short way, and boil until soft; drain. Take a medium/large egg for each potato--again, I use two--and put whatever form of grease you prefer to use--cooking spray, oil, margarine or butter--into a frying pan. When it's hot, slide the boiled potatoes into the pan and fry them until they brown. Break the eggs over the potatoes and scramble them through the potatoes . When the eggs are firm, serve it up with salt, pepper and best of all, ketchup. YUUUUMMMMMYYYY!

Last night, one of my roommates begged me to make pickled beet eggs.Hardboil 6-12 eggs, as many as you want; in a saucepan, empty two cans of sliced beets, and heat. Add white vinegar and sugar, tasting as you go along, until it gets to a point where you like it. I usually try to strike a balance between sweet and sour. After the eggs are hardboiled, cooled and peeled, put them into the hot beets and juice until it cools, making sure to keep the eggs under the beet juice mixture. Refrigerate after it has cooled. They are ready to eat after 24 hours in the juice, and will be a beautiful red-purple color from the beets. I can make six of these disappear in less than a week. I made six for my roommate and six for me last night. My roomie and I can barely wait to eat them tonight! Of course, I put hers and mine in separate containers!

Both these recipes are courtesy of my mom's Pennsylvania Dutch heritage. I didn't learn much cooking from Dad.

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Oh I LOVE beets and I know we'll love pickled beet eggs! Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EDY,

WE KNOW YOU'RE NOT GREEDY.

SO PLEASE SHARE YOUR BIRTHDAY CAKE

OR YOU'LL HAVE A TUMMY ACHE!

:birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday

EDY, EDY, I'VE BEEN THINKING

WHAT A SAD WORLD THIS WOULD BE

IF YOU WOULD CANCEL ALL YOUR BIRTHDAYS

SO YOU'D STILL BE THIRTY-THREE.

:rolling :superhappy :rolling :superhappy :rolling :superhappy :rolling :superhappy :birthday :party :birthday :party :birthday :party :birthday :party :birthday :party

Another candle on your cake?

Well, that's no cause to pout.

Be glad that you have strength enough

To blow that huge fire out.

:birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday :birthday
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:34 pm

This is the cutest baby elephant I've ever seen. I want him!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/bu_E2f0mQmI?rel=0
"Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
'How great Thou art, how great Thou art..."

Mariane Holbrook

Green Leaves

Postby Green Leaves » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:17 pm

How cute was that?! I wish I had his energy! LOL

In honor of Edy's birthday, I cleaned out my refrigerator! I would hate to admit how long it's been! I've been doing one small task a day that I've put off forever....like cleaning out under bathroom sinks, kitchen sink, bathroom drawers, etc. I keep telling myself even if I don't have huge amounts of energy, one little thing a day helps a LOT!

Now I could sure use a piece of that birthday cake with a cup of coffee. Anyone want to join me?

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler